It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What does the mind power actually mean????

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 3

Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Re: What does the mind power actually mean???? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2008, 16:40
Not to contradict what you have said, but I wanted to add to this conversation (lol). I always considered mind power to be the mind's raw ability to think. IQ tests can somewhat measure it unreliably, but I think standardized tests like the SAT and GMAT can also. It is the raw amount of ability that a person has to do the things he/she can (work, school, GMAT, speak german, or whatever other activities). This number (if measured) of the mind power index (or IQ) should be normally related to your score on tests and your conceptual skills in the workplace.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 15:11
I'm very suspicious of the notion that there is some raw quality of someone's mind that makes them smart - as if most people are born with some innate intelligent quotient. I do agree that some folks are just very smart, and some undoubtedly are, but the vast majority of us "learn" to be smart, if that makes sense. It's a combination of factors - biological (your DNA), social (your upbringing) and what education you had access to (good schools, good teachers, and parents who care about your education). Also, it's important to note that having had access to good nutrition as a child is crucial to developing intelligence, since so much of the brain's development happens at a very early age.

Standardized tests gauge your acuity at taking standardized tests, some of which require certain skills that some people may or may not be strong with. That's all. I think the generalized notion of "intelligence" is far too vague to quantify with any sort of test, no matter how cleverly designed.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 23:59
I too have been reading about this stuff lately and there is a growing amount of interest and information out there now. It appears first you must understand your inherent power, believe in your ability to harness and utilize it and you will almost automatically begin to “make things happen”. Anything that you do and the things that subsequently take place in this “reality” are just a matter of the unified quantum field expressing itself. I was totally unaware of this and then I came across the concept of practical quantum reality (subscribe to the newsletter and you’ll receive tonnes of valuable info), it allowed me to begin to understand this mostly un–discovered principle/law of the nature of things and the actual meaning of everyone’s potential mind power. The first step is to gather information and dig into it; best of luck to you on this interesting and powerful journey.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 648 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
In my notion, mind power is corroborative conjugation of Logic and emotion. Any work can be defined within the premises of these two. If a person wants to win a football match, first he acquires the vigor through passion, patriotism or something else. Now all these factors that help him build stamina and mental stability about the game come from emotional perspective. But the strategy, tricks and traps to win the game are part of the logical analysis. Therefore, to win a game or an exam we need balanced concoction of emotion and logic. Only emotion can not make somebody winner as well as only logic lacks the throttle to execute or start the process. Now take one scenario, more often than not several GMAT test takers pointed out that during test they expected to score 700+ and afterwards ended up with unwanted score. Actually at the time of exam they concentrated too much on score and then emotional consequences evaded their logical power. If they kept control on emotional attitude, they would acquire the stamina to do even the last problem in Verbal with same concentration whereas logical power would help eliminate answers in GMAT way. In gist I can conclude that mind power and applicability of mind power is sole effort to manage emotion and logic at conjuncture of time.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Kudos [?]: 648 [1], given: 6

Re: What does the mind power actually mean????   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2008, 10:41

What does the mind power actually mean????

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap