Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 15:23 It is currently 03 May 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15276 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an i [#permalink]
Expert Reply
i
devdubey wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
devdubey wrote:
I feel that an answer choice that people who are called by Salesperson will probably attend the booth.. Isn't that more appropriate. I am not convinced with C as it assumes that mere calling and inviting top customers to booth will surely translate into their visit. And the rest will follow. Pls explain why implicit assumption has not been addressed

This is a strengthening type question, not an assumption type question. Therefore "must be true" criterion is not required to be satisfied here.
Calling the customers MAY (not MUST) result in a crowded booth, which in turn may draw more customers.

Although mere calling does not ensure the following events, but it may actually. Hence this is a strengthening statement.

Understand and thanks. However, so in case of answer choices as provided , I must take assumption to be true and based on that see answer choice which strengthens teh argument. Please tell my understanding is correct or not

Yes, your understanding is correct. But when I took the test, my thought process was different:

Does this choice IN SOME WAY support / weaken the argument? (What you imply by "assume" is what I thought as "in some way".)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an i [#permalink]
We need to find an answer supporting that the first measure of manager would increase attendance
C supports it
If you feel stuck between A and C, try negation technique:
Vitacorp’s salespeople do not routinely inform each important customer about new products and services as soon as the decision to launch them has been made. Neither support nor weaken

An information booth that is well attended does not tend to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth. THis one does weak the manager's measure
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1781 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
C strengthens the main premise. C is much better than A because "attract new customers" win "provide information".
Clearly, "provide information" is not a premise, but just gives the definition, or the role of the booth.
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Answer choice 'C' clearly supports marketing director's plan. Well, attended booth will attract more people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V26
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
sayantanc2k, can you please clarify why D is incorrect? By calling the best customers will Vitacorp not ensure that best customers buy Vitacorp's products instead of its competitor's.

Bunuel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
(A) Vitacorp’s salespeople routinely inform each important customer about new products and services as soon as the decision to launch them has been made.
evn if informed daily, doesnot imply they will come. hence partial info.

(B) Many of Vitacorp’s competitors have made plans for making their won information booths more productive in increasing sales.
competition is not good for company sales. hence its opposite

(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth.
this imply chances of attracting more no of customers. it might leads to increase in sales.

(D) Most of Vitacorp’s best customers also have business dealings with Vitacorp’s competitors.
again competition kills!. opposite

(E) Vitacorp has fewer new products and services available this year than it had in previous years
no of products not relevant.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1783 [0]
Send PM
tusharkhatri18 wrote:
Although I got my answer correct, but I pre-assumed something different than given in the answer choice. Please check whether this my pre-assumption is also correct:

The marketing director wants to promote sales using word of mouth.

Thanks and Regards
Tushar

Hey Tushar, this pre-assumption is unnecessary. The marketing director want to promote sales period - we are told this. word of mouth is just the tool he has decided to use, it is not a goal in and of itself.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1783 [0]
Send PM
gsingh0711 wrote:
sayantanc2k, can you please clarify why D is incorrect? By calling the best customers will Vitacorp not ensure that best customers buy Vitacorp's products instead of its competitor's.

Bunuel

The fact that the best customers have dealings with other companies is bad news, not good - it means they may decide to buy from the other companies, and therefore it weakens, not strengthens, the prediction.
you seem to be answering an opposite question: given that d) is true, is the plan still a good idea? the answer to this may be "yes", but this is not what we are asked - we are asked whether D) being true strengthens the prediction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
By making your existing customers to attend the booth, you will show to the rest of the visitors that you have an increased audience , so you will boost your sales .

Correct answer: C
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi, I dont understand why D is wrong as it says that VC's best customers also are customers of its competitors. SO if best customers are to come to VC's booth then they will buy its new products and not competitors' products. So why is D wrong? Pls help.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts