It is currently 16 Aug 2017, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V06-28, V06-29, V06-30

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 118349 [0], given: 11996

V06-28, V06-29, V06-30 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:27
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
“Intellectual property” can include anything from a corporate logo to a manufacturing process and is a term generally used to designate ideas, images, or information that can be used simultaneously by many people. Although intellectual property has become an important cornerstone of modern economies, experts are of two minds about the relationship between patents that grant exclusive rights to the use of intellectual property and legal structures that promote innovation. On one hand, many experts claim that intellectual property patents are absolutely essential to encouraging innovation. Without assurance that new ideas will yield lucrative returns, the thinking goes, designers and inventors have little incentive for development. Others take an opposite view and argue that patent rights for intellectual property actually limit innovation by blocking new, possibly superior, ideas from entering the market.
1. Which of the following best describes the logical structure of the passage?

(a) An argument is presented then rebutted.
(b) A process is described in specific detail.
(c) A concept is defined then applied.
(d) Two perspectives on a concept are discussed.
(e) Two pieces of evidence are cited to support a claim.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

2. Which of the following represents the best title for the passage?

(a) The Necessity of Intellectual Property Patents for Innovation
(b) Ideas in Support of Innovation and Intellectual Property Patents
(c) Perspectives on Innovation and Intellectual Property Patents
(d) Common Pitfalls of Intellectual Property Patents
(e) Methods for Encouragement of Innovation
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

According to the passage, which of the following is a reason that patents for intellectual property may limit innovation?
  1. Patents may block superior ideas from the market.
  2. Patents assure inventors a return on their intellectual investment.
  3. Intellectual property is important in modern economies.

(a) I only
(b) II only
(c) I and III only
(d) II and III only
(e) I, II, and III
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Re V06-28, V06-29, V06-30 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:27
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V06-28 explanation
This question concerns logical structure, or how the parts of the passage are put together. The first sentence provides a definition of intellectual property, and the second tells something more specific: that experts are of two minds about how laws that protect intellectual property encourage or discourage innovation. In other words, there are two prevailing opinions. The passage is structured to present these two opinions.
  1. The second half of the passage does not rebut the first; instead, it provides the second viewpoint.
  2. The passage does not describe a process.
  3. Intellectual property is a concept, but it is not applied in the passage.
  4. The passage is mostly concerned with discussing two perspectives on the concept intellectual property, as signaled by the detail that experts are of two minds about the question.
  5. The passage does not use evidence to support a claim.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V06-29 explanation
The answer to this question is concerned with the main idea of the passage of the whole. Since the passage simply relates two opinions experts may hold about intellectual property, any answer either opposing or in support of a specific idea is out of bounds. The correct answer will take the same neutral tone as the passage itself.
  1. This title refers only to the first perspective discussed in the passage.
  2. This option is close in tone to the passage, but it refers only to the first perspective in the passage.
  3. The tone of this title is neutral like the passage, and it is also broad enough in scope to include both perspectives discussed in the passage.
  4. This title refers only to the second perspective discussed in the passage.
  5. This option is a misrepresentation of the passage, since the passage as a whole is concerned, not just with innovation, but with the connection between innovation and intellectual property.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V06-30 explanation
The last sentence of the passage contains information about how patents may limit innovation. Only Statement I is a paraphrase of this claim.
  1. This option correctly identifies that Statement I is a paraphrase of the last sentence of the passage, which states that patents may limit innovation by blocking superior ideas from the market.
  2. Statement II actually supports the claim that patents encourage innovation, the opposite of what is asked in the question.
  3. Statement I is correct, but Statement III is not directly related to innovation.
  4. Statement II provides opposite information to that asked for in the question, and Statement III is not directly related to innovation.
  5. Statement I is correct, but Statements II and III are not.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: V06-28, V06-29, V06-30 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 07:23
Q: According to the passage, which of the following is a reason that patents for intellectual property may limit innovation?

I. Patents may block superior ideas from the market.
II. Patents assure inventors a return on their intellectual investment.
III. Intellectual property is important in modern economies.

It seems that in option I, the word 'entering' is dropped. The sentence ".......from entering the market" seems better than the current sentence.
Am I right? Please advise.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: V06-28, V06-29, V06-30 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 06:08
Yes, it took me some time to figure out the answer choices because of the error in wording. Option I Ideas that enter FROM the market is totally different in meaning to ideas THAT ENTER the market. It's as if ideas come from the market to somewhere, and not vice versa. Please correct the wording, it creates a lot of confusion.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

Re: V06-28, V06-29, V06-30   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2017, 06:08

V06-28, V06-29, V06-30

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap