Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
pawars wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I just want to be bit more specific about my issues.
How much time you think should be spend on a typical passage (RC) of 55-70 lines with 5-6 questions in it. I have been practicing (OG) with 10 min for such passges. But this thing does not work in the verbal tests. There, if I spend 10 mins on a passage, I would be spending atleast 35 mins on 4 passages having 4 questions each. This leaves me with 40 minutes for remaining 15 SC and 14 CR questions. Even if we take 1.5 minutes for every CR, in total I would be spending about 21-22 min on them. This leaves me with close to 17-18 minutes on SCs. Now, if I tend to abopt a cautious approach for first 10-12 questions and overuse my time, this leaves me panicking as soon as I enter into 20s.

This is happening to me time and again. For your information, the scores that I have mentioned in my last post were of KAPLAN. This happenend to me when I took my GMAT earlier and I screwed up my verbal royally.

Need to know from you guys how to approach this problem of mine.

Thx in advance.
SH

how much time should you spend? i dont think it matters. you either get it right or you get it wrong. i think the best way to improve your retention skill is to make a quick snapshot of what each passage is saying.

after every paragraph, there will something new introduced into the passage. so stop for a few seconds and evaluate what you have "learnt" about the passage. make notes if necessary.

when you finally finish reading the passsage, you will have understood it really well. then for the questions, you wont have to re-read the passage and the context.

a good way to save time is SC. scope of SC's is limited , though you need to be really good to get to the right answers in under a minute. if you can get through a SC under a minute (successfully), you will have more time and thus a better chance of getting the RC's and the CR's correct. that said, the first fifteen questions will have RC's and you will have to get them right if you want to be anywhere close to a 40+V.

About the cautious approach, i think you should be careful with every question. take it a question at a time. but if you obsess over the first ten-fifteen , you wont have enough time for the last 10-12 and it really wont matter how well you did.

if you are aiming for 700-730 + , you should have total control of the test....there should NOT be a mad scramble towards the end to finish the test. till such time as you are confident, i suggest you concentrate on the concepts and practice every single day. if you take a break of even a week in your prep time, it will affect your prep.

regards
praetorian
Eternal Intern
hi [#permalink]
If you want to do good on the Verbal, you wanna do a Kaplan book with questions, then the OG, then you want to Do LSAT for Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension, go to the libary get some old books, CR and RComprehension aren't going to change through time.

The sentence correction is tough, theres about 8 rules, but theres like rules within those rules, so you need to see a lot of sentence correction quiestions, once you do a lot of them, you can eye ball the right answer, and on the hard ones use Process of elimination to find the right answer.

The Kaplan Method, is really retarded on the RComprehension, they tell you to right down the Topic Scope and Summary of each paragraph, thats right, but you shouldn't waste ure time writing it down, do it in ure head.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Try Princeton Review's techniques instead. They are better for verbal.

Timing will be less of an issue if you master various aspects of the fundamentals. SC is fairly easy to improve if you work on grammar rules. Get a good grammar review book like Grammar Smart. RC is a little harder to improve, but just keep practicing on RC questions from the OG - don't use your practice tests to improve in this area. Use questions outside of the tests, focus on just RC, and then return to full tests after you've spent more time on them. The timing will begin to work itself out after you're more comfortable with them. Be sure to review your answers for each question carefully so you can see the patterns and learn what they're going for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh, and don't worry about your Kaplan practice scores. They're known for being harder than the real thing and are not an accurate reflection of your capabilities. They can easily freak you out.

Have you taken the Powerprep and Princeton Review tests? Their verbal questions are much more representative of the real thing. Try those - you might see a big difference right there and can begin to relax a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]