Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
soacid wrote:
Review request-

Background:
Indian Male
Age 29
GMAT 710 (Q49, V37)

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering

Work Experience: Total 5+ years

Job 1 - Analyst at an Indian tech unicorn (6 months)

Job 2 - Cofounder of a Tech start up - Raised institutional funds and sold it to a fortune500 tech company (40+ months)

Job 3 - Senior Technical Product Manager at the company that bought my start up.(12+ months)

Extra curricular - Proficient with two musical instruments.

Post MBA Goal - Get back to entrepreneurship with a more structured outlook and approach.

Hi soacid
Thanks for sharing your profile here.
My name is Shimri Winters and I head the strategy hear at ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting

From what I can see
The "good"
- amazing work experience
- I love entrepreneurship experience, and when they are successful, even better!
- the fact that your company was bought, is an interesting experience you can discuss (Working for yourself, vs. working for the acquirer...)
- Nice extra-curricular activities

The unknown
- International experience?
- Managerial experience?
- Current job is in the same industry as before?
- GPA
- Volunteering?
- Full school wish list?

The "less good"
- GMAT - you come from a very competitive background, and a 710 for an Indian male engineer might not be enough for a school like MIT (but again, I am missing some info...)

All in all, sounds like you have a solid profile! but I am missing the info above to give you a chances estimation.
Happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps if you send me your CV and any other info to Shimriw@ARINGO.com
GOOD LUCK!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

Would really appreciate a profile evaluation folks.

Male - Pakistan, 29. Will be 30 by the time I start the program next Fall.

BBA, 3rd Ranked B-School in the country GPA 3.3/4
MBA, From a Top 2 business school in the country, GPA 3.06/4
GMAT - 750
CFA Level 1 and 2 passed.
I am hoping my GMAT and CFA Level 1 and 2 can compensate for the lower GPA?
Extra Curr: Have been President of various societies in university, and involved in a lot of charity work as well. Also have been the founding member of official supporters club of an England based football team in Pakistan. Years of handwork and pure dedication have gone into it, and the community is still running strong.

WE: 5 years by Fall 21 (All in Pakistan)

16 months with a Digital Media Start Up. Started off as a Marketing Analyst, and got a promotion within 6 months.
Associate Markets & Deals, 9 months with a Fortune 500
Financial Sales Analyst, US based Forbes Cloud 100 company. 7 months.
15 months at a gaming start up. Here I was responsible for scaling the product and the entire strategy formulation.
Currently working as an Account Manager for a US based Insurance Company in their Pakistan office. Just started 2 months ago.

My biggest concern is the hopping I did in my 2nd and 3rd job (9+7 months) and if it would come back to haunt me? I blame my ambitious self for it, since I really felt I couldn't grow in those roles, and switched jobs frequently. I would also be willing to wait another year and start in Fall 2022 instead if my job consistency would be a problem for the adcoms.

Reasons for doing a 2nd MBA are simple. The Pakistan MBA experience happened when I was too young. Most of what I learned in class was pure theory that I couldn't connect with, as there was no work experience to set the context. Students, especially in Pakistan jump on the MBA bandwagon right after completing their undergraduate degree, and I did the same. It is also very common for universities to select students for their MBA program with no prior work experience.

Secondly, and most importantly, while I have worked in international firms in Pakistan, my aspirations are no longer limited to Pakistan only. The 2-year Pakistan MBA degree hasn't helped in taking the leap into the international arena. Hence, an MBA from a top global B-school would be passport to a truly global career.

Post MBA goal is to get into Tech or Management Consulting ideally in London or Dubai.

Will really appreciate honest feedback. Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
ARINGO

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort into providing free consultation to those in need.

I have gone thru your website and did the MBA Admission Chances Calculator, and I ended up with a score of 76.7. Could you please guide me thru what does that mean as I got a bit confused :)

Thanks in advance!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nust2017,

Your profile looks great. A score of 750 definitely does compensate for your GPAs and anyway you have done your undergrad and MBA from top colleges in your country, so on the academic part, you are quite sorted. Your ECs look great exemplifying some great leadership experiences. Your involvement in the England based team looks interesting and it should compensate for your lower international experiences.

