Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 17:16 It is currently 03 May 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Whic B-schools should I apply for? [#permalink]
Hey happycamper - thanks for the additional details. We'll try to respond to what you've laid out here.

happycamper wrote:
I feel my GMAT score of 770 is the most outstanding feature of my entire profile. Hence, I want to which among the top B-Schools generally give the most weight to GMAT scores? This will help in determining which ones to apply for.

All the bschools give weight to the GMAT. A high score can't guarantee you'll get in but a low score can keep you out. You have a ticket to play the game with this 770 but that is the gist of it. It does help you stand out against the crowded field of other Indian applicants so that's good.

If you're flexible and you really really really want to go to bschool, then the lower-ranked schools are most likely to respond favorably to a high GMAT because it helps them improve in their rankings when their average student stats go up. Those are the only "B-Schools which generally tends to give more priority than other schools on GMAT scores." Obviously that's not what you want us to be saying; you seem to be looking for someone to tell you that "School X (aka HBS or some other amazing place) is going to snap you up with this GMAT score!" Sorry, no can do. It's appropriate for you to be aiming for the top since you have done a nice job on the test, but it's the whole package that will dictate your outcomes. We can't suggest any specific schools based on GMAT alone. It's one small factor in the entire proposition; you can't isolate things like that, it's misguided.

happycamper wrote:
As far as the rest of my profile is concerned, I am presenting the overview below.

There's a lot that's standard in the profile but a lot looks distinctive too. This is the right year for you to be applying based on your age and work experience. It's good that you've got these promotions and you have some nice projects under your belt. This is what you need to be emphasizing in your apps; this is what matters to the adcoms. This is where you need to be mining your material and looking for evidence to show how you're qualified. How you do that and what you present depends in large part on what school we're talking about.

The career goals are really the best way to select your schools. Lots of schools have specializations in energy, just as an example; MIT, Wharton, UT-Austin, Duke are some that come to mind, if that's the field you are focused on. But your goals need more work as a first step.

happycamper wrote:
Instead of consulting, I want to move into a general management role in energy/ manufacturing sectors. Consulting for me, based on my 5 years experience in this field, is too sales and market driven. General management role, on the other hand, allows to contribute more effectively to the organization's growth. If roles in general management is hard to come by, my second preference will more mainstream consultancy like business performance improvement advisory instead of a niche consultancy like the one in which I am involved

"General Management" is not a career goal. Energy and manufacturing are two different industries. You can only present one career path for most schools; those schools that even ask about the goals these days don't give you hardly any space to talk about it and you won't have the luxury of presenting this either/or situation. It's good to have a backup plan but you need to lock down on a more specific, explicit path than this. It appears that you have the right building blocks and we can see how your current consulting background can be the right setup for a number of different post-MBA paths but you will have the easiest time getting an offer at a great bschool if you do more work on these goals; it's the main thing that many schools evaluate and it's really important.

EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Whic B-schools should I apply for? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts