Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Schools:Yale SOM, Tuck, Ross, IESE, HEC, Johnson, Booth
 Q50  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: What is the equation of the line k that is perpendicular to line y = 2 [#permalink]
tarek, what you mean to say is that

line y = 3x + 5 is same as y = 3x+ 10 (generic equation being y = mx + c)

which I dont think is correct as the intercept c is different. These are two different parallel lines in X-Y co-ordinate plane. You have to figure out the unique value of the "c" to find the equation.

So answer is C which gives you the "c" intercept as -1/4.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: What is the equation of the line k that is perpendicular to line y = 2 [#permalink]
gmatcraze wrote:
Can someone help to verify my approach to this problem? I agree that for DS problems, we need not solve it completely ... but am giving the steps below, in case this was a PS problem. Thanks.

What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to line y=2x and passes through point (a, b)?
1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

Sol.
Since the two lines are perpendicular, slope of given line =2
Slope of the perpendicular line = -1/2
To write the equation for the perpendicular line, we need the to find its y-intercept

From (1), Cannot determine the value of a and b. Not suff
From (2), Cannot determine the value of a and b. Not suff

From (1) and (2), -2b =1 => b=-1/2
Required equation of the line: y= -1/2x -1/2

perpendicular line is y=-1/2x +c

1) a = -b -->(1)
(a,b) passing throw this line
y=-1/2x +c
b=-1/2*a+c --(2)

Here we have two equations but three unknowns
Not suffcieint

2) a - b = 1 -->(3)
b=-1/2 *a+c --(2)
two equations and three variables

Not suffcient

combined.
three equations and three variables..

suffcient
C.

In this question you need not to solve it completely..

But be careful, some times question may ask for what is value of (a-b) .?
In this scenario, please try to solve it completely.. because two equations may be suffcient.

e.g a-b+c-d=4 -->(1)
3c=4-3d (2)
here we have only two equations.. but we can find a-b? but can't find a or b or c or d values.
I hope this helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
krishan wrote:
tarek, what you mean to say is that

line y = 3x + 5 is same as y = 3x+ 10 (generic equation being y = mx + c)

which I dont think is correct as the intercept c is different. These are two different parallel lines in X-Y co-ordinate plane. You have to figure out the unique value of the "c" to find the equation.

So answer is C which gives you the "c" intercept as -1/4.

of course, I agree that line y = 3x + 5 is NOT the same as y = 3x+ 10. But according to my numbers which are (5,-5) or even (-5,5), the y intercept here will be 0 because if b is 0, then (0,0). So if you draw that line, you've basically found your line to make your equation out of it, no? What's the OA so that we can finalize our confusion once and for all...heheh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
[quote="GMAT TIGER"][quote="gmatcraze"]Can someone help to verify my approach to this problem? I agree that for DS problems, we need not solve it completely ... but am giving the steps below, in case this was a PS problem. Thanks.

What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to line y=2x and passes through point (a, b)?
1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

guys, i got a question : are not the two statements contradictory?
1 st says a = -b 2.st a - b = 1 a=b ????
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
tinki wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
gmatcraze wrote:
Can someone help to verify my approach to this problem? I agree that for DS problems, we need not solve it completely ... but am giving the steps below, in case this was a PS problem. Thanks.

1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

guys, i got a question : are not the two statements contradictory?
1 st says a = -b 2.st a - b = 1 a=b ????

Not really, the statements don't seem to be contradicting each other. On the contrary, they are complementing each other for us to get their values.

St 1:
a = -b
Adding b on both sides:
a+b=0 ----I

St 2:
a-b=1-----II

When we solve both equations I and II, we get;

a=1/2 and b=-1/2
Now, we know the coordinate through which the line passes;

Since the line is perpendicular to y=2x, the slope of the line is -1/2. Note: Product of slopes of two perpendicular lines equals -1.
\(2*m_2=-1\)
\(m_2=-1/2\)

Equation of a line with slope=m and passing through \((x_1,y_1)\) is:
\(y-y_1=m(x-x_1)\)

Equation of a line with slope=-1/2 and passing through \((1/2,-1/2)\) is:
\(y-\frac{-1}{2}=\frac{-1}{2}(x-(\frac{1}{2}))\)
\(y+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{-1}{2}x+\frac{1}{4}\)
\(y=\frac{-1}{2}x-\frac{1}{4}\)

The attached image contains the two lines we talked about:
Attachments

perpendicular_lines.PNG
perpendicular_lines.PNG [ 14.03 KiB | Viewed 9865 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tarek99 wrote:

of course, I agree that line y = 3x + 5 is NOT the same as y = 3x+ 10. But according to my numbers which are (5,-5) or even (-5,5), the y intercept here will be 0 because if b is 0, then (0,0). So if you draw that line, you've basically found your line to make your equation out of it, no? What's the OA so that we can finalize our confusion once and for all...heheh

Hey tarek99,
That was great thinking though there is something else you need to think about... A line can be uniquely defined if you have the slope and any one point.
Now a line will pass through (0, 0), (5, -5), (-5, 5) and every such point (where a = -b) but what will be its slope? If a line of slope (-1/2) passes through (5, -5), will it also pass through (-5, 5) or (0, 0)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
I think the equation of line is least botheration to the designer of this question. The question can be rephrased more simply -
Can you determine a and b with two equation s1 and s2. The answer is C

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmat1220 wrote:
I think the equation of line is least botheration to the designer of this question. The question can be rephrased more simply -

If I change the equation of the given line:

'What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to line y=x + 12 and passes through point (a, b)?'

the answer becomes (A) not (C). Figure out why.(tarek99 has a point)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:

If I change the equation of the given line:

'What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to line y=x + 12 and passes through point (a, b)?'

the answer becomes (A) not (C). Figure out why.(tarek99 has a point)

How so, Karishma? Even for this equation, I think there can be infinite lines that will be perpendicular to "y=x + 12" and pass through points (1/2, -1/2) or (1,-1) or (100, -100). How will that make "A" alone sufficient?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fluke wrote:
How so, Karishma? Even for this equation, I think there can be infinite lines that will be perpendicular to "y=x + 12" and pass through points (1/2, -1/2) or (1,-1) or (100, -100). How will that make "A" alone sufficient?

Hey fluke,
First of all, I think your solutions are pretty good. Great job.
As for this question, a line perpendicular to y = x + 12 will have a slope of -1 (since product of the slopes should be -1)

This line passing through (0,0) or (1/2, -1/2) or (1, -1) or (100, -100) will be the same line since its slope is -1.
Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Ques2.jpg
Ques2.jpg [ 6.4 KiB | Viewed 9771 times ]

Feel free to contradict.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
fluke wrote:

Hey fluke,
As for this question, a line perpendicular to y = x + 12 will have a slope of -1 (since product of the slopes should be -1)

This line passing through (0,0) or (1/2, -1/2) or (1, -1) or (100, -100) will be the same line since its slope is -1.
Attachment:
Ques2.jpg

Feel free to contradict.

Oh yes!! "y=-x" will be the equation if a=-b
I am bit myopic at times, Karishma. Thanks for the clarification.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
That's the reason don't trust algebra since x's and y's may block the sight of the bigger things ;-)

My decision to not calculate the equation of line in original question since its waste of time on DS question. Not that I can't do it. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
fluke wrote:

Hey fluke,

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg

Feel free to contradict.

I agree the equation of the line with slope -1 bagging the condition a = -b is X+y=0.

But coming to the question posed...
We are asked to find a line with slope -1/2 satisying the conditon a=-b . There are many lines perpendicular to the given equation.
Eq : (0,0) equation : x+2y=0
(1,-1)equation : x+2y+1=0
(2,-2) equation: x+2y+4=0
All of these are different lines with slope -1/2 passing through (a,-a).

So my bet is on option C, only way we can close in on a single line equation.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618941 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatcraze wrote:
What is the equation of the line k that is perpendicular to line y = 2x and passes through point (a, b)?

(1) a = -b
(2) a - b = 1

M12-13

1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

Sol.
Since the two lines are perpendicular, slope of given line =2
Slope of the perpendicular line = -1/2
To write the equation for the perpendicular line, we need the to find its y-intercept

From (1), Cannot determine the value of a and b. Not suff
From (2), Cannot determine the value of a and b. Not suff

From (1) and (2), -2b =1 => b=-1/2
Required equation of the line: y= -1/2x -1/2

Official Solution:

What is the equation of the line \(k\) that is perpendicular to line \(y = 2x\) and passes through point \((a, b)\)?

Since line \(k\) is perpendicular to \(y=2x\), its slope must be the negative reciprocal of the slope of \(y=2x\), which is \(2\). Therefore, the slope of line \(k\) is \(-\frac{1}{2}\). Using the formula for slope, which is the "rise over run" or change in \(y\) divided by change in \(x\), we can find the equation of line \(k\) passing through the point \((a,b)\) with slope \(-\frac{1}{2}\). Thus, we have the equation \(-\frac{1}{2}=\frac{y-b}{x-a}\), which simplifies to \(y=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}+b\).

(1) \(a = -b\).

If \(a=b=0\), the equation of \(k\) becomes \(y=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}+b=-\frac{x}{2}\), but if \(a = 1\), and \(b= -1\), the equation of \(k\) becomes \(y=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}+b=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}-1\). These are two different equations, so statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

(2) \(a - b = 1\).

If \(a=1\) and \(b=0\), the equation of \(k\) becomes \(y=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}+b=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}\), but if \(a = 0\), and \(b= -1\), the equation of \(k\) becomes \(y=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}+b=-\frac{x}{2}-1\). Again, these are two different equations, so statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have two distinct linear equations \(a = -b\) and \(a - b = 1\), which we can solve for \(a\) and \(b\), and get the exact equation of line \(k\). Solving gives \(a=\frac{1}{2}\) and \(b=-\frac{1}{2}\). Therefore, the equation of line \(k\) is \(y=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{a}{2}+b=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{2}=-\frac{x}{2}-\frac{1}{4}\). Sufficient.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts