GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton SF (EMBA) vs UCLA PT$ vs Haas vs Booth vs MIT Sloan Fellows

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which program would you choose at 34 (top 2)

• 25% [2]
  • 0% [0]
  • 37% [3]
  • 0% [0]
  • 37% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q41 V49
Wharton SF (EMBA) vs UCLA PT$ vs Haas vs Booth vs MIT Sloan Fellows  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2019, 14:23
Hi Everyone,

So I have a few options but I am having a hard time as the options are very different.

Wharton EMBA in San Francisco is a two year program structured like an EMBA that meets every other weekend, but still confers the exact same Wharton MBA degree with the same number of course hours and professors. It's a great program, allows me to continue working, and I receive the Wharton MBA brand. Total cost is around $200k

UCLA FEMBA is a three year part-time program and costs only $90k after receiving a $30k fellowship.

Haas and Booth are both traditional full-time two year programs and both are great schools and programs.

Lastly I applied to MIT Sloan two year program, but they offered me an interview for their Sloan Fellows program instead, which is a 1-year accelerated MBA and the majority of the class consists of international students. I'm not sure what that means in terms of how they view my candidacy, but I was hoping for a full-two year experience in Cambridge/Boston. That being said, saving a year and getting the same Sloan MBA degree is not so bad either. I'm just not as familiar with the one-year Sloan Fellows program.

Given the above, my current situation is that my current employer is willing to sponsor a portion of the part-time programs (Wharton SF or UCLA). I do like my current position given that I like my direct supervisor and the freedom I am afforded, and I also like the current project that I am working on. However, I am also unsure of the future of the company because I am not confident in the company's leadership and strategy.

I could either a.) Stay with my current company and have them sponsor my mba pursuits part-time, plus an extra year of working tied to the sponsorship or b.) go with a full-time program and take my chances with the unknown post graduation, but will need to give up sponsorship and my current project. I would matriculate at the age of 34 this year and work in media and entertainment. My post MBA goal is to work in strategy and BD at a major studio/platform or media/digital tech company.

Thoughts? Guidance? Vote? Any perspective helps!

Thank you all kindly!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q41 V49
Re: Wharton SF (EMBA) vs UCLA PT$ vs Haas vs Booth vs MIT Sloan Fellows  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 18:49
Hey Guys,

Thank you for the votes, but I've narrowed it down to either Wharton (2-year, part-time in SF), Haas (2-year, full-time), and MIT Sloan Fellows (1-year, Full-time). Wharton and MIT all confer the exact same MBA degree at the end of the program.

After graduating from UC Berkeley undergrad with a molecular biology major, I worked in China for 8 years in the entertainment industry, then worked in Los Angeles since. Post MBA I hope to work in strategy at a major film studio or media tech company in California. I chose these schools because they have a strong tech component, I want to broaden my exposure to incorporate tech because tech is playing a major role in shaping the future of the entertainment industry.

My thoughts are:
1. Wharton
- Strongest brand/prestige,
- Part-time allows me continue working so I don't need to stop my career, but I miss out on the FT networking and bonding component, which is supposedly the most integral part of an MBA
- Location is still in SF, so it allows a somewhat diluted or weak West coast network.
- This would be purely for career, classwork/knowledge and brand recognition.

2. MIT
- Second in terms of brand/prestige, best for Tech
- Only one year so I save a year's worth of time, but also isn't a full 2 year FT networking/bonding experience,
- The class is 80% international so the network will be very different... I'm not sure how special this class will actually be even if it is mostly international students who will all most likely go back to their country of origin
- Location is East coast, so not sure how helpful this will be in terms of West coast recruiting
- This would be partially for expediency (one year), and a (short) new experience in a new city

3. Berkeley Haas
- Still strong brand and network, but somewhat less than the other two
- True MBA experience with fully engaged and immersed class for 2 years
- Strong CA network for West coast recruiting
- This would be for the MBA experience in terms of networking, meeting new people, despite being in the same school as my undergrad...

Thoughts? Anything helps! Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton SF (EMBA) vs UCLA PT$ vs Haas vs Booth vs MIT Sloan Fellows   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 18:49

Wharton SF (EMBA) vs UCLA PT$ vs Haas vs Booth vs MIT Sloan Fellows

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap