It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V07-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 129095 [0], given: 12194

V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:05) correct 54% (01:02) wrong based on 125 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 22:25
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Can you please explain why C is incorrect? I see that the subject for the SUN is "is" following which. Really confused.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 89

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 01:13
Why not D?

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 89

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 23:10
Bunuel -- could you please explain why D is incorrect?

I didn't really understand the explanation given in the test review.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 10:51
I eliminated letter B because "The sun [modifier] is also 400 times farther away from Earth (...)" the "also" seems illogical to me (why also? The part that talks that the sun is 400 times larger than the moon is inside the non essential modifier). If it had been "The sun [modifier] is 400 times farther away from Earth (...)" then I would have agreed.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge
Re V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 20:13
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. In option C, cant " have " be the main verb for the main clause.
Here both: 400 times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther than the Earth modifies the Sun, which is better explained in option C plus in option B, if we remove fluff i.e. we can remove " Which is 400 times larger than the Moon" and " so the sun and the moon have the same apparent size in the size" we will be left with The Sun is also 400 times farther away from Earth, which makes no sense.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Regards.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Supply Chain Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 20:15
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Official answer B seems ill-logical. I don't understand why to separate " which is 400 times larger than the moon" and "also 400 times farther away from Earth".

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 13:59
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Can you please help me understand why D is not correct.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 03:37
Bunuel wrote:

----B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

If portion after ,which....., is removed then The Sun is also .....sentence can not be made. There is no entity for saying also. I think there is flaw here

- Sachin

-If you like my explanation then please click "Kudos"

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.73
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 15:56
Can someone clarify whether the word "also" in answer B is correct.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3311 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 12:05
nicoguillenb wrote:
Can someone clarify whether the word "also" in answer B is correct.

What do you think is the problem with "also"? I do not see any issue. "Also" may be redundant along with "and", but this is not such a case.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 13:05
pairakesh10 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Can you please explain why C is incorrect? I see that the subject for the SUN is "is" following which. Really confused.

the expression "because the sun, which is ... and also" which after because doesn't make sense.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 102

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
V07-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 00:00
There is no response to the queries here :x ,but if u are lucky enough u can get a reply from an expert on the issue :lol: .
In option B ,
If I remove the relative pronoun modifier -
The sun , which is 400 times larger than the moon , is also 400 times farther away from the earth, so the...................

then the sentence does not make sense to me.
and I chose option D , I do not find any errors in D.
Is there any expert who can provide the proper explanation where am I wrong and why is option D incorrect ?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 102

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3311 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 05:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
minhaz3333 wrote:
There is no response to the queries here :x ,but if u are lucky enough u can get a reply from an expert on the issue :lol: .
In option B ,
The sun , which is 400 times larger than the moon , is also 400 times farther away from the earth, so the...................

Is there any expert who can provide the proper explanation where am I wrong and why is option D incorrect ?

The problem with D is the wrong usage of possessive moon's. The correct parallel structure would be:

...the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon (has).

Because of the very existence of the modifier, it is alright to use "also" - there is no reason to isolate the modifier.

Kudos [?]: 3311 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 71

GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 03:27
The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky -- in option B, is an independent clause. How can can independent clause follow another independent clause, with a "comma"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 71

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 07:29
kalian wrote:
The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky -- in option B, is an independent clause. How can can independent clause follow another independent clause, with a "comma"

The two clauses are added with not just a comma, but also a conjunction ("so") - two independent clauses can be joined with comma + conjunction.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 09:33
sayantanc2k wrote:
kalian wrote:

The two clauses are added with not just a comma, but also a conjunction ("so") - two independent clauses can be joined with comma + conjunction.

Can you please add what other conjunctions we can use to connect independent clauses- apart from and,so,but.
Thanks .

If you appreciate my post then please click +1Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 16:11
sayantanc2k wrote:
minhaz3333 wrote:
In option B ,

The problem with D is the wrong usage of possessive moon's. The correct parallel structure would be:

...the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon (has).

Because of the very existence of the modifier, it is alright to use "also" - there is no reason to isolate the modifier.

If the Option D was written as “ the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as that of the moon”, would it be correct?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: V07-05   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2017, 16:11

V07-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap