It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 0

Location: Chicago
What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2008, 20:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and c?

1. \(a = \frac{12}{bc}\)

2. \(b = 3, c = 2\)


See attached for spoiler and a follow-up question
Attachments

box.png
box.png [ 40.85 KiB | Viewed 851 times ]


_________________

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math look exciting!!!

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 555

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2008, 23:00
ans is A.

stat 1) vol = product of three sides , which is given in A.

stat 2) the third side is not given. can be anything.

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 304

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 01:31
arjtryarjtry wrote:
ans is A.

stat 1) vol = product of three sides , which is given in A.

stat 2) the third side is not given. can be anything.


No where it is mentioned that a, b and c are lenth. breadth and hight.
Hence it should be "E"

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Location: Chicago
Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 10:57
vivektripathi wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
ans is A.

stat 1) vol = product of three sides , which is given in A.

stat 2) the third side is not given. can be anything.


No where it is mentioned that a, b and c are lenth. breadth and hight.
Hence it should be "E"


I agree, yet the official answer is A. These kind of pseudo-subjective questions that are open to interpretation are what scare me come test time. If I had the chance to explain my answers once the test was done, I could easily bump my score up 50 points. Any suggestions?
_________________

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math look exciting!!!

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1402

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 13:59
brokerbevo wrote:
vivektripathi wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
ans is A.

stat 1) vol = product of three sides , which is given in A.

stat 2) the third side is not given. can be anything.


No where it is mentioned that a, b and c are lenth. breadth and hight.
Hence it should be "E"


I agree, yet the official answer is A. These kind of pseudo-subjective questions that are open to interpretation are what scare me come test time. If I had the chance to explain my answers once the test was done, I could easily bump my score up 50 points. Any suggestions?



While I agree that the word cardboard box (rectangular box and not a cube because all sides are not equal) does not tell any thing about the sides ( about L B H), Is it possible for a rectangular box (with 6 sides) to have 6 different sides?? IMO, NO. The sides of a rectangular box are the same and when they sides a,b,c they are the L, B, H indeed.

The ambiguity comes down to whether we can imagine cardboard box as rectangular box or NO.

Thoughts Fellas??

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 08:19
I agree with icandy.

It is not mentioned whethere card box is rectangular box.

Otherwise. I will go with A. as abc = 12.
Whether a is length or height or depth. Does not make any difference in final volume.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Location: Chicago
Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 08:45
Twoone wrote:
I agree with icandy.

It is not mentioned whethere card box is rectangular box.

Otherwise. I will go with A. as abc = 12.
Whether a is length or height or depth. Does not make any difference in final volume.


But Stmt 1 states that abc = 12 This "could" mean that a and b are the length (a = 2 and b = 2) and c is the width (c = 3). In this case, we don't know the height (perhaps "d" or some other variable) so therefore, statement 1 does not give enough info. We can not assume that a, b and c give us different pieces of data (height, width and length) because 2 or more of them could give us the same piece of information.

Statement 2 is obviously not sufficient

When taken together, we still have the same issue: can not assume that a, b and c give us different segments of the box.

More comments welcome!!! :wink:
_________________

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math look exciting!!!

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 09:16
Thanks!!

I got it. :-D

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 11:11
My reading on such questions is that if it mentions sides as a,b,c, I will assume a, b and c represent three distinct values and for a rectangular box, sides cannot have more than three distinct values.

Hence, I will go with answer A.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Location: Chicago
Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 11:54
scthakur wrote:
My reading on such questions is that if it mentions sides as a,b,c, I will assume a, b and c represent three distinct values and for a rectangular box, sides cannot have more than three distinct values.

Hence, I will go with answer A.


I kind of see what you are saying. Could you please point out what is wrong with my make-shift diagram I put together, it might make more sense to me when viewed visually. Thanks!! :)
_________________

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math look exciting!!!

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2472

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 20:41
brokerbevo wrote:
What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and c?

1. \(a = \frac{12}{bc}\)

2. \(b = 3, c = 2\)

See attached for spoiler and a follow-up question



IMO, in case of ractangular/square/cube solid, always only 3 dimensions are given. when the question stem says sides a, b, and c they are different measurement of of length, bredth, and height.

No question asks to find the area or volume providing the measurements for all (six) sides. So the only thing that we need to make sure is whether the given solid is square or cube or rectangular.

However, I also agree that the question is definitely unclear.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 1953 [0], given: 6

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 21:08
brokerbevo wrote:
I agree, yet the official answer is A. These kind of pseudo-subjective questions that are open to interpretation are what scare me come test time. If I had the chance to explain my answers once the test was done, I could easily bump my score up 50 points.


Can you point out a single real GMAT question (from the OG, GMATPrep, or GMATFocus) that is ambiguous in its wording? GMAC spends $2400 designing each question in part to avoid any ambiguity; ambiguity eliminates any value a question might have on the GMAT, because an ambiguous question won't be answered much better by good test takers than by bad ones. So an ambiguous question does not give much information about your ability, and is essentially useless in helping to determine your score. If you did see a truly ambiguous question on your real GMAT (though I can assure you that you won't), it could only be a diagnostic question, because any ambiguously worded question would be discarded once calibration data was collected on it- the question would not provide good data.

And while I get your point about the above question, I'd interpret it the same way as GMATTiger; the question appears to intend for a, b and c to represent the three different dimensions of the box. I can't imagine you'd see a real GMAT question with that exact wording, however.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1953 [0], given: 6

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 02:01
brokerbevo wrote:
scthakur wrote:
My reading on such questions is that if it mentions sides as a,b,c, I will assume a, b and c represent three distinct values and for a rectangular box, sides cannot have more than three distinct values.

Hence, I will go with answer A.


I kind of see what you are saying. Could you please point out what is wrong with my make-shift diagram I put together, it might make more sense to me when viewed visually. Thanks!! :)


In your first diagram, I will treat depth of diagram to be 2 (if length and width are 2 and 3 respectively).

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2472

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: Confused box [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 21:02
GMAT TIGER wrote:
brokerbevo wrote:
What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and c?

1. \(a = \frac{12}{bc}\)

2. \(b = 3, c = 2\)

See attached for spoiler and a follow-up question



IMO, in case of ractangular/square/cube solid, always only 3 dimensions are given. when the question stem says sides a, b, and c they are different measurement of of length, bredth, and height.

No question asks to find the area or volume providing the measurements for all (six) sides. So the only thing that we need to make sure is whether the given solid is square or cube or rectangular.

However, I also agree that the question is definitely unclear.


Having said all above, your argument would make more sense if the question asked to find the measurement of L, B and H.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: Confused box   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2008, 21:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.