Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Schools: Booth '23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

I could really use a profile evaluation favor. I would like to know whether I am a good fit for this school and for which schools I may be a good fit. Thanks in advance!

Nationality:
Georgia (European country, not a state!), was born here and currently based here.

Age at the start of studies:
27 (if I apply in January for R2)
28 (if I apply for 2022 intake)

Undergrad information:
Bachelor of Arts in Economics from an average private university in Warsaw, Poland. GPA around 4.8/5.

GMAT:
730 (Q49, V40); IR 6; AWA 6.0
I’ve canceled the first test result.

Work experience and leadership:
Current: For the past 3.5 years I’ve been working at the LSE listed FTSE 250 constituent top bank in Georgia. For the last 1.5 years I’ve been the head of regional corporate investment banking team. Started out as a junior banker.
Current: Board member at the medical non-profit society, responsible for creating the biggest annual international conference of anesthesiology in Georgia.
Past: AML analyst for 1.5 years at Citibank in Warsaw, Poland.

Extra curriculars:
Passed CFA Level 2 Exam, targeting Level 3 exam in May 2021.
2011-12 Finalist of US Department State funded Future Leaders Exchange Program, via which I went to the USA and studied at a US high school for one full academic year, on full scholarship and a stipend.
2014 Participated in Startup Weekend by Google in Warsaw and won a symbolic prize.
2014 Participated in Erasmus Intensive Program when I was in Warsaw. I led the team in Portugal where we simulated the launch of a business for 10 days.
2019 Participated as a panel discussion speaker at Krynica Economic Forum with top finance executives, we spoke on FinTech and digital banking.

Post MBA goals:
Private equity shop or venture capital would be a dream come true. Otherwise, investment banking preferably with GS, MS or top tier boutiques.

Languages:
Fluent Georgia, English, Russian
Conversational Polish

Recommendation letters:
Will be able to get recommendation letters from the top management of the bank I work for. Some of the recommenders are top 20 bschool alums.

Target schools:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, MIT, Yale, Cornell.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello everyone,

A brief background about me, I am a Chartered Accountant from India working with Walmart India Private Limited as a Manager, Business Finance (Category Finance) responsible for entire P&L set of General Merchandise, Electronics, IT and Office Supplied portfolio (25% share of India business). Here, I’ve led multiple projects across the board, cultivating leadership and stakeholder management and skills, industry understanding, and 360-degree view of solutions. Working with category-merchants regularly, I've built an understanding of product assortment, new product decisions, pricing structure of varied industries, inventory management, vendor selection and negotiation strategies.

Building on the Category management experience that I've had working alongside Merchants, I want to propel my career full-fledged towards Category / Product Management / Growth strategy.

Post MBA, I want to work in mentioned roles at Walmart E-commerce leveraging my Walmart knowledge and cultural immersion to develop new products/brands, manage, and scale existing portfolio. This will help me grasp tech firms’ outlook towards expanding categories; how they innovate, ideate development opportunities, and bring them to market. I’ll also master product supply chain and end-to-end lifecycle. Leveraging this, in the long term, as India or Southeast Asia Head/Director of Growth in this firm, I’ll enable my firm to innovate and establish win-win partnerships with local businesses, the lifeblood of Indian economy.

Undergrad study and GPA – Bachelor of Commerce, Delhi University, GPA 4.0/4.0
GMAT – 710, Q48, V38, AWA-6, IR-8
English Test – Waiver, as my schooling and undergrad education was 100% taught in English.

Work Experience:
· 4 years at Walmart India Private Limited
· Prior to Walmart, I worked full-time for 3 years at Sahni Natarajan and Bahl Chartered Accountants, Delhi as an Articled Assistant to complete the mandatory three-year CA training. Here I was responsible for performing risk based assessment of indispensable business processes. These assignments were piloted towards adding value to client’s business by identifying operational process and control related gaps and giving recommendations to remediate the same. I led multiple teams of 4-6 members on 12 assignments across varied industries ranging from telecom (Aircel) to manufacturing (Maruti Suzuki, Pepsico India).

Extracurriculars:

Work aside, I am an avid sports lover-cricket, football, tennis I play them all- I am state level cricket player and was high school sports and cricket team captain, leading my team to victories in several inter-school and district matches. Though I do not pursue sports professionally, I have carried forward this passion into Walmart, Organizing two ‘Formula Fun’ sports meet (Nov’17, Nov’18) - 5 events, 145-150 associates; coordinated with sports facility in Gurugram, arranged neutral referees and refreshments during matches. I also formed a group of cricket lovers and organized matches with other corporate teams in Gurugram.

I an active volunteer at Zomato Feeding India responsible for identifying 'hunger spots' -underserved areas in the city needing sustained help- reaching out to and securing regular food, clothes and other essential supply from nearby localities, restaurants, voluntary donors etc. and distributing to the needy.

Can you help evaluate the profile and help me understand my chances for getting an admit in MIT.

Apart from MIT, I am looking at UCLA, Yale, Tuck, Ross, Darden and Duke.

Thanks,
Swastik
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi swastik0704,

You are one tough guy. It's great to see such a mature profile with only 4 years of work-ex post-training/post-graduation. Starting with your work, you are heading a big division and I am sure you can bring many interesting stories on the table out of your professional career. Right from your training, you've had big impacts on the companies you've worked for. And I totally loved your long-term goals. You have connected all the dots precisely. For one thing, I believe the understanding of the product supply chain would play a crucial role in your long-term vision. So, you can also choose it as elective or core subject during your MBA. MIT, Ross and Darden, I know, can be really suitable to your profile. You should also consider Haas.

Your undergrad GPA is perfect. GMAT is slightly lower than the average but then there are many pieces of evidence of your academic potential and your profile should definitely compensate for it. So, this part is pretty much sorted.

Your ECs, too, are notable. Speaking about them with the right passion would greatly enhance your apps as US schools are quite interested in your extracurriculars. So, overall, you have a great profile and stand a good shot at all the schools you've mentioned. But I have seen people with great profiles getting complacent in their apps. So, make sure your apps bring a "360-degree view" of your preparedness and willingness to apply to your dream schools ;)

If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile at length and help you understand the schools better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

swastik0704 wrote:
Hello everyone,

A brief background about me, I am a Chartered Accountant from India working with Walmart India Private Limited as a Manager, Business Finance (Category Finance) responsible for entire P&L set of General Merchandise, Electronics, IT and Office Supplied portfolio (25% share of India business). Here, I’ve led multiple projects across the board, cultivating leadership and stakeholder management and skills, industry understanding, and 360-degree view of solutions. Working with category-merchants regularly, I've built an understanding of product assortment, new product decisions, pricing structure of varied industries, inventory management, vendor selection and negotiation strategies.

Building on the Category management experience that I've had working alongside Merchants, I want to propel my career full-fledged towards Category / Product Management / Growth strategy.

Post MBA, I want to work in mentioned roles at Walmart E-commerce leveraging my Walmart knowledge and cultural immersion to develop new products/brands, manage, and scale existing portfolio. This will help me grasp tech firms’ outlook towards expanding categories; how they innovate, ideate development opportunities, and bring them to market. I’ll also master product supply chain and end-to-end lifecycle. Leveraging this, in the long term, as India or Southeast Asia Head/Director of Growth in this firm, I’ll enable my firm to innovate and establish win-win partnerships with local businesses, the lifeblood of Indian economy.

Undergrad study and GPA – Bachelor of Commerce, Delhi University, GPA 4.0/4.0
GMAT – 710, Q48, V38, AWA-6, IR-8
English Test – Waiver, as my schooling and undergrad education was 100% taught in English.

Work Experience:
· 4 years at Walmart India Private Limited
· Prior to Walmart, I worked full-time for 3 years at Sahni Natarajan and Bahl Chartered Accountants, Delhi as an Articled Assistant to complete the mandatory three-year CA training. Here I was responsible for performing risk based assessment of indispensable business processes. These assignments were piloted towards adding value to client’s business by identifying operational process and control related gaps and giving recommendations to remediate the same. I led multiple teams of 4-6 members on 12 assignments across varied industries ranging from telecom (Aircel) to manufacturing (Maruti Suzuki, Pepsico India).

