It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 19:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-15

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17684 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:32
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (00:53) correct 44% (00:54) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A Dartmouth-led research team has discovered that unlike the males of most species of crickets, a certain group of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, and they use high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat.

A. a certain group of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, and they use high
B. a certain group of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, rather than using low frequency ones, and use high
C. the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them using high frequency sounds, rather than low frequency ones, high
D. the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them by using high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, they use high
E. the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them using high frequency sounds, rather than low frequency ones, and using high
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:32
Official Solution:

A Dartmouth-led research team has discovered that unlike the males of most species of crickets, a certain group of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, and they use high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat.

A. a certain group of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, and they use high
B. a certain group of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, rather than using low frequency ones, and use high
C. the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them using high frequency sounds, rather than low frequency ones, high
D. the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them by using high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, they use high
E. the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them using high frequency sounds, rather than low frequency ones, and using high

A. the males of most species of crickets is wrongly compared with certain groups of male crickets. males is not parallel to groups. by the use of is unnecessarily wordy. The use of but not does not clearly convey that most other male crickets use low frequency sounds. Insertion of they is not required.

B. the males of most species of crickets is wrongly compared with certain groups of male crickets. males is not parallel to groups. Violates parallelism with by the use of... instead of using.

C. Correct. Eliminates the above errors. Introduces an absolute phrase correctly to describe high frequency sounds further.

D. The use of but not does not clearly convey that most other male crickets use low frequency sounds. They use high frequency…. is a run-on sentence.

E. Using high frequency sounds…as a bat is a sentence fragment.

Answer: C

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 72

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 09:36
This is a very weird question. Anyway aren't we supposed to have :
A Dartmouth-led research team has discovered that unlike the males of most species of crickets, a certain groups of male crickets call female crickets to them by the use of high frequency sounds, but not low frequency ones, and they use high frequency sounds similar to (THOSE OF predators such as) or (TO THE HIGH FREQUENCY SOUND OF) a predator such as a bat.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Last edited by Icecream87 on 01 Feb 2016, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 32

Schools: Haas EWMBA '20
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.97
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 00:04
Another issue with question: In the correct answer
"... the males of a certain groups of crickets ...." how is 'a certain groups' correct?
Shouldn't it be 'males of certain groups of crickets'?

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 32

Retired Moderator
B

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 01:03
82vkgmat wrote:
Another issue with question: In the correct answer
"... the males of a certain groups of crickets ...." how is 'a certain groups' correct?
Shouldn't it be 'males of certain groups of crickets'?

Exactly, I missed that one

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.85
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 14:07
There are actually number agreement issues in every single choice. It made my head spin. I ended up guessing out of frustration and the desire to move on.

I'm starting to doubt the verbal questions in this database. In the OG and other sources I nail SC but a lot of these questions seem odd. My scores are also 42-44 in official practice tests but nothing over 40 on these CATs :(

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 11:01
Tadilliner wrote:
There are actually number agreement issues in every single choice. It made my head spin. I ended up guessing out of frustration and the desire to move on.

I'm starting to doubt the verbal questions in this database. In the OG and other sources I nail SC but a lot of these questions seem odd. My scores are also 42-44 in official practice tests but nothing over 40 on these CATs :(

Your first point is valid - there is a number disagreement (a certain groups). We are correcting the question - thank you for pointing out.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 08:46
sayantanc2k : Please clarify my doubts. The last part of the sentence "high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat" sounds very odd and confusing.
What does it modify? I think a preposition is required for it to make sense. Some conjunction to specify how the phrase is connected to the sentence. I think "as" would make sense.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:12
theincredible wrote:
sayantanc2k : Please clarify my doubts. The last part of the sentence "high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat" sounds very odd and confusing.
What does it modify? I think a preposition is required for it to make sense. Some conjunction to specify how the phrase is connected to the sentence. I think "as" would make sense.

The last part of the sentence is an absolute phrase modifier. An absolute phrase modifier modifies (provides some more information about) the entire main clause in some way. The structure of an absolute phrase is as follows:
Noun / Noun phrase + Noun modifier

Here,
Noun phrase = high frequency sounds
Noun modifier = similar to that of a predator such as a bat

Following is another example of absolute phrase modifier (from Manhattan SC guide):
Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results that suggest the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago.

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge
V11-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 14:33
sayantanc2k I dont think 'high frequency ...' is an absolute modifier. Absolute modifier modifies the entire clause. This one, however, modifies only high frequency sounds. The example which you provided is the perfect example of an absolute modifier which modifies results. The main clause in the question stem states that "male crickets call the female crickets". An absolute modifier should modify the 'how they call' part, isn't it?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 01:21
theincredible wrote:
sayantanc2k I dont think 'high frequency ...' is an absolute modifier. Absolute modifier modifies the entire clause. This one, however, modifies only high frequency sounds. The example which you provided is the perfect example of an absolute modifier which modifies results. The main clause in the question stem states that "male crickets call the female crickets". An absolute modifier should modify the 'how they call' part, isn't it?

A modifier cannot modify itself - the part "high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat" cannot modify "high frequency sounds". You have erroneously considered only "similar to that of a predator such as a bat" the absolute modifier, but the complete "high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat" is the absolute modifier.

The absolute modifier modifies the clause in some way. (what kind of sound is used to call the female crickets?)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re V11-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 21:07
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Can you please explain how D is a sentence fragment and E is run on sentence.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 23:27
pratyushk1 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Can you please explain how D is a sentence fragment and E is run on sentence.

You seem to have reversed the errors.

D is a run-on: Two clauses are joined by a comma (without a conjunction):
Clause 1: The males call
Clause 2: they use

E has a fragment at the end: The modifier "using high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat" does not have an antecedent or a clause to refer to.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 00:29
Lets take a look at option E - Can someone please help me find the mistake in this -

A Dartmouth-led research team has discovered that unlike the males of most species of crickets, the males of a certain group of crickets call female crickets to them
- > using high frequency sound
-> , rather than low frequency ones,
- > and using high frequency sounds similar to that of a predator such as a bat.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V24
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re V11-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 09:17
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re V11-15   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 09:17

V11-15

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap