Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Re: wed [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi amgmat15,

If you find that you're consistently struggling to get in the right 'mindset' to study Verbal material, then you might want to think about your 'big picture' plans and how your Verbal work will play a role in those plans...

1) What is your goal score?
2) Where do you want to go to Business School?
3) What kind of career do you want to have?

Your GMAT score will play a big role in the School that you ultimately go to and the career path that you will put yourself on, so if those concepts don't properly motivate you, then you might want to try some caffeine.

It might also be that the materials that you're using don't make the learning process exciting enough for you.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich, Thanks for the reply. I've started my verbal prep from Foundations of GMAT Verbal by Manhattan. Past two weeks ive managed to finish the quant books 1 to 4 going on 5 of the Manhattan series and will be starting with the verbal books in about a week or so, but before that i figured I go through the basics first. I modified my evening study by putting in few chapters of verbal between my quant study. Il try and follow this plan for a few days. My exam is in 2 months.
Intern
Intern
RichEconomistGMAT wrote:
Hi amgmat15,

We helped someone in a similar situation tackle RC passages on our blog recently. You can check out some of the strategies we suggested here: https://bit.ly/1R7dG6K. Happy to elaborate on these further if you'd like.

Best,
Rich

Thank you rich for sharing the link. I do understand the strategies mentioned in the article in dealing with RC and other question types in the gmat. I just need motivate myself to study verbal well and not take it lightly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amgmat15,

Studying at the end of the day can sometimes be a challenge (especially if you're tired after a full day of activities). If possible, you might want to try studying for a bit in the morning (when you're more awake and alert).

Rich
Intern
Intern
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi amgmat15,

Studying at the end of the day can sometimes be a challenge (especially if you're tired after a full day of activities). If possible, you might want to try studying for a bit in the morning (when you're more awake and alert).

Rich

HI Rich,
That would be a good arrangement, but because of my work schedule (7am to 4PM), its almost impossible to find proper time in the morning. I do try to revise my flash cards at breakfast, before i head off to work. So i get home by 5 or 5:30PM, freshen up and head off to the library from 6 to 9(library closes at 9). I do this 3 times on weekdays, the other 2 weekdays i keep for light study and physical workouts. But I must admit I dont optimally utilise my weekends. Saturdays I usually try to practice mock test in the morning but when the verbal section comes in i start getting drowsy :sleep , as i already mentioned :lol: . And sundays I tend to do absolutely nothing! If you dont mind, id like your suggestion on this. Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amgmat15,

I generally advise that Test Takers take one day "off" per week, so doing so is fine. Taking your CATs on Saturdays, at the end of a long work-week, might be impacting your stamina. Have you considered taking Saturday off and taking your CATs on Sundays?

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
amgmat15 wrote:
I was a giving a practice test this saturday. I was in the right environment i.e. my local library with my personal desk and no distractions. And as per the standard sequence went through awa,ir and quant. Then came the verbal, my greatest weakness. As I was going through the first few questions, I couldn't concentrate and kept reading the questions/sentences multiple times. And then started feeling sleepy. Not a good sign. I consider myself to be a serious learner but verbal section seems so boring and dry and on that I such at it. I enjoy practicing Quant more than verbal. After my first gmat experience I did know this(verbal) was the section I need to practice more but the motivation is zero. The moment I start studying anything verbal related I get drowsy, but reading a book,article etc I'm deesky engrossed. Hon do I motivate myself to improve my hold in verbal for gmat?

Hello amgmat15,

Firstly, perhaps try taking "mini breaks," like looking somewhere else (away from the screen) for a few seconds and stretch a little when you find yourself reading questions multiple times. Secondly, the material is designed to be dry. Ever notice how much better you score on reading passages and critical reasoning questions that you find a little bit interesting? You can get around the dullness by looking at the exam as a challenge to find all the traps of the test takers. That might be a more interesting task than forcing yourself to focus all of your interest on that rather boring content.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot