GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pres

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pres  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 10:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:52) correct 56% (01:43) wrong based on 1171 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pressure, people have found that paragliding require the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity.

a) that paragliding require the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity

b) the use of a variometer crucial for paragliding since it is impossible to detect thermal currents using normal human motion sensitivity

c) that paragliding requires the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity

d) paragliding to require the use of a variometer due to the fact that detecting thermal currents is not possible with the use of normal human motion sensitivity

e) that paragliding requires the use of a variometer since detected thermal currents are impossible to handle using normal human motion sensitivity

Is there a modifier issue in official answer? What do you guys think?
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pres  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 11:47
Hi nechets
I'm glad to help.

Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pressure, people have found that paragliding require the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity.

a) that paragliding require the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity
Wrong. S-V agreement. "paragliding" and "detecting" are singular nouns --> "require" and "are" are wrong.

b) the use of a variometer crucial for paragliding since it is impossible to detect thermal currents using normal human motion sensitivity
Correct. B uses placeholder "it". There is NO antecedent for "it".

c) that paragliding requires the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity
Wrong. S-V agreement. "detecting" is singular.

d) paragliding to require the use of a variometer due to the fact that detecting thermal currents is not possible with the use of normal human motion sensitivity
Wrong. Awkward structure.

e) that paragliding requires the use of a variometer since detected thermal currents are impossible to handle using normal human motion sensitivity
Wrong.
- Meaning problem. "detecting thermal currents" <-- express an action # "detected thermal currents" <-- express a noun.
- There should be a preposition before "using". "detected thermal currents are impossible to handle by using....."

Hope it helps

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 13:03
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 23:37
carcass wrote:
Unlike the birds, bla bla bla, for humans the use of X is essential...............10 seconds.

B

regards

Doesn't this logic, as it stands in the option seem to indicate that birds have not found the use of xxxxx essential which basically makes no sense.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User
Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pres  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 17:55
The full correct sentence is "Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pressure, people have found the use of a variometer crucial for paragliding since it is impossible to detect thermal currents using normal human motion sensitivity".

I'm a little bit confused. Should not a comma divide 'currents' and 'using'? For me, without comma the sentence sounds like the phrase 'using normal human motion sensitivity' modifies 'thermal currents', as if thermal currents were somehow using normal human motion sensitivity, which is impossible. As far as I know Verb-ing modifier not preceded by comma can modify ONLY preceding noun.
That's why I crossed answer B out.
Could someone clarify?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 02:26
vfqrk23 wrote:
The full correct sentence is "Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pressure, people have found the use of a variometer crucial for paragliding since it is impossible to detect thermal currents using normal human motion sensitivity".

I'm a little bit confused. Should not a comma divide 'currents' and 'using'? For me, without comma the sentence sounds like the phrase 'using normal human motion sensitivity' modifies 'thermal currents', as if thermal currents were somehow using normal human motion sensitivity, which is impossible. As far as I know Verb-ing modifier not preceded by comma can modify ONLY preceding noun.
That's why I crossed answer B out.
Could someone clarify?

vfqrk23 - You shouldn't think of the "thermal currents" part of the sentence as a modifier. It's a necessary part of the sentence and thus requires no comma because it's integral to clarifying the meaning of WHAT is used to detect thermal currents (human motion sensitivity) and the quality of that thing (normal, which is why a variometer is crucial).

Remember that it's important to apply these grammatical rules within the context of the meaning of each question/sentence.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 01:06
OP, B seems the best answer among the choices, but 'crucial for' is an incorrect idiomatic expression. 'crucial to XYZ' is the correct usage.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 01:06
OP, B seems the best answer among the choices, but 'crucial for' is an incorrect idiomatic expression. 'crucial to XYZ' is the correct usage.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 03:17
a) that paragliding require the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity --------------- requires should be there , not require - hence incorrect

b) the use of a variometer crucial for paragliding since it is impossible to detect thermal currents using normal human motion sensitivity ---------- i could eliminate others so this is correct ..

c) that paragliding requires the use of a variometer since detecting thermal currents are impossible using normal human motion sensitivity ------detecting thermal currents IS , not are --- incorrect

d) paragliding to require the use of a variometer due to the fact that detecting thermal currents is not possible with the use of normal human motion sensitivity ----- to require ... due to the fact --- awkward and too wordy --- incorrect

e) that paragliding requires the use of a variometer since detected thermal currents are impossible to handle using normal human motion sensitivity ------- detected thermal currents ??? this changes meaning ... we are taking about detecting currents not detected ---- incorrect

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 11:46
Doesn't the correct answer mean Birds did not find variometer crucial? isn't that nonsensical?
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 23:13
anilisanil wrote:
Doesn't the correct answer mean Birds did not find variometer crucial? isn't that nonsensical?

Haha, yes the 'correct' answer does seem to set up a comparison that birds have studied out the issue and found the variometer unnecessary due to their natural abilities...

There is value is trying to understand what the sentence is really trying to tell you. Detecting the subtle difference is meaning is important on the GMAT.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Schools: Smeal '16, Fisher
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 03:54

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 11:03
Though B seems to be the best answer but "since" is mainly used for time. correct me if I am wrong
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 06:09
aks456 wrote:
Though B seems to be the best answer but "since" is mainly used for time. correct me if I am wrong

The primary definition of since is to denote time and that used to be the only acceptable definition on the GMAT. Since has been increasingly used interchangeably with because in spoken English and it appears that the GMAT is accepting that usage as well (although there aren't many good GMAT examples of since used for because).

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 22:32
i thought the idiom was "found that" where "that" is required. can an expert please confirm this is not the case?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 12:26
mdacosta wrote:
i thought the idiom was "found that" where "that" is required. can an expert please confirm this is not the case?

I'm not sure that there's a clear rule on this, to be honest. And that's always the problem with idioms -- they are, by definition, pretty arbitrary. (And I generally advocate spending as little energy as possible worrying about idioms, since there are something like 25,000 of them in English, and they aren't always driven by clear rules. Click here for a long rant on this issue.)

Here's the best I can come up with:

• Correct: Found that [clause]. Example: "Mike found that surfing with sharks had been exhilarating until a shark munched his thigh." or "When Mike was surfing in Iceland, he found that the lack of taco stands was irritating."
  • Also correct: Found [noun]. Example: "Mike found a shark tooth on the beach." Or "When Mike was surfing in Iceland, he found the lack of taco stands irritating."

So again: I don't think that there's an absolute rule that says that "found that" is better than "found" -- and I also think it's very unlikely that you'll have to deal with exactly this issue on your actual GMAT exam.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 13:43
nechets wrote:

Is there a modifier issue in official answer? What do you guys think?

Chose B. Will edit and share a brief why once I have a laptop.

Posted from my mobile device

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 04:28
IN Option B..."It" refers to which antecedent?

TD

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 02:17
Although B is a preferred option over others, IMO ,the wrong comparison between bird and people is hard to ignore. That makes the sentence pretty illogical.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pres &nbs [#permalink] 20 Feb 2018, 02:17

Unlike birds, which are highly sensitive to atmospheric pres

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap