Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Re: What is the impact of not volunteering on an application? [#permalink]
If there's one thing I do with direct patient care, it is helping others. The difference is I am getting paid, and because I get paid, I am not going out of my way to do it. So I don't know if an admissions committee would say to themselves, 'yes he gets paid to help people, but he also gives hope to people with very little every day.'
I would like to get involved with Habitat for Humanity because I like to build. I also want to be more involved with an R/C airplane flying club; unfortunately, the two clash. The best flying is early morning on the weekends and I know construction also starts early in the morning.
I almost feel like I'm asking if I can be selfish about my free time and still get into MBA school.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
xraymiller wrote:
If there's one thing I do with direct patient care, it is helping others. The difference is I am getting paid, and because I get paid, I am not going out of my way to do it. So I don't know if an admissions committee would say to themselves, 'yes he gets paid to help people, but he also gives hope to people with very little every day.'
I would like to get involved with Habitat for Humanity because I like to build. I also want to be more involved with an R/C airplane flying club; unfortunately, the two clash. The best flying is early morning on the weekends and I know construction also starts early in the morning.
I almost feel like I'm asking if I can be selfish about my free time and still get into MBA school.

Unless you plan on applying sometime in the future, not this fall, I would just go with what you have. Sometimes it looks worse to volunteer just to beef up your application. Habitat for Humanity is a popular one (this from comments made by admissions). They dislike it when an applicant helps out with Habitat a few months prior to applying to b-school.

Of course, this isn't to say you are not going to get in if you don't volunteer as many students do get in. But, remember, you may be competing against people who work 12+ hour days and still make time to volunteer. Every case is different.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
Helping people without pay isn't a checkbox on the application. They're looking for well-rounded people who take at least some interest in others in their community. If your job happens to give you an opportunity to help people all day, that's great and definitely something you'll want to talk about in your applications. I think it is important to be able to talk about something interesting and important to you that takes place outside work though. It could be a hobby, your family, maybe even your dog. The adcom just wants to know that you're not a one-dimensional applicant.
Given Kudos:
tortoiserun wrote:
Helping people without pay isn't a checkbox on the application.

I like that, but there is a section on my application about volunteering and I don't feel I have the right to make references to helping people (via work) in that section.

The last 5 semesters I was completing my Bachelors. So that was full-time school and full-time work +. I would hope that they would say 'this guy deserves a break and some time to himself.' Now I am studying for the GMAT through Manhattan GMAT. It feels like I'm in class full-time again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
xraymiller wrote:
tortoiserun wrote:
Helping people without pay isn't a checkbox on the application.

I like that, but there is a section on my application about volunteering and I don't feel I have the right to make references to helping people (via work) in that section.

The last 5 semesters I was completing my Bachelors. So that was full-time school and full-time work +. I would hope that they would say 'this guy deserves a break and some time to himself.' Now I am studying for the GMAT through Manhattan GMAT. It feels like I'm in class full-time again.

Fair enough, I guess it is kind of a checkbox :) I agree, I definitely wouldn't put your work stuff there. But I think even if you have to leave it blank, you'll still be OK if you have a good application overall. There are definitely people who didn't do structured volunteer activities and still got into top b-schools. If you have the time and inclination to get involved in something, by all means, go for it (and get started sooner than later). But if not, just focus on what you already have to offer.
GMAT Club Bot