Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is going on with my GMAT prep? [#permalink]
As a follow-up, what befuddles me on Quant is my apparent lack of real progress since my initial CAT. I've spent nearly all of these past three months focused heavily on Quant -- reviewing principles, watching videos, working practice problems, etc. -- and my Quant score just hasn't budged.

CAT 1: 42Q
CAT 2: 41Q
CAT 3: 44Q
CAT 4: 42Q
CAT 5: 42Q

It seems like basically no matter I've done, I'm stuck right in the 42Q range, give a take a point or so either way to account for random variation. In general I feel like I've learned a tremendous amount and that I'm much better at Quant than I was in the past, but the end-of-day scores just refuse to meaningfully budge. I was hoping to be in the Q46-Q47 range by this point, but obviously that hasn't happened.

I'll also add that, for better or worse, my Quant score doesn't seem to be responsive to how I "feel" the section went. For example, I thought the Quant on CAT 1 and CAT 2 were absolute trainwrecks, and ... Q42. On the other hand, I thought the Quant on CAT 2 and CAT 5 went pretty well, and ... Q42. And even on CAT 3, which is the highest I've scored to date, it felt the same as it did on CAT 2 and CAT 5, when I scored a couple of points lower.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: What is going on with my GMAT prep? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
outsidethesidelines wrote:
As a follow-up, what befuddles me on Quant is my apparent lack of real progress since my initial CAT. I've spent nearly all of these past three months focused heavily on Quant -- reviewing principles, watching videos, working practice problems, etc. -- and my Quant score just hasn't budged.

CAT 1: 42Q
CAT 2: 41Q
CAT 3: 44Q
CAT 4: 42Q
CAT 5: 42Q

It seems like basically no matter I've done, I'm stuck right in the 42Q range, give a take a point or so either way to account for random variation. In general I feel like I've learned a tremendous amount and that I'm much better at Quant than I was in the past, but the end-of-day scores just refuse to meaningfully budge. I was hoping to be in the Q46-Q47 range by this point, but obviously that hasn't happened.

I'll also add that, for better or worse, my Quant score doesn't seem to be responsive to how I "feel" the section went. For example, I thought the Quant on CAT 1 and CAT 2 were absolute trainwrecks, and ... Q42. On the other hand, I thought the Quant on CAT 2 and CAT 5 went pretty well, and ... Q42. And even on CAT 3, which is the highest I've scored to date, it felt the same as it did on CAT 2 and CAT 5, when I scored a couple of points lower.

Stats say that if you haven't successfully solved a GMAT Quant question in the first 2.5 to 3 mins, it is very unlikely that you will get it correct by spending another min or two on it. Most GMAT Quant questions are designed in a way that they can be solved in about a minute. A general sense of confusion due to anxiety and long winded approaches lead to about 2 mins spent on every question. If you are taking more than 2 mins, it implies a gap in conceptual understanding and hence the probability of answering that question is low. I suggest you to check out this post: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/
It discusses a couple of strategies for time management.

But as you pointed out, problems in Quant run deeper than time management. Use the last few tests you have taken and find out "why" you made mistakes. The topics, the relevant concept etc. Also, consider questions in which you were unsure though correct. Review all this topics from another, more detailed source. Then try more of those type of questions. Work on each individual concept in which you have problems. The quant score will run up if you do so.

As for Verbal, your intuition is probably spot on but you have started overthinking. Note that GMAT is an aptitude test - a test of all you have learned in school. Many high school kids would probably do quite well in GMAT without any prep. Sometimes we get so lost in grammar, idioms etc on GMAT questions that we forget to think logically and hence falter when faced with rarer formats. I would say that you should go with your gut on CR and RC - if you are comfortable with English, you shouldn't face any problems in these two (assuming you know the different question types etc). On SC, decide what you think is the right answer but before you mark it, take a step back to ensure that all is in place grammatically too. Try this strategy for a test and see if it works.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello outsidethesidelines,

If you don't think timing is the major issue here there are a few other things you may consider. But before going on to those I would like to mention a handful of things about timing. If you are finishing with time to spare it's possible that you are making many mistakes in your calculations or not reading carefully enough. You can know the material cold but if you move too quickly you can still miss very simple problems. It's important to look back at the problems that you missed on your CATs and understand the reason you missed the questions. If the answer is apparent now that you're not under exam conditions, if for almost every question you say, "How could I have possibly missed that?" you may be working too quickly (either due to occasional rushing because you spent too much time on other questions or because you feel more confident on one question compared to the others.)

The second point I would look into is your CAT test conditions. It's important that you take many of them during the course of your studies, and do the whole thing, including the essay and IR. Take the normal allotted breaks only. Taking long pauses between sections or only completing the core sections could produce higher scores than normal, simply because you're more relaxed and probably in a better state physically and mentally. That point is related as well to focus. Completing full length CATs are also important to build your ability to remained focused for an extended period of time.

In this month leading up to exam day I would first pause to look over the previous CAT tests. Take note of the question types you missed and why. I would then schedule 1-2 tests a week, the whole thing under testing conditions, and time to review the results. I hope you can gain valuable insight from that process.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot