Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: Unexpected Dilemna [#permalink]
Kudos
$40,000 in loans, taken with an 8.5% fixed interest rate a 4.0% fee, would be about $517/mo or $6,200/yr for each of the next 10 years, at the worst. If you end up extending the life of your loan and/or re-entering public service (perhaps in an administrative role with the military) it could be less. It would be a tough call for me, but I think I would go for it, as I do sense that the recruiting and networking opportunities coming out of Cornell would be better. I would especially go for it if (a) I planned to have a dual income household with my significant other, (b) any mortgage payments I might have now or in the future could be easily managed with 500 less a month, and (c) any investments I planned to make to save for my kids college education could be easily made with 500 less a month. If no to either a, b or c or if I was certain I wanted to settle down in the greater Midwest region, I would head to Olin.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
40K is not that much money. Really. I had about 54K when I graduated, committed to a 10 year repayment plan and only pay $500 a month. On top of that, I clerked for 2 years while living in an expensive area which meant my salary was comparatively lower than yours is likely to be and didn't go as far considering the COL.

Go to the school you prefer.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I think you should also look at how long it will take you. Based off signing bonus, once you graduate you'll get an extra 15K plus you get another 10K in salary your first year minus taxes you're probably gonna be 20K paid back.

Plus since you're only borrowing 20K, you should be getting stafford for both which is at 6.8% (no great but still) and 17K of that is substidized during school.

I think the earning potential is very different between the schools, with a ROI of roughly 2-3 years, I would take cornell still :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
I think salary figures from schools are somewhat overrated. Schools usually have a different makeup of career fields which their graduates go, and as a result, it's not always comparing apples to apples.

I don't know averse to debt you are, and I think I'd go to whichever school I liked more.

I think in most career fields, Cornell's name is worth $40k more than Wash U's. I'm not sure which I'd choose. I'm not a big fan of Ithaca and haven't ever been to Stl. In my personal case, I happened to choose the school that gave me more money, but I liked it there a lot more too, and made my decision primarily on fit, and not based on the companies that recruit there. Only time will tell if that's a good decision.

One other thing that strikes me as a little weird is that wash u decided to offer you money now. Does that mean that their yield this year is especially poor? I might be reading into things, but I don't know if it's a good sign that a school ups its offer after you say no to them.

Good luck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Wow! What a dilemma!

I would still go for Cornell. The WashU package is sweet, but Cornell is so much more! It's one of those schools where just being from the school is a feat in any discipline. I knew of it as an international student before I even got interested in grad studies. Who the hell has heard of WashU?

Good job on these accomplishments!!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Cornell is a household name.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
To the HR departments of mid- and large-size companies, Washington University is also a household name.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Send PM
Thanks for all the feedback thus far. I feel comfortable in making my decision and alot of the comments here have added further confirmation to what I already knew. As a 28 year old with a family, Cornell feels like a much better fit purely based on demographics of other students. (WashU avg age is 25).

Regarding the offer this late, I dont think it is reading too deep to assume that yield was low and they didnt fill the class. To come back nearly a month after someone rejects your offer and give them a second chance, and 50K more (even after full tuition and fees are covered) tells me that they are missing a few niche student profiles.

I will stick with my guns and head to Cornell despite this new offer. As stated by one comment, only time will tell if this was the right decision.

Thanks for the help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I may be biased as Cornellian, but good choice, GrantChap :-D

If you are a grad student with a family, they hook you up with a good townhouse-looking housing. But it is located in north campus.. kinda far and REALLY far if it starts to snow. But so near the dining hall (foods soo good) that you don't have to worry about meals.

If you want off campus, when I graduated (2006), a nice place like an apt called 312, was about 1,500 for 1 bed room. There are whole bunch of apt in collegetown so you don't have to live too far. And finally, starbucks came to collegetown.

And I als recommend taking a cooking course for non-hotelies @ Hotel school right across the street. I TA-ed that course for several semesters, and it is such a fun class.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Grant, did we meet at Tepper welcome weekend? I don't think you can go wrong at Cornell. Despite the fact that it will cost you more money, I think Cornell is a much safer play and a good choice.
GMAT Club Bot