Extracurriculars:

Work aside, I am an avid sports lover-cricket, football, tennis I play them all- I am state level cricket player and was high school sports and cricket team captain, leading my team to victories in several inter-school and district matches. Though I do not pursue sports professionally, I have carried forward this passion into Walmart, Organizing two ‘Formula Fun’ sports meet (Nov’17, Nov’18) - 5 events, 145-150 associates; coordinated with sports facility in Gurugram, arranged neutral referees and refreshments during matches. I also formed a group of cricket lovers and organized matches with other corporate teams in Gurugram.

I an active volunteer at Zomato Feeding India responsible for identifying 'hunger spots' -underserved areas in the city needing sustained help- reaching out to and securing regular food, clothes and other essential supply from nearby localities, restaurants, voluntary donors etc. and distributing to the needy.

Can you help evaluate the profile and help me understand my chances for getting an admit in MIT.

Apart from MIT, I am looking at UCLA, Yale, Tuck, Ross, Darden and Duke.

Thanks,
Swastik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Was hoping to get some insight on my overall profile.

Indian / F / 27.

I have strong academic credentials:
1. CGPA 10 / Rank #1 in secondary school examination (CBSE - grade X)
2. 96.25% / Rank #2 in higher secondary school examination (CBSE - grade XII)
3. CGPA 7.8 / 10 / Rank #3 in BCom with a major in Accounting and Finance
4. CFA Charterholder

Professionally, I have ~5.5 years of investment banking experience in India, of which I spent ~4 months working at the company's office in New York.

In addition, I am extremely passionate about Yoga. I am a certified instructor and teach on a regular basis.

I also took the GMAT last week after around 2 weeks of prep but scored a 640 (Q42 V35 AWA5 IR6). I lost points in Quants, but I am hoping my academic and professional qualifications would make up for it. I was wondering whether this score, considered in tandem with my overall profile, would be deemed competitive.

Thanks!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
NP2909 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Indian / F / 27.

4. CFA Charterholder

Professionally, I have ~5.5 years of investment banking experience in India, of which I spent ~4 months working at the company's office in New York.

In addition, I am extremely passionate about Yoga. I am a certified instructor and teach on a regular basis.

I also took the GMAT last week after around 2 weeks of prep but scored a 640 (Q42 V35 AWA5 IR6). I lost points in Quants, but I am hoping my academic and professional qualifications would make up for it. I was wondering whether this score, considered in tandem with my overall profile, would be deemed competitive.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Overall you have a lot going for you--and congrats on your accomplishments thus far! Your academic credentials are impressive, and while I don't know a ton about your company and your specific career progression (i.e. promotions and projects) it sounds like that is super solid as well.

Unfortunately a 640 is likely going to hold you back at many top schools, including Sloan. For better or for worse a good indication of success in the admissions process is how closely your score aligns with the average score of the school--and for applicants from over-represented backgrounds it should ideally be higher. If you're not planning on applying until fall of 2021 (to start in 2022) I'd definitely recommend giving it another try and focusing specifically on improving the areas you felt held you back.

We've seen lots of folks make great progress with tutoring and focused work so it's definitely possible! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Background and nationality - Indian American (the Asian, not the Native)
Undergrad Information - Large Public in US, 3.4 GPA in engineering
GMAT: Will not submit GMAT
2 years in an engineering role (medium sized company), 2 years in engineering (large company), 2.5 years in a data science role (same company). My current role is very visible and impactful.

Community and others
As of 2 years ago:
-I am in my city's zoning commission
-I am in the board of a volunteer organization
-I help nonprofits w/ project management and coming up with ideas.

Post MBA goals
-I wish to remain in my current industry, use the MBA to improve my knowledge to rise me up in the company. I also want the MBA to help me be a better community member.

Anything else? I've had a few encounters with death, not sure if that's a big deal. My current job I've done a lot of work with so many teams and have learned so much. My letter of recommendation will be really good. My reference I will put some people really high up in the company.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
baconboi:

Appreciate all the information. I realize you have to keep much of this information anonymous, so here is a high level assessment with what you have shared:

Strengths: Interesting community involvement. I will want to know more specifically about your accomplishments to assess the level of impact. Career progression seems appropriate. Plus, the diversity of roles might offer fresh perspectives into your essays about your work experience and your post-MBA goals. Being a non-career switcher makes things way easier but you will have to bring tremendous insight about the mark you will leave upon returning.

Weaknesses: GPA is fine but not stellar. For engineering, it'll probably be passable but it would be nice to have a GMAT score to prove your technical capabilities. You also come from a competitive demographic, so we need to ace all the other components of your application.

I would love to do a more in-depth but there are many key missing bits of information:

When are you applying? This year? Round 2?
Where are you interested in applying? Are you focused on Sloan or did you just post here for a profile evaluation?
Why aren't you taking the GMAT?
Who is writing your letters?

Life-altering stories can be impactful but it all depends on the fine details.

Please reach out to us at Admissionado for a free consultation if you are serious about applying and need help with your essays, resumes, letters of recommendation, etc. We can also help you form a school list and rank your odds at each of those schools.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Regards,
Seth
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado

Hi,

Yes, I will apply round 2. I will receive my LoR from my director, who is my manager's manager. I am applying to Sloan, Ross and 4 or 5 other schools that don't require GMAT or have the waiver, but Sloan is the highest ranked so I figured I could get a review here to set me straight. I am not taking GMAT due to needing to stay focused on my current work initiatives, and it not being required. Sorry for not being too specific, but it sounds like as long as I whip my essays into good shape and my LoR is good (should I try to get it from someone higher up, or just the people who know me the best?), I should be OK.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
baconboi:

Good with the people who know you best and who you can trust. That is infinitely more important than seniority.

Please reach out to us at Admissionado if you need help with your application, particularly the essays. We have essay-dedicated support that might just what you need to attack Sloan (cover letter + video) and other similarly ranked schools.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Best,
Seth
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi baconboi,

Though MIT Sloan has waived off GMAT score as a necessary requirement, the adcom will still assess the applications thoroughly along with finding evidence of your quantitative aptitude. Your GPA not being very excellent may put some questions over here. So, try to address this concern in the best manner possible. You may get some insights over this by our recent blog where we talk about the ways to enhance your application without GMAT. I must say your profile seems good. You have not provided many details of your work-ex but what I can gauge from the given is you have an impactful, innovative and core experience.

You very well cross the average 5 years mark of the class profile. The average GPA stands at 3.54 at MIT Sloan. In the absence of the GMAT score, the detailed explanation of your work experience and career trajectory matters all the way more to make an informed evaluation.

As MIT prefers STEM background candidates, your goal to remain within your industry will align well with an MBA there. Mentioning of near-death experiences is as good as your learnings and the way they have shaped you for better. You may highlight specifically how a certain event changed your perspective or made you a better human. You can also showcase any leadership position you handled in a dexterous way for your organization or how you took reins and managed a crisis.

Your community experience seems another highlight of your profile. I want to understand what exactly you mean when you say that an MBA will help you make a better community member. Overall, I believe you can bring a lot of good from your story and MIT can be a good fit for your profile based on your goals and your creativity (which the school highly emphasizes).

Which other schools are you eyeing? Feel free to tap us if you have any query or if you need any help in understanding the schools better. I will be very glad to assist you in your MBA journey.

Book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

baconboi wrote:
Hi all,

2 years in an engineering role (medium sized company), 2 years in engineering (large company), 2.5 years in a data science role (same company). My current role is very visible and impactful.

Community and others
As of 2 years ago:

Post MBA goals
-I wish to remain in my current industry, use the MBA to improve my knowledge to rise me up in the company. I also want the MBA to help me be a better community member.

Anything else? I've had a few encounters with death, not sure if that's a big deal. My current job I've done a lot of work with so many teams and have learned so much. My letter of recommendation will be really good. My reference I will put some people really high up in the company.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
yatins wrote:
Hi All,

Would really appreciate your evaluation of my profile:

Nationality: Indian (living in Canada)
Gender - Male
Education:
1. 10th Grade - 94.8% (2nd in school)
2. 12th Grade - 96.8% (1st in school and among top 0.1% scorers in Physics in the country)
3. University - Integrated Bachelor and Master of Technology degree program in Mechanical Engineering (Masters focus on Industrial Engineering and Management) from Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi
CGPA - 8.62/10 (rank 2 out of 22)
Experience as teaching assistant, event coordinator, departmental magazine editor.

Work Experience (total 4.5 years)
1. Analytics Consultant at EXL Service for a banking client (3 years in India and 1 year in US). Promoted twice and managed teams of 2-3 fresh graduates. Received multiple awards.

2. Data Scientist at Teck Resources (6 months in Canada) - individual contributor supporting mining supply chain optimization and financial modeling efforts.

Professional Certifications
1. Cleared FRM Part 1 and 2 exams
2. Cleared CFA Part 1 and 2 exams

GMAT - yet to appear. Is it worth applying for R2 without a score given the requirement has been waived off this year? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Hey there!

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 8.62 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you. The brand name of IIT further aids in strengthening your profile as MIT tends to favor candidates from top schools of each country.

Coming onto your work experience, you have 4.5 years of relevant work experience which is quite competitive considering that you are applying for an MBA program. You have also gotten several awards and promotions in these positions which definitely highlights your aptitude for excelling. However, there is one major factor that is missing throughout your profile and it is the lack of big brand names. The brand name definitely plays a major role in an application as you’d be competing with applicants from the top schools and big4 companies. To negate the lack of big brand names, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created, and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the intensity and extent of your experiences and establish you as no less than a big4 candidate.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. Therefore, it is good to see that you have undertaken CFA and FRM certifications as they highlight your proactiveness and your will to constantly upskill yourself. However, schools tend to favor applicants who showcase excellence in all fronts and not just academic aspects. Hence, accounting for the same, you can take up some volunteering activities or partake in your company's CSR initiatives to display community involvement. Extracurriculars are a great way to showcase your skills like leadership, networking, communication skills, etc. Thus, you must get your hands on some extracurricular engagements/initiatives to strengthen your profile.

Given your school choice, MIT falls under the dream category which means you stand a 30-40% chance of getting into the program. Since this year's GMAT has been waived, you can definitely go ahead with your decision to apply in the second round. One important thing that you must be mindful of is that while applying to B-schools, it is important to hedge your bets wisely and apply to a good mix of 6-8 schools. Hence, you should also consider targeting schools such as Georgia Tech, Maryland, Wisconsin, Texas, McCombs, Northeastern, Darden, Vanderbilt, etc. that are also offering waivers at the moment.

Another aspect that I would like to draw your attention towards is the importance of the application. A strong application holds 30% of weightage in the entire admission process and as you would be competing against candidates with similar strong profiles, it becomes imperative that you craft an application that successfully highlights not only your caliber but also your potential to add value to the school.

Lastly, since you wish to apply to some of the top-notch and highly competitive schools in the world, I’d suggest you book a free consultation call with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that would definitely earn you an admit from your dream school.

LINK for the FREE Consultation call:

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
NP2909 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Indian / F / 27.

4. CFA Charterholder

Thanks!

Hey there,

On the surface, your profile seems to have some good points, for example, your academics, graduating with a GPA of 7.8 definitely showcases your academic prowess. Moreover, your undergraduate degree in B.Com with a major in Accounting and Finance as well as being a CFA charterholder showcases your strong inclination towards the field of finance.

Coming on to your work experience, you have an extensive amount of work experience in investment banking. You haven’t mentioned the company name, but in case it’s not a global brand, you would be required to focus on the kind of roles you have undertaken, the projects you undertook, and the positive impact you were able to create during your stint. Thus, effectively showcasing your work experience can help you establish in the minds of the admission's committee that you are no less than your competition who would most likely be Big 4 candidates.

Additionally, an impressive feat in your profile is an international experience. Gaining international exposure through your work bolsters your profile by providing you with an opportunity to showcase your broadened horizons and the ability to succeed and adapt in foreign environments.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. You are a certified yoga instructor and teach on a regular basis which is very unique and stands out in your profile. In addition to this, you can get involved in volunteering activities along with NGOs, or take up a few relevant certifications and online courses. This way these varied skills can contribute towards you being a great future leader which would automatically impress the adcoms.

Coming on to your GMAT score, a score of 640 with Q42 is a bit on the lower end considering your target school - MIT. Having said that, since MIT has waived off the GMAT/GRE requirements for the upcoming intake, you may put this element of your application to rest.

However, I would suggest hedging your bets wisely and apply to a good mix of 6-8 schools as applying to simply one business school is not an optimal strategy, hence you can also check out some of the top school below:

DREAM: NYU, Vanderbilt, McCombs
COMPETITIVE: University of Texas, University of Southern California, Washington University: Olin, University of Rochester, University of Florida
SAFE: Ohio State University: Fisher, SMU: Cox, Boston College

In my final word of advice, I’d like to say that even though your profile is decent, you need to be mindful of the fact that you’d be facing competition with even better profiles. This is why I’d suggest you lay emphasis on your admission application as a strong application can increase your chances of admission by 3X and is also the way through which you can highlight your strengths and give apt justifications for your weaknesses to smooth over any flaws in your profile.

Since you wish to apply to one of the top-notch and highly competitive schools in the world, you must be looking for some professional help to guide you through the application process for fall 2021. Hence, I’d suggest you book a free consultation call with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that would definitely earn you an admit to your dream school.

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
baconboi wrote:
Hi all,

Community and others
As of 2 years ago:

Post MBA goals

Hi baconboi,

Academically, your undergraduate GPA of 3.4 is pretty impressive and showcases your academic prowess which coupled with your nationality will help differentiate you from the crowd. Most schools are looking to add diversity to their cohort and your background gives you a unique perspective which definitely provides value addition to their program. While your grades do play an important part, the brand of the college for your undergraduate program also matters when targeting schools like MIT Sloan, as you will be competing with candidates from top-grade schools all over the world. Thus, given the lack of a big brand with respect to your undergrad, you need to draw attention towards the growth opportunities you’ve pursued during your undergrad to showcase a holistic front.

As far as your work experience goes, since an MBA is a manager's degree and requires significant work experience, your 6.5 years of work experience would put you at par with other applicants. You have a pretty diverse work profile, varying from engineering to data science roles. Although you lack big brands in your work experience, you can compensate for this by providing an apt reason as to why you chose these firms, how you have gone beyond the role, any initiatives you took, and any kind of impact created to showcase an equally competitive profile.

Coming to your work experience, your volunteering roles for social causes with NGOs showcase your strong interest in developing your profile holistically by highlighting your ability to take up initiatives, impact others, and to empathize with other people. Showcasing such traits will further strengthen your application. In addition to this, you could also take up some certifications or courses, since the top B schools are on the lookout for applicants who are on the path of constantly upskilling themselves.

Moving on to the school that you are targeting, I’d say you have a chance of 40-50% of getting accepted into a dream school like MIT Sloan.

Having said that, to increase your chances of getting admitted to this school, you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application consisting of well-drafted Essays, LORs, and a resume to back your profile. As a matter of fact, your application aids in setting you apart from the other applicants and has a 30% impact on your acceptance chances. You thus need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you will be a great value addition to the school.

Moreover, when applying abroad, in order to hedge your bets wisely, it is always better to target a mix of dream, competitive, and safe schools. Having said that, you can take a free profile evaluation to gauge the competitiveness of your profile and gain access to a personalized list of schools.

Click on the link below to avail your free evaluation:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hello All - need your help to evaluate my profile.

Background and nationality:
Indian

Undergrad Information:
BE, Electronics & Communication, MIT Manipal
CGPA - 8.1

Grad Information:
MS, Computer Science, BITS Pilani
CGPA - 7.1

GMAT:

6 years of work ex in Cisco across Account Management, Customer Success & Technical Center.
Have been managing Biggest IT Customer & Biggest Indian Conglomerate for Cisco.

Community and others:
Have been associated with Becoming I foundation for a short period and now with Animal Angels for a while now.

Post MBA goals
Getting into Digital Transformation Consulting

Additional Information:
4 Promotions in 6 years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all- would appreciate a profile evaluation for MIT LGO R1 2021 Fall
All the stats below will be at Matriculation
25 Male Indian born - American Citizen
Undergrad: GPA 3.60 Electrical Engineering from Virginia Tech GMAT: 720 (Q49,V38) - want to increase it with another attempt
Work Experience: 3 years at one of the Automotive Detroit 3 (GM/Ford/FCA) -
Part of the early career rotation program -Year 1- Worked in launch excellence as a Software Integration Engineer
Year 2 -Design Release Engineer (read Product Owner/ Part Owner) (new part for next gen cars) (>$1M) overseas supplier-Design decisions led to savings of greater than $1M.
Year 2 and beyond: — Assistant Program Engineering Manager- Owner of a whole vehicle an all its parts
Manage and lead all issues related to the particular program- remove all blockers and keep program on track (timing and budgetary)

Extra Curricular: Member of Advisory Board for Early Career Rotation Program within my company
Mentor for New Hires every hiring cycle
Very Active in sports- especially Cricket: Play 2 different leagues and company team (sport big part of life)
Volunteering: Active volunteer at Junior Achievement Detroit - Spend one morning every month with a class of Middle Schoolers from inner city schools and walk them through a course of financial literacy, to guide them in making good decisions as they become young adults and help them understand the importance of a college education.

During undergrad: Part of the Consulting Group where we provided pro-Bono consulting services to small businesses across our school town.
President of the a sports Club
Joined the club as a freshman when we had 500$ and left it with 10,000$ where we regularly used to travel and play at regional and National conferences.

Why MBA? I have had an inclination towards leadership and management kind of roles since undergrad and always knew I will eventually do an MBA. After working with innovative ideas and designs in my current role I want to pivot to PM roles in Tech or get back to consulting - preferably strategy or management consulting where I can get a breadth of experience. Long term I want to work in Tech management /innovation. I am sure people leave their MBA with a different mindset than when they enter so this might change.

And please let me know if there are any other programs I should consider. Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAprep1997 wrote:
Hey all- would appreciate a profile evaluation for MIT LGO R1 2021 Fall
All the stats below will be at Matriculation
25 Male Indian born - American Citizen
Undergrad: GPA 3.60 Electrical Engineering from Virginia Tech GMAT: 720 (Q49,V38) - want to increase it with another attempt
Work Experience: 3 years at one of the Automotive Detroit 3 (GM/Ford/FCA) -
Part of the early career rotation program -Year 1- Worked in launch excellence as a Software Integration Engineer
Year 2 -Design Release Engineer (read Product Owner/ Part Owner) (new part for next gen cars) (>$1M) overseas supplier-Design decisions led to savings of greater than $1M.
Year 2 and beyond: — Assistant Program Engineering Manager- Owner of a whole vehicle an all its parts
Manage and lead all issues related to the particular program- remove all blockers and keep program on track (timing and budgetary)

Extra Curricular: Member of Advisory Board for Early Career Rotation Program within my company
Mentor for New Hires every hiring cycle
Very Active in sports- especially Cricket: Play 2 different leagues and company team (sport big part of life)
Volunteering: Active volunteer at Junior Achievement Detroit - Spend one morning every month with a class of Middle Schoolers from inner city schools and walk them through a course of financial literacy, to guide them in making good decisions as they become young adults and help them understand the importance of a college education.

During undergrad: Part of the Consulting Group where we provided pro-Bono consulting services to small businesses across our school town.
President of the a sports Club
Joined the club as a freshman when we had 500$ and left it with 10,000$ where we regularly used to travel and play at regional and National conferences.

Why MBA? I have had an inclination towards leadership and management kind of roles since undergrad and always knew I will eventually do an MBA. After working with innovative ideas and designs in my current role I want to pivot to PM roles in Tech or get back to consulting - preferably strategy or management consulting where I can get a breadth of experience. Long term I want to work in Tech management /innovation. I am sure people leave their MBA with a different mindset than when they enter so this might change.

And please let me know if there are any other programs I should consider. Thanks

Hi MBAprep1997

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA LGO aspirations
My name is Shimri Winters, I head the strategy here at ARINGO

ARINGO work with about 6-8 LGO candidates each year. Your profile looks great!
From what I can see:
    Academics – great undergraduate university and GPA seems high for your degree. Well done!

GMAT - Well, 720 is not high, but for LGO, the GMAT is not the most important factor (your undergrad have a big influence too) we have had LGOs with 680/690 (with a full-ride scholarship), and 700 in the past, so this is not an issue. Having that said, a higher score would be better…

Extracurricular activities – I love both your hobbies (sports is always good, team sports even better) and very happy to see you have some volunteering too, throughout university and now!

Work Experience – nice career progress so far, and hope to see some more between now and the application deadline

Your career goals – this is where you need some help - LGO is more about operations than “regular” MBA programs that are more about entrepreneurship/strategy/consulting – but we have plenty of time to think about that.

All in all, sounds like you have a solid profile for the LGO program

Happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together. But we have plenty of time… I suggest you reach out around May to discuss this further… as always, I can be reached at Shimriw@ARINGO.com
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.94
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'll give this a go. Applying in Round 2.

Nationality: American
Identity: White Transgender
Undergraduate education: University of Maryland GC
Undergraduate Degree: East Asian Studies
GMAT Score – 740 (Q 49, V 42, IR 8, AWA 5)

Work experience:
Currently working for a top defense contractor in Maryland since Feb 2019. I am the senior analyst of an 11-person team, and I oversee all US Army counterintelligence (CI) operations west of Chicago. I have been promoted and given raises twice. I was selected to lead the first on-site integration of our team directly with our customer and input real-time CI consult during an international conference, and also delivered a brief to 450+ attendees at a national defense conference.

Prior to my current position, I was enlisted Air Force. I was a Chinese linguist, learned the language at the Defense Language Institute, and worked primarily in Hawaii. I was promoted several times and attained a Mission Manager position where I oversaw a 50+ member team, leading operations support, training, feedback, and service-mission integration efforts.

Successes:
Reporting delivered during Presidential brief
Reporting directly to the SecDef
Coined by my commander
Honor graduate of basic military training and my Chinese course
Maintained Deans list every semester/magna cum laude
Letter of rec written by my current supervisor; received monetary bonus
Selected for Taiwan immersion course at Tamkang University during Chinese course

Recs include a retired Chief Warrant 5 who I work for now, who honestly will write me a glowing recommendation. The other is my previous supervisor from my enlisted stint, who I can confidently say will write the same type of rec.

Extra-curricular activities:
I have several real estate investments and manage a few properties in my off-time.
I am a drag performer across the Baltimore-DC area and have performed at notable venues.
I have coached high school wrestling in three different states.
I completed a Make A Wish business internship in Hawaii, managing 250+ volunteers and aiding two wishes.
I was selected for the National Air Force wrestling team and competed at the 2017 Armed Forces Wrestling competition.

Post-MBA Career Goals:
In the short term, I want to work in either strategic or government consulting. Based on my professional experience, this seems like both a natural progression and a career change.
Long term goals vary across two paths; I either want to continue rising in the consulting world/create a consulting firm among my network, or I want to increase my East Asian studies, utilize that knowledge and an MBA and perform in an ambassador/embassy role. (I don't usually include that in my apps)

I was admitted to Georgetown last year and ultimately deferred.
Round 1 applications only include USC, where I have already interviewed.
Round 2 apps include HBS, Yale, Booth, LBS, NYU, MIT and UCLA.

Very interested in your thoughts as your perspective is much, much greater than mine in terms of competition. Thank you for your time!

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  21   
Moderators:
Sloan and Fuqua Moderator
12 posts
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts