It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 124452 [0], given: 12078

V05-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:25
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:37) correct 56% (00:53) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although quite powerful in his time, the 16th century Russian czar Ivan the Terrible seems to us as a remote and barely visible historical figure.

A. to us as a remote and barely visible historical figure
B. to us to be as a remote and barely visible figure of history
C. to us a remote and barely visible figure of history
D. to us a remote and barely visible historical figure
E. to us to be a remote and barely visible historical figure
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V05-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:25
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

Although quite powerful in his time, the 16th century Russian czar Ivan the Terrible seems to us as a remote and barely visible historical figure.

A. to us as a remote and barely visible historical figure
B. to us to be as a remote and barely visible figure of history
C. to us a remote and barely visible figure of history
D. to us a remote and barely visible historical figure
E. to us to be a remote and barely visible historical figure

This sentence tests both the use of the word as and the ability to recognize concise constructions. The word as means in the capacity of, and is therefore not necessary to the meaning of this sentence. In fact, the word makes the sentence unnecessarily wordy, as do several of the incorrect answer choices.
  1. As in this option makes the sentence unnecessarily wordy.
  2. The words to be are redundant, and the word as is unnecessary; also, the phrase figure of history is wordy.
  3. Figure of history is wordy and unnecessary.
  4. The unnecessary word as has been eliminated, and the phrase barely visible historical figure is appropriately concise.
  5. The words to be are redundant and unnecessary.

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 84

GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: V05-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2014, 03:20
Why usage of "as" declared as redundant when it clear the ambiguity that the Czar is not being compared to a remote historical figure but rather in capacity/role/function of a remote historical figure.

I think usage of 'as' is required and cannot be shunned as redundant.

Please Let me know if i am wrong or if there is an actual flaw here.

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 84

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2014, 18:56
earnit wrote:
Why usage of "as" declared as redundant when it clear the ambiguity that the Czar is not being compared to a remote historical figure but rather in capacity/role/function of a remote historical figure.

I think usage of 'as' is required and cannot be shunned as redundant.

Please Let me know if i am wrong or if there is an actual flaw here.

Thank you.

I was questioning the same thing, but I believe "seems" is sufficient. Seems by itself indicates a comparison, so "as" would be redundant.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 04:36

Good tricky question :
I have done it in a different way , kindly clarify me if you find it wrong.

Things to catch
1) Active/passive voice (historical figure/ figure of history)
2) As usage is wordy not wrong.

A. to us as a remote and barely visible historical figure : correct just wordy so Incorrect
B. to us to be as a remote and barely visible figure of history : Incorrect (prefer active over passive)
C. to us a remote and barely visible figure of history : Incorrect (Passive)
D. to us a remote and barely visible historical figure : Correct and concise
E. to us to be a remote and barely visible historical figure : Incorrect (wrong usage of 'to be' )

Regards
SG :wink:

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 11:15
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. When do you include "to be" after seems and when do you not?

I found the following in a google search (the bottom example uses "to be" with a noun following):

Ann seemed upset this morning.

Your friend seems very nice.

(English Grammar In Use by Raymond Murphy)

The baby seems (to be) hungry.

(Practical English Usage by Michael Swan)

A thin person seems (to be) taller than he really is.

(Times-Chambers Learners' Dictionary)

They seem to be very honest people.

(The Good English Handbook by Rodney Martin)

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16270 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 04:29
I am going to post a moderator note pqhai

Quote:

* to us as a remote and barely visible historical figure
Wrong. SEEMS + AS --> wrong idiom. ("SEEM AS IF" is ok)

* to us to be as a remote and barely visible figure of history
Wrong. SEEM + TO BE + AS --> wrong idiom

* to us a remote and barely visible figure of history
Wrong. Change meaning. "figure of history" differs from "historical figure".

* to us a remote and barely visible historical figure
Correct. Idiom: SEEMS TO X Y (without AS; like "Consider X Y)

* to us to be a remote and barely visible historical figure
Wrong. "SEEM + TO BE + noun" is suspect. (Please note: I do NOT say it's wrong) Why? Because "to be" means "in the future", thus the meaning is like "X seems to us to be Y" <-- At this moment, X does not seem like Y, but will be Y in the future. The meaning is vague.

Hope it helps.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16270 [0], given: 1953

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 22:58
Can any body tell me why A is wrong I suppose that here czar is a symbolic of something and yes I agree that seems+as+a is incorrect use of ideom but as cannot be omitted according to me and D option is making a completely different meaning

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3096 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
suramya26 wrote:
Can any body tell me why A is wrong I suppose that here czar is a symbolic of something and yes I agree that seems+as+a is incorrect use of ideom but as cannot be omitted according to me and D option is making a completely different meaning

"As" must be omitted as a matter of fact since "seems" is used. Compare with this simpler example:

That man seems as strange to us ... wrong.
That man seems strange to us.... correct.

I do not see any grammatical error (or change in meaning) with the second sentence.

Kudos [?]: 3096 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

V05-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 03:00
Excuse me, but I cannot believe someone actually says seem to be suggests a sense of in the future. How can anyone do this? I seem to be the only person who knows the answer. Are you saying I don't know yet but I will in the future? Would the moderator not come out and say something? Thank you very much!

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3096 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V05-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 07:32
14razy wrote:
Excuse me, but I cannot believe someone actually says seem to be suggests a sense of in the future. How can anyone do this? I seem to be the only person who knows the answer. Are you saying I don't know yet but I will in the future? Would the moderator not come out and say something? Thank you very much!

Sorry, your query is not clear. Do you have a question or disagreement about the OA or OE?

Kudos [?]: 3096 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 21:08
Sorry, I wasn't referring to answer choice C in comparison to D. I was just surprised to see that someone actually believes that "seem to be” means "going to seem“ simply because infinitive (to+v) implies a future tense. By that logic, a sentence that goes like " I seem to be the only one that knows what's happened" means "I don't know yet what's happened, but I will ". Speaking of which, I have asked a lot of people to compare C and D, and they all agree that D is no different than E. "This seems to me to be an enormous change" among similar uses appears in the British National Corpus. If GMAT really loves concision that much, the correct answer is D. I doubt on a test day, people will encounter such a question that make or break on concision. Thank you for your clarification for my other questions.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re V05-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 11:48
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Why can't you use "as" in one of its prepositional form that Manhattaan guide calls Equation Form?

For example: I think of you as my friend (= you are my friend)

Ivan the terrible seems to us as x (Ivan the terrible is x)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 09:00
One would not say that something "seems barely visible." One would say that something "is barely visible". Because when something is barely visible, it barely makes an impression and "seems" doesn't applies.

I'm very disappointed in the verbal items from gmatclub. The math items are outstanding.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: V05-19   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2017, 09:00

V05-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap