GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V08-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V08-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 10:25
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:25) correct 44% (00:46) wrong based on 61 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tests conducted by National Automobile Association of India, have revealed that, on average, the vacuum brakes fixed on Nano mini cars perform better than other brakes fixed in any other comparable cars. Thus, any consumer who is purchasing a mini-car based solely on the criteria of safety should purchase a Nano. Which one of the following statements, if true, most weakens the argument?

A. Mini-cars are less safe than some other types of automobiles.
B. Most consumers purchase cars based on multiple criteria in addition to safety.
C. During the test, the brakes on some Santro mini cars outperformed those on some Nano cars
D. The brakes on Nano mini cars are simple to use and maintain.
E. The Santro mini-cars achieved a better frontal-collision safety rating than the Nano mini-cars.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
Re V08-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 10:25
Official Solution:

Tests conducted by National Automobile Association of India, have revealed that, on average, the vacuum brakes fixed on Nano mini cars perform better than other brakes fixed in any other comparable cars. Thus, any consumer who is purchasing a mini-car based solely on the criteria of safety should purchase a Nano. Which one of the following statements, if true, most weakens the argument?

A. Mini-cars are less safe than some other types of automobiles.
B. Most consumers purchase cars based on multiple criteria in addition to safety.
C. During the test, the brakes on some Santro mini cars outperformed those on some Nano cars
D. The brakes on Nano mini cars are simple to use and maintain.
E. The Santro mini-cars achieved a better frontal-collision safety rating than the Nano mini-cars.

A. Comparison is only between Nano and Santro B. Factors other than safety are outside the scope. C. Brakes on some mini cars are not fully in line with the focus of the topic. D. Simplicity and ease of operation are not in consideration here. E. Significantly weakens the argument; The passage claims that people should buy Nano if they consider only the safety aspects. The premise is that the brakes of Nano is superior to those of other cars in the same category. Nonetheless there could be a different aspect related to safety that makes Nano inferior to some other car. This option highlights such an aspect and therefore weakens the argument.

Answer: E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V08-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 09:36
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Totally upset with the quality of the Q. Stimulus talks about 'Nino' cars whereas the options refer to 'Nano'.
Choice C is rejected because brakes on some cars are not 'in line' with the argument. The main premise mentions braking system only of Nino cars.
E is the OA because supposedly 'crash test rating is mandatory for a safe car' - isn't it a common knowledge from outside world? Does one need to know about crash test rating in order to write GMAT?
I think C is anytime better than E.
Thanks,

Binit.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 09:00
Thank you for reporting the typo. I have fixed it. But I think it's a good question. Notice the placement of the word "some" in option C. Some can mean anything from 1 to many, so it could be an exception - and hence not the best weakener out of 5 options.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Oct 2015, 10:32
:x

Originally posted by grr8pe on 14 Oct 2015, 10:28.
Last edited by grr8pe on 14 Oct 2015, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 10:31
binit wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Totally upset with the quality of the Q. Stimulus talks about 'Nino' cars whereas the options refer to 'Nano'.
Choice C is rejected because brakes on some cars are not 'in line' with the argument. The main premise mentions braking system only of Nino cars.
E is the OA because supposedly 'crash test rating is mandatory for a safe car' - isn't it a common knowledge from outside world? Does one need to know about crash test rating in order to write GMAT?
I think C is anytime better than E.
Thanks,

Binit.

totally agree with you. stupid question to say the least. Qs like these shake my belief in GMAT.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 18:00
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Is it correct to have a comma between "of India" and "have revealed"?
The use of "fixed" is confusing. I'm reading it as meaning "repaired" but it can also be read as "placed."
The second sentence is missing a period after "Nano."
The question should be below the passage, not part of it.
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 00:09
I think it's a poor quality question. One is not supposed to know what is "frontal crash-test", and how it's related to the safety issues.
There is no correct answer here. One that would work - should be around "breaks performance isn't related to the safety".
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 12:59
manlog wrote:
I think it's a poor quality question. One is not supposed to know what is "frontal crash-test", and how it's related to the safety issues.
There is no correct answer here. One that would work - should be around "breaks performance isn't related to the safety".

Although one may not have prior knowledge about frontal crash-test, it can be deduced from the name itself. Nonetheless to clear the ambiguity, we have changed the the wording of option E.

Your suggestion "brakes' performance isn't related to the safety" could be a feasible answer but practically not applicable. The passage claims that people should buy Nano if they consider only the safety aspects. The premise is that the brakes of Nano is superior to those of other cars in the same category. Nonetheless there could be a different aspect related to safety that makes Nano inferior to some other car. Option E highlights such an aspect and therefore weakens the argument.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Alberta"19 (A)
GMAT 1: 510 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 570 Q40 V28
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 07:24
what about the answer choice A,

Nano cars are a subset of Mini cars, opt A tells us that "Mini-cars are less safe than some other types of automobiles", this will clearly shake the conclusion of the argument.
The lesser safe characteristic of mini cars will be obvious to apply on nano cars as well.

please clear,, I am confused about it,,,,

If someone can do it.....
Why not can I???

GMAT Clubbers,,,this can be a much better place if we opt for a usual Thanksgiving and Goodwill gesture by endorsing Kudos!!! :)
So, +1 here if you like my posts....

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V08-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 23:15
saadharis wrote:
what about the answer choice A,

Nano cars are a subset of Mini cars, opt A tells us that "Mini-cars are less safe than some other types of automobiles", this will clearly shake the conclusion of the argument.
The lesser safe characteristic of mini cars will be obvious to apply on nano cars as well.

please clear,, I am confused about it,,,,

A could be a weakener, but E weakens the argument much more convincingly.

The conclusion is that among the mini cars, Nano is the safest. Option A does not state that Nano is less safe than other mini-cars - the option just states that Nano is less safe than some other cars (may or may not be mini-cars). On the other hand option E directly states that there exists another mini-car that is safer than Nano in some aspect. Since the comparison in option E is between mini-cars, whereas the comparison in option A is between Nano and some unknown cars, option E weakens the argument more than A does. The question asks which option most weakens the argument, and hence E is better than A.

Please let me know if you still have doubt.
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 23:08
These CR explanations are very poor.

How should we reasonably know that comparisons are only between Santro and Nano? For example w/ answer choice A, Santro is not stated in the stem. Instead information is brought from other answer choices to provide reason as to why the answer choice is incorrect. Also, how should we understand reasoning for both the incorrect and correct answers with only one sentence? Makes no sense.
Re: V08-02   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2017, 23:08

V08-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap