Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Would weather influence your decision to apply to (or attend) a particular school?

38% [19]
62% [31]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Schools:Oxford
 Q50  V49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Weather impact your decision to apply to/attend a school? [#permalink]
Bokke wrote:
If I can give my honest opinion, if you care about the weather, you need to rethink your reasons for wanting an MBA.

I think that's a little harsh. It's been proven how much weather can affect a person's happiness, mood, and health (not just talking about those diagnosed with SAD). If you've gotten into two very good schools with similar programs, one's in sunny LA and the other's in...I dunno, Hanover? :wink: I think you have the right to consider weather as a factor.

Personally, I really want to consider weather a factor (I've been in cold weather all my life, and am really tired of it). The top schools just aren't there. Other than Stanford, there's Haas. That's about it. All the other top 10 schools are pretty bloody cold.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V49
Send PM
labomba wrote:
Bokke wrote:
If I can give my honest opinion, if you care about the weather, you need to rethink your reasons for wanting an MBA.

I think that's a little harsh. It's been proven how much weather can affect a person's happiness, mood, and health (not just talking about those diagnosed with SAD). If you've gotten into two very good schools with similar programs, one's in sunny LA and the other's in...I dunno, Hanover? :wink: I think you have the right to consider weather as a factor.

Personally, I really want to consider weather a factor (I've been in cold weather all my life, and am really tired of it). The top schools just aren't there. Other than Stanford, there's Haas. That's about it. All the other top 10 schools are pretty bloody cold.

Maybe as a deciding factor of last resort, weather is acceptable. Maybe.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, Stanford is not a top school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Bokke wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know that I agree with you. People go to business school for many reasons. The education and network are undoubtedly important, but for many students, the ability to "recharge" and get a new perspective on things is important as well. That recharge might be more easily accomplished in warm and sunny climes.

I say this because I never thought weather was important; Stanford was the only school I applied to in a remotely warm climate. After four months here, though, I'm hooked. I wake up every morning, open the blinds, and think, "Ah, another day in paradise." (Especially right now, as we're in the middle of a stretch of sunny 65-75 degree weather.) I find that I'm much happier and more relaxed; presumably this will lead to greater success, though I can't guarantee it. In the meanwhile I'll just enjoy the sunshine :)
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V49
Send PM
Let me ask you this. If you got into, say, HBS, and UC San Diego, which would you choose?
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:

First, I'm not about to argue your beliefs about Stanford. Everyone has his/her own opinion and is certainly entitled to it. Congratulations on getting into Chicago and Columbia, they're both terrific schools.

Second, I think the choice between HBS and UCSD is clear for most. Re-reading my post, I don't think I indicated that weather was the sole reason for choosing a given school. But what about deciding between schools that are pretty evenly matched? Say Wharton vs. Stanford, or HBS vs. Stanford? Or Tuck vs. Haas, or UCLA vs. Darden? Weather and lifestyle are definitely reasonable factors in deciding between those schools. Perhaps that's not true for you (and that's fine), but I do know that it's true for many people.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
Bokke wrote:
labomba wrote:
Bokke wrote:

Maybe as a deciding factor of last resort, weather is acceptable. Maybe.

stanford is NOT a top school ? I really want to listen to this argument hehehe..

I think hbs and haas is not a fair comparison.. maybe ross vs haas would be a dilemma.
yea weather is a factor...it's just to what extent people consider it as a factor.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V49
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
Congratulations on getting into Chicago and Columbia, they're both terrific schools.

I haven't gotten in anywhere tbh.

terry12 wrote:
Second, I think the choice between HBS and UCSD is clear for most.

Which is why I made the comparison. Oversimplification is often an effective debating tool, at least in my experience. The point is, when it comes to a large quality gap, weather doesn't even begin to factor into the decision for any one. Why? Because, at the end of the day, weather is simply not important.

How does that apply to a Stanford vs. Columbia, for example? Simple, even with closely matched schools, even if you convince yourself that you are picking one over the other for weather reasons, there is probably some other reason. We aren't deciding where to go for spring break here. We are deciding who to shell over huge sums of money to for better jobs post-graduation. The decision an individual candidate is going to make is always going to boil down to maximizing that equation. An earlier poster who was "pro" weather even boiled it down to weather somehow meaning he/she was going to be more successful (not that that makes any sense mind you).

terry12 wrote:
Re-reading my post, I don't think I indicated that weather was the sole reason for choosing a given school. But what about deciding between schools that are pretty evenly matched? Say Wharton vs. Stanford, or HBS vs. Stanford? Or Tuck vs. Haas, or UCLA vs. Darden? Weather and lifestyle are definitely reasonable factors in deciding between those schools. Perhaps that's not true for you (and that's fine), but I do know that it's true for many people.

Lifestyle might be important, yes. Weather factors into lifestyle, true. But weather, on it's own, is not a legitimate reason to pick one school over another. Even lifestyle is going to be a secondary factor. Once again, you didn't apply to business school to go to awesome keggers. If you really wanted that, you could move to Scottsdale.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V49
Send PM
cul3s wrote:
stanford is NOT a top school ? I really want to listen to this argument hehehe..

Every single Stanford alum I have worked with, without exception, has been utterly incompetent. Maybe I have just been very unlucky when it comes to Stanford MBAs, but I doubt that somehow, so take that for what it's worth.

TBF, I used to live in San Francisco, and I always used to go drinking with Stanford MBA students on the weekends, so at least they are good for something. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
Quote:

First, I'm not about to argue your beliefs about Stanford. Everyone has his/her own opinion and is certainly entitled to it. Congratulations on getting into Chicago and Columbia, they're both terrific schools.

Second, I think the choice between HBS and UCSD is clear for most. Re-reading my post, I don't think I indicated that weather was the sole reason for choosing a given school. But what about deciding between schools that are pretty evenly matched? Say Wharton vs. Stanford, or HBS vs. Stanford? Or Tuck vs. Haas, or UCLA vs. Darden? Weather and lifestyle are definitely reasonable factors in deciding between those schools. Perhaps that's not true for you (and that's fine), but I do know that it's true for many people.

I agree with this statement completely. I think weather belongs somewhere in the "fit" category. If schools are pretty evenly matched and will both provide similar career opportunities...things like weather and metro area are important.

I live in the SF bay area too...and its been warming up the past week...no more scrapping ice off my windshield in the morning :) . I always feel funny doing that in California.
Current Student
Send PM
Bokke wrote:
I haven't gotten in anywhere tbh.

First, sorry I misunderstood. Good luck with your apps.

bokke wrote:
An earlier poster who was "pro" weather even boiled it down to weather somehow meaning he/she was going to be more successful (not that that makes any sense mind you).

Actually, that poster was me :-D And I stand by what I said. I spent the last four years working in a cold climate, clearing snow off my car, trudging to work, and feeling quite miserable four months of the year. I know I'm more productive now than I ever was before. That's how it's worked for me, it may not be appropriate in your own circumstance.

bokke wrote:
Lifestyle might be important, yes. Weather factors into lifestyle, true. But weather, on it's own, is not a legitimate reason to pick one school over another. Even lifestyle is going to be a secondary factor. Once again, you didn't apply to business school to go to awesome keggers. If you really wanted that, you could move to Scottsdale.

Again, weather and lifestyle aren't be-all end-all factors, but they do play a role- a prominent role, for lots of people I know.

In any event, I think you and I have established our differing opinions on this one. Feel free to contact me via PM, happy to discuss further.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
Bokke wrote:
Let me ask you this. If you got into, say, HBS, and UC San Diego, which would you choose?

Be nice to UC San Diego, its an excellent school. Top notch medical, science, and engineering school; and cheap tuition :) .

More to life than brand names...
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V49
Send PM
nomsg7111 wrote:
Bokke wrote:

Be nice to UC San Diego, its an excellent school. Top notch medical, science, and engineering school; and cheap tuition :) .

More to life than brand names...

I was being nice. I bet that is the first time you have seen HBS and UCSD in the same sentence! :lol:

(honestly though, I have nothing against UCSD - I mentioned it because of the great weather in SD alone)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Bokke wrote:

Too late...I already applied and some schools actually seem to be buying it.

Why do people get an MBA? More money? Better career? Desired industry? No matter what your reason, it has something to do with being happier. Unless you're talking about an ultra-elite, where you go to school is going to have everything to do wth where you end up working and living. I'd rather spend my money on a jet ski than a snowblower. That affects my happiness.

And where did Stanford get such great weather? The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco... 8-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
guys, isn't this all just a case of 'to each his own'. cool down the jets...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Stanford is not a top school? Hahaha.

It's practically the only school that HBS admits turn down HBS for. It has one of the most influential networks in the world, a small close knit class size, access to all sorts of PE/VC/HF recruiters, some of the best professors/facilities/curriculums, and I could go on and on. Even if Stanford was located in Minnesota or Wisconsin, it would still go head to head with Wharton and HBS.

Define "top school" for me again.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
This thread is starting to remind me of the BW School A vs School B vs School C threads.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
This thread is hilarious.

I think weather is in some ways a proxy for location. And if you claim that the location of your desired B-school education plays no part in your decision, then you're kidding yourself.

How many folks here have been to New Hampshire in the dead of winter? Or Chicago? ((raises my hand)) All right then - for those of you who haven't, let me tell you - it sucks. Badly. Chicago is my favorite large city, and the only one I'd ever live in, but winter STILL makes it seriously blow for four or five months of the year.

Obviously, if you get into an M7 school, it'd be hard to to turn it down. Good for you. For the other 98% of us here, location (i.e. weather) should play a part. Going to Darden, Duke, UNC or UCLA would be far superior, in my judgment, to a Ross or Yale for much of the year, especially since those precious summer months will be spent at your internship, not at school.

I applied to Haas over Kellogg solely on the basis of its location. Sorry, Evanston is an awesome city, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Eskimos living there come January.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3