Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Urgent need of guidance | Stuck in the high 20s of verbal section [#permalink]
Expert Reply
oloman wrote:
Hello, I have been studying for the past 3 years on and off on the gmat, I have studied the past two months primarily focused on the verbal section which is my weakest link in the GMAT (im a non native).
Ive taken the real gmat 3, times, scoring a 22v, 22v, and 24v.

I have been studying with a private tutor from Vertias, and although I do "feel" that I have been improving in verbal ie: when I do drills from the OG and so on I get a good accuracy rate (high 80s or 70s), I have not been able to get a "decent" score in verbal. I have taken 4 gmat exams since june 9 (vertias cat exams) and socred a 28v, 29v 30v and 26v (just today).

I think timing had a lot to do with my scores, the 30v score was an exam I paid a lot of attention to time/pace and I got to do the last questions, on all the other exams I had to guess the last 4 or 3.

As you can see I am extremely lost and do not know what to do going forward. I have read the mgmt SC book, taking all the lessons on demand of sc and CR on veritas, worked on RC in the OG and problems from the VP site, and although feel that im learning more etc... I just cant get myself to score decently on a practice exam.

My goal is to get 35 in verbal, and what im most afraid is that I have tried literally everything to increase my score... done a lot of timed questions, practice the material etc...

Should I just leave the CAT exams for later and re read and do all the verbal lessons etc??
Can anyone give me a few recommendations? Has anyone else experienced something in the likes of this?

Reading comp and CR have been my lowest sections on the verbal part. SC I score quite good.
Should I just practice the verbal part of CATS and redo them on and on... until I start getting good scores? It seems that more time studying on the og and veritas site does not correlate with good verbal score on a CAT....

Im seriously lost and in urgent need of guidance. I have tried the MGMT program, vertias etc...

Could it be that I just need a lot more time to get by verbal act together? and if so what should I do to prepare given that I have done pretty much everything out there that is recommended?

best
Oloman

If your test date is approaching, push it back by 2 months. Target end Aug. Request your private tutor to take a look at your practice tests. If possible, sit with him/her and analyse your Verbal sections - what went wrong with each question, what did you forget to consider, where did you spend too much time etc. Get down to the bottom of the problem and you will be able to rectify it. Use the resources you have at your disposal to figure out your exact shortcomings. No one is in a better position to guide you than your tutor who knows your complete profile, your strengths, your weaknesses and the way you understand and learn things. I can give you generic advice but it's no use when you have an expert available who can give you personalised directions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Urgent need of guidance | Stuck in the high 20s of verbal section [#permalink]
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the post, I will take your point on reading a lot everyday.
As to changing to another company--- I just dont feel that another company will do the trick I have already been through a lot.
best
Oloman

mikemcgarry wrote:
oloman wrote:
Hello, I have been studying for the past 3 years on and off on the gmat, I have studied the past two months primarily focused on the verbal section which is my weakest link in the GMAT (im a non native).

I have been studying with a private tutor from Vertias, and although I do "feel" that I have been improving in verbal ie: when I do drills from the OG and so on I get a good accuracy rate (high 80s or 70s), I have not been able to get a "decent" score in verbal. I have taken 4 gmat exams since june 9 (vertias cat exams) and socred a 28v, 29v 30v and 26v (just today).

I think timing had a lot to do with my scores, the 30v score was an exam I paid a lot of attention to time/pace and I got to do the last questions, on all the other exams I had to guess the last 4 or 3.

As you can see I am extremely lost and do not know what to do going forward. I have read the mgmt SC book, taking all the lessons on demand of sc and CR on veritas, worked on RC in the OG and problems from the VP site, and although feel that im learning more etc... I just cant get myself to score decently on a practice exam.

My goal is to get 35 in verbal, and what im most afraid is that I have tried literally everything to increase my score... done a lot of timed questions, practice the material etc...

Should I just leave the CAT exams for later and re read and do all the verbal lessons etc??
Can anyone give me a few recommendations? Has anyone else experienced something in the likes of this?

Reading comp and CR have been my lowest sections on the verbal part. SC I score quite good.
Should I just practice the verbal part of CATS and redo them on and on... until I start getting good scores? It seems that more time studying on the og and veritas site does not correlate with good verbal score on a CAT....

Im seriously lost and in urgent need of guidance. I have tried the MGMT program, vertias etc...

Could it be that I just need a lot more time to get by verbal act together? and if so what should I do to prepare given that I have done pretty much everything out there that is recommended?

best
Oloman

Dear Oloman,
I'm happy to respond. :-) You have obviously put in tremendous effort so far, and I can appreciate how frustrating this is.

Here's what I'll say. First of all, you need to read. Over and above an GMAT-specific practice, you need to be reading for at least a hour a day, ideally more. See this blog article:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-im ... bal-score/
I don't know where you are living and to what languages you are exposed on a daily basis. As much as possible, expose yourself to English. If it is possible to live without speaking to anyone in your native language, that would be ideal, at least for building your English comprehension. The more you can force yourself to consume information in English and communicate with native English speakers in English, the better off you will be.

On that same GMAT blog, there are many more articles on Verbal topics that could benefit you.

In addition, here are some free GMAT Idiom flashcards:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards/idioms

I know you have tried many companies already. Those MGMAT books are excellent, and you may get more from re-reading them once you have advanced a little more. I will recommend Magoosh. We have a large library of verbal video lessons. Here's a sample:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/932-str ... ing-splits
We also have a full bank of practice questions. Here's a practice CR question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3799
Here's a practice SC question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3586
For each of those, when you submit your answer, the following page will have a full video explanation of the question. Each one of our practice questions has its own VE. This kind of immediate feedback, as soon as you are done with each question, accelerates learning. This is what has helped several non-native students rise beyond their expectations.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
oloman wrote:

best
Oloman

If your test date is approaching, push it back by 2 months. Target end Aug. Request your private tutor to take a look at your practice tests. If possible, sit with him/her and analyse your Verbal sections - what went wrong with each question, what did you forget to consider, where did you spend too much time etc. Get down to the bottom of the problem and you will be able to rectify it. Use the resources you have at your disposal to figure out your exact shortcomings. No one is in a better position to guide you than your tutor who knows your complete profile, your strengths, your weaknesses and the way you understand and learn things. I can give you generic advice but it's no use when you have an expert available who can give you personalised directions.

Thanks I will do that
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
oloman wrote:
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the post, I will take your point on reading a lot everyday.
As to changing to another company--- I just don't feel that another company will do the trick I have already been through a lot.
best
Oloman

Dear oloman,
I'm glad to hear that you will be pushing yourself to read more, and I am glad that the brilliant Karishma from Veritas also replied to you.

I am going to ask you to think about your comment that "another company" won't "do the trick." This is subtle. You see, there are several companies out there who prepare students for the GMAT, some better than other. Magoosh & Veritas & Manhattan GMAT are all very good. Of course, to some extent, all these companies have similarities, insofar as we all prepare students for the same test. Nevertheless, each company is unique in its perspective, its emphasis, and its offerings. If you are experiencing the various companies only at the level of their "sameness," then it may be that you are not getting the full benefit of any of them. Real learning occurs when you can let go of being right about any view or perspectives and open to what is profoundly new and different and unique in each lesson or explanation. It's wonderful that you are working with a private tutor, and I think that has tremendous potential to help you. I suspect you have more to get from the Veritas material as well as from the MGMAT books, and perhaps another company's presentation can catalyze your understanding. One of the habits of excellence involves never rushing to the point of declaring one's self "done" with any particular source or explanation; it involves always delving in deeper, asking, "what else is there to learn here?" To take anything for granted is to set a limit for how deep your understanding can go. I am not so much recommending one company or another, but I think when you begin to sense the subtle differences in different explanations of the same concepts, you will reach another level.

I wish you abundant success, my friend.
Mike :-)
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi oloman,

I'm curious to know more about Rich's previous question - how did you approach your previous CR, RC prompts? I think knowing more about how you went about tackling these passages will help us make more personalized suggestions based on your current strategies.

Best,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello olomon,

To some extent, it may be an easier task to improve SC performance if you become familiar with the typical errors and train yourself to spot them. RC and CR do pose a slightly different challenge because they require you to change your way of reading and thinking. It's not easy to make improvement in those areas unless you take new approaches to the questions and in the case of RC, to change the way that you read in general. Having said that, to improve RC I recommend that you read more often, even material not related to the GMAT. But when you read, read critically. That is, try to get a sense of 1 What the author is trying to say (main idea) 2 How does the author say it? (organization of ideas and structure) 3 In two or three words, what is the gist of each paragraph? 4 With what tone does the author express him or herself? For CR, be sure that you can express the conclusion, argument, and premise in your own words, as concisely as possible. If you can't do that you won't be able to identify the correct choice or eliminate the choices that are out of scope.

In a nutshell, if you don't think that timing issues or fatigue by the time you get to verbal are to blame, I recommend you spend some time trying to understand your previous approaches to the questions and seeing if there are ways to alter strategy.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot