It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29375 [2], given: 5301

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
V11-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:45) correct 55% (01:53) wrong based on 102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.

A. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than
B. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places as
C. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than
D. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality with mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces, that have more layers of meaning or relationships than other places, which
E. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, and Foucault (1986) defined them as “heterotopias” , spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places that
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29375 [2], given: 5301

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29375 [0], given: 5301

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re V11-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 10:11
Official Solution:

As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.

A. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than
B. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places as
C. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than
D. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality with mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces, that have more layers of meaning or relationships than other places, which
E. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, and Foucault (1986) defined them as “heterotopias” , spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places that

(A) “than” requires a comparative degree such as “more”. “Many” does not work.

(B) “as” cannot be used in this usage as it seemingly modifies “places” instead of “spaces”. Also many_______ as _______ is wrong usage.

(C) Correct: fixes the errors with the more____ than____ structure.

(D) Which modifies places but meeting the eye is talking about “spaces”. Also “more” needs “than” for reference.

(E) More needs than.

Answer: C

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29375 [0], given: 5301

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 15:34
bb, with all due respect, I disagree with option C, and here is my reasoning:

As something something, something else.
This is a correct structure. Note that AS here has the same meaning as "because".

Let's analyze the whole sentence:

C. As cultural hybridity new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.

As you can see:
As CH bla bla bla, then what? what is the result? It should be a cause-effect relationship. This doesn't make any sense. I know that GMAT doesn't test punctuation, but in this case the comma plays a crucial role. "as+noun" describes the function of something. In this case, it should describe new religious practices. The meaning: New religious practices, in the role of cultural hybridity... Therefore, a comma is needed.
Moving further, a mix of reality and non-reality - "a mix of X and Y" - I don't know if it's a valid idiom, and because of the error at the beginning of the sentence, I simply rejected this answer choice.

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 137

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 03:11
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Shouldn't there be a comma before 'new religions'?
I immediately eliminated other choices on this reasoning.
Please explain the case if my reasoning is flawed :)

Its not over..

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 137

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 18:01
swanidhi wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Shouldn't there be a comma before 'new religions'?
I immediately eliminated other choices on this reasoning.
Please explain the case if my reasoning is flawed :)

I agree. Eliminated all other choices based on comma.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1170

GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 08:39
We can use "as" in four ways in GMAT.

1 as follows clause, clause follows.

2 we can use as a reason such as since,and because .

3 we can use in the place of while, when for simultaneous action,

4 we can use as a position.
As a manager, I want to take care of sales and closing of garment industy.

here As cultural hybridity, as a position used.

here usage of which is non essential modifier, so it is placed between two commas. then spaces has to modify mythic elements or it looks modify heteropias.
here modifier spaces looks ambiguous.

when comparison usage of more is correct than many.

in option C
Noun + noun modifier is correctly used.
a term that
here noun is a term that is clause(modifier) . It is a versatlie modifier . it can modify noun, verb, or clause entity.

So option C is correct.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1170

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 36

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 22:35
Hi,

Can some one explain this question please. i am unable to figure this out. I am confused coz as per SC Manhattan, "which" cannot be used to modify an entire clause. So accordingly B, C and E are out.

Can some one explain please.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 05:58
I think this is a high-quality question which can be easily solved using a couple of basic concepts.

We can eliminate this answers since "spaces that" modifies "heterotopias" but "heterotopias" isn't in fact "spaces" rather it is a term that defines a metaphorical type of spaces.

We can eliminate this answer since "that" can only be used in a defining way expressing a fundamental piece of information therefore there's no need for commas.

Answer C corrects all the errors mentioned above.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 155

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 21:21

C. new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “more than meets the eye
Also found in: Wikipedia.
more (to something) than meets the eyemore than meets the eye
Also found in: Wikipedia.
more (to something) than meets the eye”, a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

Another reason to eliminate B) D) and E)
The idiomatic phrase is : more than meets the eye
more (to something) than meets the eye

B) D) and E) dont seem to use this phrase correctly (plus they have other errors as stated by others)
Why C) wins over A), simply because it uses a term to describe "heterotopias".

Hope I am right.

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 155

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 112

Reviews Badge
Re V11-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 16:28
I chose D, as it is not clear to me in choice C that which two terms are being compared.
It is shown "spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye"
Please help me understand the two terms being compared and parallelism between them

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 112

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3633 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 09:47
ravirjn wrote:
I chose D, as it is not clear to me in choice C that which two terms are being compared.
It is shown "spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye"
Please help me understand the two terms being compared and parallelism between them

The two compared elements are:
1. Number of layers of meaning / relationships the spaces have.
2. Number of layers of meaning / relationships that immediately meet the eye.

The complete structure before omission of the repeated/ unnecessary parts from the second element is:
...spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than (layers of meaning or relationships that) immediately meet the eye.

Kudos [?]: 3633 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 06:45
The sentence itself seems incomplete. As....., Then what?? Please throw some light on this..

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3633 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 04:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vaishali275 wrote:
The sentence itself seems incomplete. As....., Then what?? Please throw some light on this..

Consider the following sentence:
We express our fear as anger.

This sentence can be rewritten as:
As anger we express our fear.

Do you see the structure of the question now?

SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1227 [0], given: 896

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 02:14
Hi sayantanc2k,

IMO 'which' appears to modify the entire clause 'new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements'. Is this allowed in actual GMAT?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 1227 [0], given: 896

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vyshak wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,

IMO 'which' appears to modify the entire clause 'new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements'. Is this allowed in actual GMAT?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

"Which" does not refer to the entire clause; it refers to "a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements" (a noun phrase). Such usage is OK.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 01:06

a)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

b)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places as

c) new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

d)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality with mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces, that have more layers of meaning or relationships than other places, which

e)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, and Foucault (1986) defined them as “heterotopias” , spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places that

Here is my reasoning of eliminated choices and doubts.
Experts please help.

A) Firstly heterotopias is not spaces . Moreover, "than" is used without any comparative form such as more/less - eliminated
B) Same reason as A. Also "as" is not making sense in the end - as immediately meet the eye - ELIMINATED
D) comma + that is incorrect . Also changes meaning with "relationship than other places" From original sentence, the comparasion is between layers . Also, which incorrectly modifies "places" instead of layers

Between C & E
Although E had multiple issues :-
Same modifier issue with hetertopias as in A B
E had incorrect idiom "more " and no than. Also use of , and Faucalt seemed not so correct.( is it correct?)
but the presence of "that" forced me to ignore the other two major issues with this option.
(Very very ridiculous reason , I know)

Also, I was doubtful that C is correctly applying ellipsis .
I don't get how ellipsis is correct in option C.

spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than (layers of meaning or relationships to other places that) immediately meet the eye.
"that" is not present in sentence and I have read that ellipsis uses the part which is already been used in the sentence. So how is this correct ?
Please correct my understanding for such ellipsis usage

Many thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 10

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
I have same query that prachi18oct has.
I also think "that" should be repeated, otherwise the whole sentence becomes ambiguous.

Can someone please elucidate further.
Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 11:28
sayantanc2k wrote:
ravirjn wrote:

The two compared elements are:
1. Number of layers of meaning / relationships the spaces have.
2. Number of layers of meaning / relationships that immediately meet the eye.

The complete structure before omission of the repeated/ unnecessary parts from the second element is:
...spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than (layers of meaning or relationships that) immediately meet the eye.

sayantanc2k,

unfortunately this isn't clear to me yet. I am still struggling to figure out what exactly is being compared. IF I abbreviate "layers of meaning or relationships" as LMR, then we have:

... spaces that have more LMR to other places than (LMR that) immediately meet the eye. So does this mean we are comparing "LMR to other places" with "LMR that immediately meet the eye"?
Is it like saying: I have more apples of Fuji type than Gala.... meaning I (i.e. spaces) have more apples of Fuji type (i.e. more LMR to other places) than apples of Gala type (i.e. than LMR that immediately meet the eye.

Now I do understand how Fuji and Gala types may be compared, but I do not understand how "other places" and "immediately meet the eye" are being compared.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: V11-02   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 11:28

V11-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap