GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

What after Ph.d in Abroad?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
What after Ph.d in Abroad?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 02:50
I am planning for Phd (2019). I noted the application date for most of the colleges falls in December. I am planning to apply for the top/medium colleges in my country as well as abroad.

As much as I love to do PHD and reaching, I am little concerned over what is the future for me after P.Hd in abroad. After Ph.d is there a chance for the student to get placed in the same institute or how the things will go on....? I don't want to ask this question, 'What's next' after 4 years.

I am little concerned about the depth of something that I am going to leap on. Experts, please reply.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Re: What after Ph.d in Abroad?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 03:28
This is the perspective for a Marketing PhD students, but other business fields should be close enough.

Usually, the expectation is that you will get a tenure-track position, working as a professor at some other research university. In most cases, you will work for a university that is ranked below the one you studied to get a PhD.

If things go well, we usually go to job market around our 4th year in the PhD. Interviews are held during a conference of the American Marketing Association (AMA), with universities from many countries.

It's important to check the placement of the universities you are applying to. See where former PhD students are working now, this should give you an idea about the quality of the job placement after graduating. AMA also has publishes the results of a survey called Who Went Where, showing information about job placement of Marketing PhD students (among other useful data).

The job market is very competitive, you better have at least one published paper before going to the job market. PhD students apply to a lot of universities, it's a long process, which requires lot of work.

If you get a tenure-track position, you will work several years at that position. After that time, if you are able to show that you deserve tenure, the university will offer a full position. If you don't get tenure, you will need to look for a job again.

http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
What after Ph.d in Abroad?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 13:29
prav04 wrote:
I am planning for Phd (2019). I noted the application date for most of the colleges falls in December. I am planning to apply for the top/medium colleges in my country as well as abroad.

As much as I love to do PHD and reaching, I am little concerned over what is the future for me after P.Hd in abroad. After Ph.d is there a chance for the student to get placed in the same institute or how the things will go on....? I don't want to ask this question, 'What's next' after 4 years.

I am little concerned about the depth of something that I am going to leap on. Experts, please reply.

Hello prav04

First of all it is PhD :)

We wouldn't know what your country would be and related to that where abroad might be.

Applications can be in December, usually for West Coast universities, but can be in January, February even later, depending where you want to apply.

After completion of your PhD studies, you can go to work for some other university as professor or go to market let say as researcher.

We don't know your intended specialization but with PhD in Business you can go to work for any major company in US, Europe or wherever.

Think Google, Amazon, Wall Street (if your specialization is related quantitative world) or whatever...in case you decide you dont want to be in academia, that has its prons and cons.

I have prepared separate topic post "PhD in Business non-academic alternative career options", that goes into more depth and detail regarding this issue and can be found here :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/phd-in-busin ... l#p2152170

Good Luck with your career choice ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What after Ph.d in Abroad?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 07:41
Hi!

You should evaluate the costs and benefits before you embark on a full time PhD.

In order to help you further could you please share some more details about yourself.

1) Background and area of research?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT? & Goal Score?
3) Institutes you have shortlisted.

Once you share this info then I feel experts here will be in a better position to guide you.

All the very best!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What after Ph.d in Abroad? &nbs [#permalink] 18 Oct 2018, 07:41

What after Ph.d in Abroad?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, carcass

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap