Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [13]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [5]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: V04-21, V04-22, V04-23, V04-24 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
regarding question 3: The author mentions EACH of the following as a goal of embargo EXCEPT

(a) to wage economic warfare
(b) to punish a country’s leadership for inappropriate policies
(c) to break economic ties with a parent nation
(d) to force a shortage of goods and cash flow
(e) to protect common citizens from violence

Answer (d) is fairly clearly stated in the passage as a mean rather than a goal (More a political than a military tool, embargo is a form of economic warfare that uses a forced shortage of goods – and therefore cash flow – to place internal pressure on a country’s leaders in the hope of forcing policy or regime change.). The goals come later in the same sentence.

I understand the point about the distortion ("punishment") but I would assume that a "mean vs. goal" error (if indeed an error) would be a stronger argument in determining the correct answer.

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
V04-21, V04-22, V04-23, V04-24 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Show SpoilerQuestion V04-21 explanation
The words primarily concerned with in the question stem indicate that the correct answer can be found by considering the passage as a whole. Paragraph 1 defines embargo, which paragraph 2 discusses instances when embargo has been used by the US government. The third paragraph presents an alternate view, of interior embargo. It can be concluded, then, that the goal of the passage is to provide information on the topic embargo.
  1. The merits of embargo as a tool are not debated.
  2. A common misconception is not discussed, much less undermined.
  3. Each paragraph in the passage presents a new idea about embargo, so it can be concluded that the main goal of the passage as a whole is to provide information.
  4. Economic punishment is not discussed, and the passage does not have a tone of advocacy.
  5. The passage does not state that embargo is a little known concept.
Show SpoilerQuestion V04-22 explanation
In the passage, each paragraph offers new information about the main topic embargo. Paragraph 1 provides a definition, paragraph 2 gives examples of use, and paragraph 3 continues discussion of the main topic from a different perspective.
  1. Details introduced in paragraph 3 are meant to provide further information, not contrary evidence.
  2. The passage discusses neither the rules of embargo nor any exceptions to those rules.
  3. The main goal of the passage is to provide information on embargo, and, as such, it can not be refuted by further historical evidence.
  4. The coercive nature of embargo is not the main idea of the passage, and so the final paragraph can not present a third perspective.
  5. The main goal of the passage is to provide information about embargo, and the third paragraph continues the discussion with details about a type of interior embargo.
Show SpoilerQuestion V04-23 explanation
This question requires the selection of the detail not mentioned in the passage. In order to select the correct answer choice, test each one and look for a line in the passage that supports it.
  1. In this line, embargo is mentioned as a form of economic warfare.
  2. The passage does not discuss embargo as a punishment; this option is a distortion of ideas in the first paragraph.
  3. This line discusses the 1807-09 period of autarky in the US as an attempt to break economic ties with Great Britain.
  4. Shortage of goods and restriction of cash flow are mentioned in these lines.
  5. Embargoes against certain African countries are intended to protect citizens, as discussed in these lines.
Show SpoilerQuestion V04-24 explanation
The answer to this question depends on making an inference. First, review paragraph 2, where the US government’s reasons for initiating embargoes are discussed. This line indicates that an embargo against Cuba began when a Communist government came into power, and these lines state that a goal of the US embargo was to weaken the Communist leader, Castro. In the following line, the passage states that the US did not seek to undermine a political ideology in Africa, implying that it did have such a goal in Cuba. The words by contrast further emphasize this idea.
  1. These lines, taken together with the first sentence of the paragraph, imply that undermining Castro’s Communist ideology was a main goal of the embargo of Cuba.
  2. This is a distortion of a detail found here.
  3. The passage does not state that Cuba has cut off all imports and exports from the interior, which would make it an autarky.
  4. This is a distortion of a detail, which states only that Cuba was an ally of the Soviet Union.
  5. This is the goal of embargo, but the passage does not state whether or not it was successful.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishnu440 wrote:
answer to question 3 must be C..as B is mentioned in the last line of first paragraph

In my view, option B is OK. The passage does not mention punishment of the leadership for inappropriate policies as the reason for deployment of embargo.
Option C is mentioned in the last paragraph: Great Britain in this context is the parent nation: "President Thomas Jefferson thought it best that the newly-formed nation break all economic ties with Great Britain."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
svarun wrote:
Hi,

Isn't option c) a goal of 'autarky'? And since the question asks for an exception among goals of 'embargo', I went with c).

Thanks,
Varun

Please refer to this part:
"Although embargo imposed from outside a country is most common, an interior embargo is also possible. Called “autarky,” from the Greek words “self” and “sustain,” an autarky is a closed economic system. The autarkic country essentially embargoes all surrounding nations..."

Thus option C is not the correct answer.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hallikush] wrote:
Question 3 .
3. The author mentions EACH of the following as a goal of embargo EXCEPT

Regarding option (c) : when President Thomas Jefferson thought it best that the newly-formed nation break all economic ties with Great Britain,
How can one infer that GB was a parent nation without using any external knowledge. All I can infer is US was a newly formed nation and its President seek to break all economic ties with GB. Please comment.

Your point is valid - option c has been modified.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
I got tripped up by this one.

Option A is the one I chose. My reasoning -

Options C, D, and E were definitely clearly stated in the text as goals of the embargo, so I didn't choose any of them.

But the waging of economic warfare - option A - I thought this was an intermediate goal of the embargo. The point of the embargo isn't to wage warfare, but to actually changes hearts and minds. The actual point of the embargo itself - is more like regime change, policy change, etc.. big picture ideas. So I do not buy the idea that "B" is a goal of the embargo.

Whereas for Option B, the argument can be made that the embargo against Cuba was to punish Castro for steering his country to Communism. Furthermore, the embargoes against the dictators and warlords (read: Country's leadership), is to stop them from going to war against one another (the policy trying to be prevented).

So based on my reading, it seems that Option B IS a valid goal of the embargo - more valid than than the intermediate goal of waging economic warfare.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:
I got tripped up by this one.

Option A is the one I chose. My reasoning -

Options C, D, and E were definitely clearly stated in the text as goals of the embargo, so I didn't choose any of them.

But the waging of economic warfare - option A - I thought this was an intermediate goal of the embargo. The point of the embargo isn't to wage warfare, but to actually changes hearts and minds. The actual point of the embargo itself - is more like regime change, policy change, etc.. big picture ideas. So I do not buy the idea that "B" is a goal of the embargo.

Whereas for Option B, the argument can be made that the embargo against Cuba was to punish Castro for steering his country to Communism. Furthermore, the embargoes against the dictators and warlords (read: Country's leadership), is to stop them from going to war against one another (the policy trying to be prevented).

So based on my reading, it seems that Option B IS a valid goal of the embargo - more valid than than the intermediate goal of waging economic warfare.

Same Reason for me too. Can someone explain why option A is wrong ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
V04-21, V04-22, V04-23, V04-24 [#permalink]
Kudos
A is definitely correct. Economic warfare is a policy decision, not a goal. If it were a goal, then all the other options are invalid, as to achieve the "goal" of economic warfare implies an unending embargo. It's a means to an end, not a goal.

"to place internal pressure on a country’s leaders in the hope of forcing policy or regime change." Though the word, punish, is not included here, I think it's quite clear that embargo does effectively just that. It's a reactive measure designed to hurt a nation, including both citizens and those in power...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. In my opinion, this question is flawed, because the choice D is also incorrect, as the passage mentions that "embargo uses a forced shortage of goods" as a means to place pressure to change policy or regime. So, shortage of goods is not the goal of embargo, but a means to change policy or regime, which is the intention of embargo.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
answer to question 3 must be C..as B is mentioned in the last line of first paragraph
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
chukychuk wrote:
Hi,
regarding question 3: The author mentions EACH of the following as a goal of embargo EXCEPT

Answer (d) is fairly clearly stated in the passage as a mean rather than a goal (More a political than a military tool, embargo is a form of economic warfare that uses a forced shortage of goods – and therefore cash flow – to place internal pressure on a country’s leaders in the hope of forcing policy or regime change.). The goals come later in the same sentence.

I understand the point about the distortion ("punishment") but I would assume that a "mean vs. goal" error (if indeed an error) would be a stronger argument in determining the correct answer.

Thanks!

I also feel the same that choice D is given as mean and not as a goal. Can someone please explain this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Isn't option c) a goal of 'autarky'? And since the question asks for an exception among goals of 'embargo', I went with c).

Thanks,
Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Question 3 .
3. The author mentions EACH of the following as a goal of embargo EXCEPT

Regarding option (c) : when President Thomas Jefferson thought it best that the newly-formed nation break all economic ties with Great Britain,
How can one infer that GB was a parent nation without using any external knowledge. All I can infer is US was a newly formed nation and its President seek to break all economic ties with GB. Please comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
jayeluu1129 wrote:
A is definitely correct. Economic warfare is a policy decision, not a goal. If it were a goal, then all the other options are invalid, as to achieve the "goal" of economic warfare implies an unending embargo. It's a means to an end, not a goal.

"to place internal pressure on a country’s leaders in the hope of forcing policy or regime change." Though the word, punish, is not included here, I think it's quite clear that embargo does effectively just that. It's a reactive measure designed to hurt a nation, including both citizens and those in power...

I was thinking along the same lines. To me, A sounded like a description of what an embargo is as opposed to a goal. Passage states "embargo is a form of economic warfare that uses a forced shortage of goods."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
Re V04-23 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I also selected A. Two reasons why I did:

1.) "Used either in conjunction with or in addition to warfare and diplomacy, embargo..."

This statement, which is provided in the first sentence of the passage, asserts that the embargo was IN CONJUNCTION or IN ADDITION to "warfare"...Therefore, the goal is not economic warfare but instead something else which caused the government to implement these measures.

2.) "In the twentieth century, the United States government has employed embargo against Cuba since the early 1960s, when Fidel Castro brought a Communist government to power"..."The US embargo of Cuba began in 1961, when US leaders’ discomfort with having an ally of the Soviet Union so close to the United States – Cuba is an island only 90 miles from the tip of Florida – led them to explore economic tools as a way to dismantle Castro’s regime."

These statements clearly illustrate that the US government was not keen to Cuba's communist policies and thus imposed an embargo with the intent to impair the economy and force out the current regime.

Can someone please address these concerns. 
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts