Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: verbal breaker [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Alchemist14 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Hope you are fine. Thank you for providing great advice on the forum. Even I am premium member of Magoosh. I have already written the GMAT and have scored 710 Q48 V38. I am aiming for 740+ this time and thus bought the Magoosh Premium Account.

I am following your advice religiously. However, I am stilling facing problems in RC. Prior to my last exam on 17th DEC 2015 I did around 200 LSAT passages as I felt the explanation provided by OG was not that great and as there was a dearth of RC material available from OG's. According to my ESR I have a 84 percentile in RC and my mean time is 2 minutes per question. As I am targeting V44 my RC percentile should be 93+. I use conventional technique- read the first question of the passage, read the passage and then attempt the questions. This strategy has given benefits but I am not able to cut down on the time that I take to read a passage. While taking LSAT Prep Tests, I used to time 60 minutes for 27/28 questions. I want to ask are there any videos or materials I can use to learn POE in RC? I am good at pattern recognition but don’t know how to use POE.

Will reading the book 'How to read faster and better' by Norman Lewis help me? Or should I read 'Manhattan RC 6th Edition'? Which book is more suitable for GMAT RC? I want to cut down on my time and I want to combine conventional techniques with POE strategies. I know that I am asking the instructor of a another test prep company this question but you hardly market your products rather you give the best advice on the do's and dont's.
Please let me know how I should proceed further in RC.

Thanks,
Rakshith

(PS I have seen all the SC videos on Magoosh, they are awesome. I watch them in the morning while going to work. Your voice is so husky that what you teach goes directly into my subconscious mind. Thanks for the amazing videos.)

Dear Rakshith,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I don't know whether you have gotten yet to the Magoosh RC videos, done by my friend Chris Lele, but those are superb. Those tips will certainly help. I would also recommend the MGMAT RC book. I would not recommend any book on reading tips in general---anyone who doesn't know the GMAT would be preparing you for something other than what you need.

Here's the news that no one really wants to hear. The best way to increase speed, comprehension, and accuracy in GMAT RC is to read. It's that simple. Forget trying to arrive at mastery through some magical combination of tips. There is no collection of straightforward "tips" that will get you to a 740. If there were, everyone would follow them and get a 740! If you want to achieve excellence, you have to push yourself to read. Read hard challenging material in English. Read at least an hour a day, over and above any GMAT-specific preparations. As with anything, you get better by practice, practice, practice. No combination of tips will substitute for practice, practice, practice. That is precisely why you need to read every single day without fail. For more detail, see this blog and the links it contains:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Does all this make sense, my friend?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Hope you are great!

Thanks for the advice. I am working on reading comprehension and am making it a point to solve couple of rc's daily. I am solving rc specific magoosh questions aswell. They are excellent. Kindly guide some sources from where i can read gmat specific content daily.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
kk12 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Hope you are great!

Thanks for the advice. I am working on reading comprehension and am making it a point to solve couple of rc's daily. I am solving rc specific magoosh questions as well. They are excellent. Kindly guide some sources from where i can read gmat specific content daily.

Dear kk12,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

In this blog article, I give several very specific recommendations:
GMAT Reading List
In this blog article, which I believe you have seen, I give recommendations about how to use any piece of sophisticated reading to practice for the three sections of the GMAT Verbal:
How to Improve your GMAT Verbal Score
If you read those and still have questions, let me know!

Best of luck, my friend! :-)

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great sources. This is all i needed. :-D :-D
GMAT Club Bot