Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [8]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1323
GMAT 1: 490 Q41 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q45 V28
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: V10-23 [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Official Solution:

Given the status of the United States as a world power for the past seventy years, it is hard for many present-day Americans to understand the isolationist tendencies of the early twentieth century. A prominent example of isolationism is the United States Senate’s refusal to ratify the treaty to join the League of Nations in 1920. Yet, this decision is entirely understandable given the circumstances of the country at the time.

In 1923, many of the League’s members were surveyed and asked to give their opinions on the success of the body. The answers indicated that the members had a strong belief that the League was a powerful mechanism for the settlement of international disputes and had already been successful. However, these members indicated that the League could only continue to function effectively if there was agreement among the great powers. A British intellectual, Gilbert Murray, included the United States in this group. Murray’s opinion was that if the United States joined the League and fully participated in its goals, the great powers of Europe and Asia would follow. This would lead to the League being “made” for all time. However, Murray failed to understand the thinking of the average American and their elected representatives in Congress. The country had only reluctantly been drawn into the first World War, and most citizens had no desire for a repeat. The biggest obstacle to the United States’ joining the League was Article X of its charter.

Article X committed the members of the League to collective security: if a League nation was attacked by an external power, the other members were bound to come to its assistance. Perceptive members of the U.S. Senate, including Henry Cabot Lodge and Frank Brandegee, rightly concluded that this provision could unwillingly involve the United States in another international war, when our participation was neither wanted nor supported by the country at large. For example, one of the League’s early successes was in area of Upper Silesia. The area had historically been part of Prussia, but was claimed by Poland after the war. Despite a plebiscite in which the majority of Silesians favored returning to Germany, Poland continued to assert its claim to the area. The League was able to intervene in 1921 and forge an agreement in which the area was divided between the two countries. However, if the dispute had not been resolved, war between Germany and Poland could have begun anew. If the United States was a full member of the League, it might have found itself bound under Article X to joining a war that it had little stake in.

The main purpose of the passage is to

A. undermine the argument of Gilbert Murray
B. discuss the results of a survey of members of the League of Nations
C. defend an action of the United States Senate
D. describe the content of Article X of the League of Nations treaty
E. argue that the United States should not join any international organization, since it could draw the country into unwanted conflicts

(A) While this author does undermine the argument of Gilbert Murray, it is not the main purpose of the article.

(B) This passage does this in the first paragraph, but it is not the main purpose.

(C) Correct. The purpose of the article is to defend and justify the United States Senate’s refusal to allow the country to join the League of Nations.

(D) This passage does this in the third paragraph, but it is not the main purpose.

(E) The passage defends the Senate’s refusal to ratify the treaty to join the League of Nations, but does not argue that the United States should not join any international organization.

Answer: C

Can you please elaborate why B is in-correct ?

The result of the survey was that US Senate didn't want to participate in the League of Nations.
This has been elaborated in detail and discussed in the passage.

Correct me if I am wrong ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you look at the intro - it says nothing about a survey.... often the intro and the topic sentence convey the main idea of the passage. From this paragraph, it is clear that the passage is talking about isolationist tendencies and why the senate enacted them....

Quote:
Given the status of the United States as a world power for the past seventy years, it is hard for many present-day Americans to understand the isolationist tendencies of the early twentieth century. A prominent example of isolationism is the United States Senate’s refusal to ratify the treaty to join the League of Nations in 1920. Yet, this decision is entirely understandable given the circumstances of the country at the time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Good Question
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts