Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32995 [6]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [2]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32995 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4469 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: When a new chain is installed on a competitive cyclist’s bicycle, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Sajjad1994 wrote:
kntombat wrote:
Sajjad1994, could you please post the official explanation for this question as and when possible, it would be a big help in understanding where did I go wrong the first time when I attempted the question.

Thank you.

Official Explanation

Any information that helps determine the actual cause of the immediate performance boost will help evaluate the researcher’s hypothesis. Of the five avenues of investigation listed, only choice (E) will yield this type of information. If it turns out that a new chain reduces gear friction, thereby allowing the cyclist to ride just as fast but with less effort, then this fact would help disprove the researcher’s hypothesis—especially if friction increases materially during the first three weeks of use.

The correct answer is (E).

I believe it's really important to understand to what degree the given answer choices help us to evaluate the argument, in this case, the hypothesis that "that installing a new component, such as a chain, gives a competitive cyclist a psychological boost, which helps motivate that cyclist during a race".

The answer choices A, B, C are not even in consideration.
For me it was straight D (if a competitive cyclist can tell merely by riding a bicycle whether it has a new chain or an older chain). However, even answer choice E also helps us to evaluate the hypothesis and therefore, both D and E are helping us to evaluate.

What choice is more helpful is a BIG question and in my experience, I haven't experienced such questions as official.

Will be keen to know Sajjad1994 opinion on why D can't be the answer or why E is better than D?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32995 [0]
Send PM
When a new chain is installed on a competitive cyclist’s bicycle, the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
In general CR questions we usually concentrate on the conclusion whether it is given in the stimulus or not. This is a conclusion question so we without any hesitation can concentrate on the conclusion and if we do so we will not be trapped by the option D. Option A, B and C are not even near to be considered so this is unfortunately not a quality question as compared to official CR questions. In official questions each option has equal respect and weight to be considered for the official answer and that's make the question harder.

Coming back to Option D and E, the word "psychological boost" in the stimulus forces us to consider option D as answer and I am agree it makes the option D a trap. If we write down or concentrate only on the conclusion of the argument only Option E is able to stand.

PS: In official questions all options seems to be related but unfortunately in this question the first three options are very different and not even near to the conclusion of the argument and this thing make this question a very ordinary third party question.

Reagrds
GMAT Club Bot
When a new chain is installed on a competitive cyclist’s bicycle, the [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts