Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Understanding the real GMAT test center experience [#permalink]
Kudos
I can answer two of your questions.

Question 1: Just make sure that you arrive at the test center before the scheduled time. The check-in time varies, and they never aim to start your test at the exact appointment time. You may start your test a bit earlier or later, but you do not need to worry about the time. For one thing, without your cellphone, you may not even know the time! (There might be a clock on the wall, but I never paid any attention.)

Question 3: The instruction part can take a few minutes if you do not speed thorough it. I took my time because I can use the time to write down quick lookup lists, such as prime numbers within 100.

I went to the same test center for my two GMAT tests. The experience was pleasant. Just follow the instructions, and you will not be inconvenienced.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:

Question 1: Just make sure that you arrive at the test center before the scheduled time. The check-in time varies, and they never aim to start your test at the exact appointment time. You may start your test a bit earlier or later, but you do not need to worry about the time. For one thing, without your cellphone, you may not even know the time! (There might be a clock on the wall, but I never paid any attention.)

Question 3: The instruction part can take a few minutes if you do not speed thorough it. I took my time because I can use the time to write down quick lookup lists, such as prime numbers within 100.

I went to the same test center for my two GMAT tests. The experience was pleasant. Just follow the instructions, and you will not be inconvenienced.

Good luck!

That helps. Thank you Zhanbo!
You never had to fill up the programs? (Based on Question 2)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
akashm07 wrote:
zhanbo wrote:

Good luck!

That helps. Thank you Zhanbo!
You never had to fill up the programs? (Based on Question 2)

I certainly did not fill up any programs in the test center. And one can definitely pay a fee to send scores later.
I just do not know if you can still send scores for free after the test. (But such details should be clearly spelt out on the official site.)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Understanding the real GMAT test center experience [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
akashm07 wrote:
Hi All,

I've read up about various test center experiences, but couldn't get certain queries resolved. I have my GMAT scheduled in the coming week, and the center is located a bit far from where I live. Since this will be my first attempt, it would be great if anyone with test center experience can help me get an idea of the following :

1. The exam is scheduled at 17:00 hours, and the appointment shows a slot of 210 minutes. Does the test center allow us to sit in front of the computer at the exact appointment time, or they're flexible with the start time?
2. I read on the official site that the 5 Universities/Programs where we might want to send our GMAT scores for free are to be selected before the exam begins. Is this a mandatory thing? Or I can select them a day before/after as well? If not, do we have like a certain fixed time to get this done? For ex : "Select within the next 5 mins"
3. How long is the usual instruction/setup/filling up details phase before the actual test sections begin? Assuming there would be additional steps as compared to those on the official mock CATs

I live a bit far from the test center and also get a bit anxious for "exams" in general, therefore to avoid any last minute unexpected screens/experiences that might affect my GMAT, I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out with the above details and any additional tips to keep in mind for the same.

Thanks,
Akash

1. I don't think they are flexible with start times, so who up 30 minutes early, and you should be good to for your exact start time.

2. Here is all you need to know: How to Send GMAT Scores to Schools

3. It does not take more than a minute or 2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Akash,

Most Test Centers are relatively small (meaning that they can only accommodate a specific number of Test-takers at any given time). That having been said, when you arrive, if there is an 'open' computer that is not booked for another Test-taker, then the Center Staff might allow you to begin your Test earlier than your specific appointment time (if that is something that you are interested in doing). In that same way, you might also be fine if you show up a little late (although I highly recommend giving yourself a bit of extra travel time on Test Day; arriving early is fine, but if you are running late, then the stress of having to 'rush' to the Test Center could throw off your Exam performance).

You can submit your Official Score to up to 5 Schools on Test Day for free - but you have to select the Schools at that time (there's an easy-to-use database available to you before your Exam begins, so it's neither difficult nor time-consuming to select the Schools). If you don't want to select Schools at that time, then that's fine, but you will end up paying an additional per-School fee later on to submit your Score when you apply.

There's a certain amount of administrative set-up before you enter the Computer Lab and before you begin the Exam (re: verifying your identity, putting your possessions in a secure locker, receiving your note-pad and marker, etc.). It's all fairly standard (remember, the Staff does this all day, every day as part of their jobs), but the amount of time needed will depend on the number of Test-takers who are there. Once you're sitting at your Computer, it shouldn't take more than a couple of additional minutes before you actually begin your first section of the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Consider calling up the test center to run you through how they do things.

GmatTutorKnight

Have you done this? Is it really helpful or even possible?

I honestly don’t think you need to call to find out how to select schools on the GMAT especially since the test center may be administering test for all kinds of standardized examinations and whoever picks up the phone, which is a big year, we have no clue about the GMAT procedures….

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
akashm07 wrote:
Hi All,

2. I read on the official site that the 5 Universities/Programs where we might want to send our GMAT scores for free are to be selected before the exam begins. Is this a mandatory thing? Or I can select them a day before/after as well? If not, do we have like a certain fixed time to get this done? For ex : "Select within the next 5 mins"

Thanks,
Akash

Hi. You will need to choose your schools before you start taking test. This process is different. If you’re taking it at home online as a result, you may get conflicting reports about the selection process but that’s simply because there are two formats and they have a different Procedure. The test center procedure is to choose five educational institutions that will receive your score reports before the test starts. You’ll have a huge list and you can search through it by name or by code and usually it’s pretty easy to use so you just need to know which schools you want to send your school report to. You can also send additional unlimited score reports but you’ll have to pay for them which is not optimal. Also, in case you receive a score that you are not happy with, you can cancel that score, and then that case your score will not be sent to the schools and universities chosen before the exam .

Good luck on your test. Hopefully we’re not too late. 😂

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
bb wrote:
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Consider calling up the test center to run you through how they do things.

GmatTutorKnight

Have you done this? Is it really helpful or even possible?

I honestly don’t think you need to call to find out how to select schools on the GMAT especially since the test center may be administering test for all kinds of standardized examinations and whoever picks up the phone, which is a big year, we have no clue about the GMAT procedures….

OP mentioned they "live a bit far from the test center and also get a bit anxious for "exams" in general, therefore to avoid any last minute unexpected screens/experiences". Perhaps the center may have been able to directly explain how flexible they are compared to other centers. Unfortunately, it seems this center isn't picking up so it's not an available option.

akashm07

Might be good to double check that the ID you are using is valid, accepted, and matches the name you provided to GMAC.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the answers!
Really helps clarify my questions, and hope it addresses some common queries for other first time test takers as well.
Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts