GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49251
What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 02:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

94% (00:52) correct 6% (01:14) wrong based on 32 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a line segment of length 8 that is tangent to the circle and the distance between C and the center of the circle is 10?


A. 4

B. 6

C. \(4\sqrt{3}\)

D. 8

E. \(2\sqrt{41}\)


Attachment:
image033.jpg
image033.jpg [ 2.29 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Posts: 571
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.68
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Aug 2018, 04:22
Bunuel wrote:
Image
What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a line segment of length 8 that is tangent to the circle and the distance between C and the center of the circle is 10?


A. 4

B. 6

C. \(4\sqrt{3}\)

D. 8

E. \(2\sqrt{41}\)


Attachment:
image033.jpg


CO = 10

CB= 8

BO =?

Applying the Pythagorean Theorem :

\(CO^2 = CB^2 + BO^2\)

\(10^2 = 8^2 + BO^2\)

\(100 - 64 = BO^2\)

\(BO^2 = 36\)

BO = 6.


The best answer is B.

Originally posted by selim on 24 Aug 2018, 03:11.
Last edited by selim on 24 Aug 2018, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Come! Fall in Love with Learning!
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 450
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 03:16
Hi,

For geometry questions, try to draw the figure and label the information, properties associated with the figure, you will get the answers quickly.

Here they have given a circle and shown tangents whose length is 8. Also given distance between C and centre is 10.

Remember: Tangent and radius are perpendicular to each other.

We can use the right triangle pythogorean rule and get the value of the radius.

Look at the below diagram for better understanding.

Or else, know the common pythogorean triplets 3-4-5, 6-8-10 and 5-12-13. Very popular in aptitude exams.

So here is the radius of the circle is 6.

So the answer is B.
Attachments

GTC - 24-08-18.png
GTC - 24-08-18.png [ 12.01 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]


_________________

GMAT Mentors
Image

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 845
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 03:28
selim wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Image
What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a line segment of length 8 that is tangent to the circle and the distance between C and the center of the circle is 10?


A. 4

B. 6

C. \(4\sqrt{3}\)

D. 8

E. \(2\sqrt{41}\)


Attachment:
image033.jpg


CO = 10

CB= 8

BO =?

Applying the Pythagorean Theorem :

\(CO^2 = CB^2 + BO^2\)

\(10^2 = 8^2 + BO^2\)

\(100 - 64 = BO^2\)

\(BO^2 = 36\)

BO = 6.


The best answer is A.


It must be a typo. BO=6 corresponds Ans.B
_________________

Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Posts: 571
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.68
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Re: What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 04:22
PKN wrote:
selim wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Image
What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a line segment of length 8 that is tangent to the circle and the distance between C and the center of the circle is 10?


A. 4

B. 6

C. \(4\sqrt{3}\)

D. 8

E. \(2\sqrt{41}\)


Attachment:
image033.jpg


CO = 10

CB= 8

BO =?

Applying the Pythagorean Theorem :

\(CO^2 = CB^2 + BO^2\)

\(10^2 = 8^2 + BO^2\)

\(100 - 64 = BO^2\)

\(BO^2 = 36\)

BO = 6.


The best answer is A.


It must be a typo. BO=6 corresponds Ans.B


Thanks PKN. Edited.
Re: What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 04:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the radius of the circle shown above with center O, if CB is a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.