Your work-experience is interesting and varied. You have worked in different roles and industries and if you can showcase this as your strength in your post-MBA goals (by making them more specific and inspired by previous experiences), your job hopping should not be a problem.

For your international experience, you have worked in international companies and if you communicate how working with people of different countries contributed to your growth, you are pretty much sorted. See, adcoms look for international experiences because in business schools you meet people from different worlds and if you have not done that before, it may hinder your growth and your team's growth in the school. Therefore the only important part here is to exhibit global awareness and that you have worked with people of different cultures and you know how their thought process work. For this, I also suggest bringing a global vision to your goals and aspirations (and not just settling in another country).

Your reasons for second MBA does make sense and the best part of your profile is that it is very well-connected, the gaps can be filled by the very right experiences that your profile gives. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile at length and try to guide you better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin

With more than 8 years of experience spanning across entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship, Shantanu has worked across the globe as a Procurement Manager, Product Manager (Marketing, Operations, Payments and Risk/ Fraud), Growth Consultant, eventually unraveling his love for helping candidates with their MBA application as a Coach. Shantanu started coaching applicants, with his team, right after he graduated from INSEAD in 2017. Have a look at his success stories and some real essays of his clients
nust2017 wrote:
Hi,

GMAT - 750
Extra Curr: Have been President of various societies in university, and involved in a lot of charity work as well. Also have been the founding member of official supporters club of an England based football team in Pakistan. Years of handwork and pure dedication have gone into it, and the community is still running strong.

16 months with a Digital Media Start Up. Started off as a Marketing Analyst, and got a promotion within 6 months.
15 months at a gaming start up. Here I was responsible for scaling the product and the entire strategy formulation.
Currently working as an Account Manager for a US based Insurance Company in their Pakistan office. Just started 2 months ago.

My biggest concern is the hopping I did in my 2nd and 3rd job (9+7 months) and if it would come back to haunt me? I blame my ambitious self for it, since I really felt I couldn't grow in those roles, and switched jobs frequently. I would also be willing to wait another year and start in Fall 2022 instead if my job consistency would be a problem for the adcoms.

Reasons for doing a 2nd MBA are simple. The Pakistan MBA experience happened when I was too young. Most of what I learned in class was pure theory that I couldn't connect with, as there was no work experience to set the context. Students, especially in Pakistan jump on the MBA bandwagon right after completing their undergraduate degree, and I did the same. It is also very common for universities to select students for their MBA program with no prior work experience.

Secondly, and most importantly, while I have worked in international firms in Pakistan, my aspirations are no longer limited to Pakistan only. The 2-year Pakistan MBA degree hasn't helped in taking the leap into the international arena. Hence, an MBA from a top global B-school would be passport to a truly global career.

Post MBA goal is to get into Tech or Management Consulting ideally in London or Dubai.

Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
troublesomexyz wrote:
ARINGO

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort into providing free consultation to those in need.

I have gone thru your website and did the MBA Admission Chances Calculator, and I ended up with a score of 76.7. Could you please guide me thru what does that mean as I got a bit confused :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi troublesomexyz
Shimri from ARINGO here

Simply send me your CV, GMAT split, school wish list and any other info and I will give you a deeper chances estimation...
As always I am on shimriw@ARINGO.com
good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
ARINGO

Sent you an email, and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to evaluate my profile in detail. I'll surely be in touch soon :)

MBAnBevaluations wrote:
Hi nust2017,

Your profile looks great. A score of 750 definitely does compensate for your GPAs and anyway you have done your undergrad and MBA from top colleges in your country, so on the academic part, you are quite sorted. Your ECs look great exemplifying some great leadership experiences. Your involvement in the England based team looks interesting and it should compensate for your lower international experiences.

Your work-experience is interesting and varied. You have worked in different roles and industries and if you can showcase this as your strength in your post-MBA goals (by making them more specific and inspired by previous experiences), your job hopping should not be a problem.

For your international experience, you have worked in international companies and if you communicate how working with people of different countries contributed to your growth, you are pretty much sorted. See, adcoms look for international experiences because in business schools you meet people from different worlds and if you have not done that before, it may hinder your growth and your team's growth in the school. Therefore the only important part here is to exhibit global awareness and that you have worked with people of different cultures and you know how their thought process work. For this, I also suggest bringing a global vision to your goals and aspirations (and not just settling in another country).

Your reasons for second MBA does make sense and the best part of your profile is that it is very well-connected, the gaps can be filled by the very right experiences that your profile gives. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile at length and try to guide you better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Linkedin

With more than 8 years of experience spanning across entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship, Shantanu has worked across the globe as a Procurement Manager, Product Manager (Marketing, Operations, Payments and Risk/ Fraud), Growth Consultant, eventually unraveling his love for helping candidates with their MBA application as a Coach. Shantanu started coaching applicants, with his team, right after he graduated from INSEAD in 2017. Have a look at his success stories and some real essays of his clients
nust2017 wrote:
Hi,

GMAT - 750

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
sxasas

Originally posted by ShankSouljaBoi on 15 Oct 2020, 09:32.
Last edited by ShankSouljaBoi on 23 Jan 2021, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ShankSouljaBoi,

Your profile looks quite great. Your work-ex seems amazing with India's largest bank and big responsibilities and also founding three start-ups. Your ECs seem great as well. So, overall, I think your personal and professional stories are quite strong and if you are able to improve your GMAT to 700, you have a good shot at Sloan. But you belong to a highly over-represented group and so, you need to bring a very strong story (which I believe you can). We are delighted to hear your story and guide you in the best possible manner to help you understand yourself and the schools better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Success stories and Real essays
Linkedin
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
I am a male from India , an engineer, cancer survivor, eventually shifted to India’s largest bank SBI(world rank 35 , a fortune 500 fully government company). Have work ex of 6 years as a credit analyst, handling portfolio to the tune of 400-500 Crores of Indian Rupees. Undergrad – 67%. Topper stood at 72%. I am cofounder at 3 fintech start ups. State level cricket and State level Basketball (coached and captained). 3 years with a registered NGO. GMAT 650 . I’ll improve to 700 . What are my chances at Sloan consider applying in Round 2, per the credentials submitted to you above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi!

Background and nationality: British and lived in London since 1999. Also lived in Holland for first 6 years of my life. Ethnicity would be Pakistani.
Undergrad Information : GPA 3.3
GMAT: 720
Work experience and leadership :
1 year international experience working as a senior associate for PwC in Qatar reporting directly to CSP (Head of Qatar PWC)
2 years experience working as an analyst for Deloitte.
Additional roles in accounting, internal audit and project management.

Total EXP: 5 years

Lead a team of 6 where we invest in financial markets (stocks, commodities and forex)
Performed some voluntary work in Pakistan in 2015 where I taught young students from less fortunate backgrounds Maths & English
Football and Cricket team captain
Travelling

Post MBA goals
Work for leading Tech firms in silicon valley

Thank you for your time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Thanks again!

Originally posted by WeWillGetIn on 11 Nov 2020, 20:07.
Last edited by WeWillGetIn on 25 Aug 2021, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jesliwoo

Every school has its own dedicated profile evaluation topic. I am merging this topic with the master profile evaluation topic :)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-are-my- ... 04980.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Thanks Nikhil! Sorry for the inconvenience!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
jesliwoo wrote:
Thanks Nikhil! Sorry for the inconvenience!

No worries at all. It's all good :)

You can also go through some previous posts in this topic to see how some of the other profiles have been evaluated :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

You have a strong profile overall. Boston has a lot of activity in healthcare/ Healthcare startups, so post-MBA recruiting opportunities should be good and MIT SLoan could be the right MBA to provide those resources (9% of the class comes from healthcare).
I'd consider a transfer to another country as a definite plus, with all the adjustments to a new college environment and culture and use that to say how I was able to adapt adjust and be involved while getting higher grades. Also I don't see a problem with an Asian background in biotech - if that helps you bring in some kind of diversity, then even better.
All the best. Go ahead and appl. Also consider Wharton
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jesliwoo,

Your overall profile is quite competitive. First, about your concern of low GPA, I do not see it as a huge deterrent because of your massive improvement in the last 4 sems and your GMAT anyway should compensate for it enough. Also, MIT can be a great choice for you given your recommendations from MIT alum and high influx of people with a biotech background in the school.

Your work experience clearly exhibits a great career trajectory with some great endeavours of yours, especially your contribution to IND submission. I also liked the fact that you are being involved in different departments and you should communicate how this is impacting your understanding of an organization and the industry. Your career goals are in alignment with your experience and do make sense to me (MIT can provide some great opportunities in the industry).

You do have some great experiences beyond work in the healthcare industry. Also, I liked that you are a career mentor for UIUC students, it does exhibit that you can always be ready to contribute to your alma mater and many top business schools appreciate this. But seeing your profile I only can see a healthcare professional and not a person. So, make sure you also talk about your passions and interests and personality in your apps. Additionally, try to find the gaps in your profile that an MBA from MIT (or other schools) can help fill and lead you to your life goals. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile at length and address your hiccups well. Feel free to book our calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Schedule a free session
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
azie786 wrote:
Hi!

Background and nationality: British and lived in London since 1999. Also lived in Holland for first 6 years of my life. Ethnicity would be Pakistani.
Undergrad Information : GPA 3.3
GMAT: 720
Work experience and leadership :
1 year international experience working as a senior associate for PwC in Qatar reporting directly to CSP (Head of Qatar PWC)
2 years experience working as an analyst for Deloitte.
Additional roles in accounting, internal audit and project management.

Total EXP: 5 years

Lead a team of 6 where we invest in financial markets (stocks, commodities and forex)
Performed some voluntary work in Pakistan in 2015 where I taught young students from less fortunate backgrounds Maths & English
Football and Cricket team captain
Travelling

Post MBA goals
Work for leading Tech firms in silicon valley

Thank you for your time!

Hey azie786,

I would like to start off by saying that you have a pretty competitive profile.
Talking about your personal life, you have a very diverse upbringing. Having lived in both Holland and the UK being a Pakistani citizen would allow you to bring a lot of diversity to the cohort. Moreover, your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 3.3 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you.

Apart from this, your GMAT score is quite excellent and further goes on to authenticate your strong academic capabilities.
Coming on to your work experience, you have 5 years of relevant work experience. Having two big brand names in your profile and an international work experience bolsters your profile tenfold by not only showcasing your capabilities to work and excel in diverse environments but also gaining a broadened perspective. Here, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the excellent quality of your work.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. You have some CSR initiatives and sports aspects in your profile which definitely showcase your proactive and determined attitude. However they do fall on the shorter end. Hence, accounting for the same, you can take up some initiatives such as organizing cultural events in your workplace or taking up relevant certification in your field of interest. Extracurriculars are a great way to showcase your skills like leadership, networking, communication skills, etc. Thus, you must get your hands on some extracurricular engagements/initiatives to strengthen your profile.

Coming to your school choice, MIT Sloan comes under the ultra-dream category, where you have a stringent acceptance rate of 40-50%. Coupling your profile with a strong application and applying in earlier rounds should boost your chances of getting accepted into Sloan.

However, it is not always a good idea to target one school alone. Rather you should go for a mixed bag of dream and competitive schools to hedge your bets wisely. That said, here are few schools you can be looking at:

Dream: Wharton, NYU, Duke
Competitive: USC Marshall, Fordham, Michigan Ross

To sum up, while you have a pretty impressive profile, you will be competing against applicants who have similarly competitive or even better profiles. That said, your application, which holds 30% of weightage on your chances of acceptance, would help you stand out from the crowd. It thus becomes imperative that you craft an application that successfully highlights not only your calibre but also your potential to add value to the school.

Lastly, if you are looking for some professional help to guide you through the application process of top business schools in the world, I’d suggest you book a free consultation call with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that would definitely get you an admit in your dream school.

LINK for the FREE Consultation call-
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  21   
Moderators:
Sloan and Fuqua Moderator
12 posts
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts