Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [110]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: BBA, Finance
 Q39  V21 GMAT 2: 640  Q45  V33
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [38]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [17]
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: BBA, Finance
 Q39  V21 GMAT 2: 640  Q45  V33
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: To furnish a room in model home, an interior decorator is to select 2 [#permalink]
Thank you very much, Bunuel, for such a fast and detailed response. Kudos, as promised!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: To furnish a room in model home, an interior decorator is to select 2 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
udaymathapati wrote:
Pls help to solve this problem.

Attachment:
Image3.JPG

No of combinations = C(5,2) * C(x,2) = 10 * x(x-1)/2 =150
Where x is the number of tables

So x(x-1)/2 = 15
x(x-1) = 30

And we know x is an integer

=> x=6
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Shrouded how did you arrive at x(x-1)/2 for c(x,2)? shouldn't this be x!/2!(x-2)! ? I am having trouble following how you arrived at x(x-1)/2? Please advise, thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Kudos
Out of curiosity

Why didn't we take different possible arrangements where order of selection is important (permutation). For example, if we have two chairs (A&B) and two tables (X&Y) selected from the warehouse, we can arrange them as AX & BY and AY & BX. Was this because of the fact that it was given that there are 150 different combinations ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adishail wrote:
Out of curiosity

Why didn't we take different possible arrangements where order of selection is important (permutation). For example, if we have two chairs (A&B) and two tables (X&Y) selected from the warehouse, we can arrange them as AX & BY and AY & BX. Was this because of the fact that it was given that there are 150 different combinations ?

Decorator is to select 2 different chairs out of 5 and 2 different tables out of n. Now, two selections {C1, C2, T1, T2} and {C2, C1, T2, T1,} are the same for decorator as there are the same chairs and tables in both of them. So the order in which the items are taken is not considered.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
adishail wrote:
Out of curiosity

Decorator is to select 2 different chairs out of 5 and 2 different tables out of n. Now, two selections {C1, C2, T1, T2} and {C2, C1, T2, T1,} are the same for decorator as there are the same chairs and tables in both of them. So the order in which the items are taken is not considered.

Hope it's clear.

Yes. I understood your explanation.

However, I am talking about a case where we would have {C1T1, C2T2, and C1T2, C2T1} since these two can be considered different arrangements. But I think I somehow got stuck with the idea of making a set of a chair and table.

I guess if they would have worded it something like - If 150 different sets of tables and chair are possible ...........then order would have been important. Is that correct Bunuel ? And in that case we would have taken COMBINATION for chairs and PERMUTATION for tables or vice versa because if we would have taken PERMUTATION for both tables an chairs, then we would have ended up with two identical cases like {C1T1, C2T2} and {C2T2, C1T1}.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
adishail wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
adishail wrote:
Out of curiosity

Hope it's clear.

Yes. I understood your explanation.

However, I am talking about a case where we would have {C1T1, C2T2, and C1T2, C2T1} since these two can be considered different arrangements. But I think I somehow got stuck with the idea of making a set of a chair and table.

I guess if they would have worded it something like - If 150 different sets of tables and chair are possible ...........then order would have been important. Is that correct Bunuel ? And in that case we would have taken COMBINATION for chairs and PERMUTATION for tables or vice versa because if we would have taken PERMUTATION for both tables an chairs, then we would have ended up with two identical cases like {C1T1, C2T2} and {C2T2, C1T1}.

You are right we are not told to pair a chair with table. Also I don't think that changing the word "combination" with "set" would make a difference, the question is clearly talking about the different selections of 2 chairs and 2 tables.

If we were interested in such pairs then you should notice that one particular selection of 2 chairs and 2 tables {C1, C2, T1, T2} can give 2 different pairs of chair/table: {C1/T1, C2/T2} or {C1/T2, C2/T1}.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V40 GMAT 2: 760  Q51  V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Kudos