GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

     November 23, 2018

     November 23, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50712
Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 07:50
1
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:51) correct 25% (02:29) wrong based on 172 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17?

(i) 14,280
(ii) 85,689
(iii) 368,420

A. none
B. iii only
C. i and ii only
D. ii and iii only
E. i, ii, and iii


Kudos for a correct solution.

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7041
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 08:57
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17?

(i) 14,280
(ii) 85,689
(iii) 368,420

A. none
B. iii only
C. i and ii only
D. ii and iii only
E. i, ii, and iii


Kudos for a correct solution.


lets not think of 17 first.. the number has to be divisible by 8 and also 9.. lets see each number..
1)14280...number even and last three digits div by 8.. but sum of digits of number 15, so not div by 9...NO.
2)85689... number is not even.. no need to look any further... NO
3)368420..sum of digits 23, so not div by 9.. also 420 not div by 8.. NO

ans A none
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 21
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-05-2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 09:51
4
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17?

(i) 14,280
(ii) 85,689
(iii) 368,420

A. none
B. iii only
C. i and ii only
D. ii and iii only
E. i, ii, and iii


Kudos for a correct solution.


Seem's like a tricky question but I hope that I have been able to crack it. Here's my solution:

I think that the first 9 positive integers multiples of 17; which are (17)*1 + (17)*2...... + (17)*9 can be written as 17*(1 + 2..... + 9). This value can be simplified to 17*(45). Therefore the options (i), (ii) and (iii) need to be divisible by all the prime factors of (17)*(45) which can be broken down into (17)*(5)*(3)*(3). Using the factors 9 and 5. we can deduce (using divisibility rules) that option (ii) is not divisible by 5, and option's (i) and (iii) are not divisible by 9. Thus it seems like none of the answer choices are divisible by the the first 9 positive integer multiples of 17.

I think the answer is A.

Please consider giving me kudos, if you felt this post was helpful. Thanks. :)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7041
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 18:53
2
kdatt1991 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17?

(i) 14,280
(ii) 85,689
(iii) 368,420

A. none
B. iii only
C. i and ii only
D. ii and iii only
E. i, ii, and iii


Kudos for a correct solution.


Seem's like a tricky question but I hope that I have been able to crack it. Here's my solution:

I think that the first 9 positive integers multiples of 17; which are (17)*1 + (17)*2...... + (17)*9 can be written as 17*(1 + 2..... + 9). This value can be simplified to 17*(45). Therefore the options (i), (ii) and (iii) need to be divisible by all the prime factors of (17)*(45) which can be broken down into (17)*(5)*(3)*(3). Using the factors 9 and 5. we can deduce (using divisibility rules) that option (ii) is not divisible by 5, and option's (i) and (iii) are not divisible by 9. Thus it seems like none of the answer choices are divisible by the the first 9 positive integer multiples of 17.

I think the answer is A.

Please consider giving me kudos, if you felt this post was helpful. Thanks. :)


hi kdatt,
although the ans is correct, you have misunderstood the question because in some other values your answer would have been wrong..
the Q asks to check div by each of the first nine multiple integers of 17..
this means the value should be div by 17*1,17*2,17*3.....and 17*9..
it translates into the value to be div by each of 5,7,8,9 and 17....
but if we look at 17*45.. it means only by 5,9 and 17...
i hope it is clear...
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Posts: 213
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 02:44
1
Here we go -

17*1
17*2
17*3
17*4
17*5
17*6
17*7
17*8
17*9

So we need to find out...

Does the number in the options contain the following prime numbers with their powers?

17 * (2^7) * (3^4) * (5) * (7)

here's the easy way.. pick any anumber from above prime numbers and try to divide the numbers in the given options.

I picked 9.

Option 1 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT
Option 2 - Yes divisible by 9 ---> but we need to accomodate 3 to the power of 4--> again divide by 9--> not divisible ---> out
Option 3 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT


Hence option A is correct
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7041
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 03:07
DesiGmat wrote:
Here we go -

17*1
17*2
17*3
17*4
17*5
17*6
17*7
17*8
17*9

So we need to find out...

Does the number in the options contain the following prime numbers with their powers?

17 * (2^7) * (3^4) * (5) * (7)

here's the easy way.. pick any anumber from above prime numbers and try to divide the numbers in the given options.

I picked 9.

Option 1 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT
Option 2 - Yes divisible by 9 ---> but we need to accomodate 3 to the power of 4--> again divide by 9--> not divisible ---> out
Option 3 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT


Hence option A is correct


hi desigmat,
the Q does not ask if the number is div by product of first nine multiples of 17 but asks if the number is div by first nine multiples of 17.....
so we have to check the number separately for each of the multiples...
so option 2 is out because it is not even...
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Posts: 213
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 03:17
chetan2u wrote:
DesiGmat wrote:
Here we go -

17*1
17*2
17*3
17*4
17*5
17*6
17*7
17*8
17*9

So we need to find out...

Does the number in the options contain the following prime numbers with their powers?

17 * (2^7) * (3^4) * (5) * (7)

here's the easy way.. pick any anumber from above prime numbers and try to divide the numbers in the given options.

I picked 9.

Option 1 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT
Option 2 - Yes divisible by 9 ---> but we need to accomodate 3 to the power of 4--> again divide by 9--> not divisible ---> out
Option 3 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT


Hence option A is correct


hi desigmat,
the Q does not ask if the number is div by product of first nine multiples of 17 but asks if the number is div by first nine multiples of 17.....
so we have to check the number separately for each of the multiples...
so option 2 is out because it is not even...




hi chetan2u,

That is what I listed...

17*2 will be the first multiple of 17 and hence forth.

A number to be divisible by all the nine positive integer multiples of 17 has to contain minimum of 2^7, 3^4, 5, 7 and 17.

Can you tell me the first number/lowest number that will be divisible by all the nine positive integer multiples of 17?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50712
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 04:16
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17?

(i) 14,280
(ii) 85,689
(iii) 368,420

A. none
B. iii only
C. i and ii only
D. ii and iii only
E. i, ii, and iii


Kudos for a correct solution.


VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Solution: A.

For a number to be divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17, it must be divisible by 2 * 17, 3 * 17, 4 * 17 … 9 * 17, or by 17 and every integer from 1 through 9. (ii) is not even, so it must not be divisible by 2 and is therefore out. Neither (i) nor (iii) have digits that sum to 9, so neither result can be divisible by 9 and none of the results is divisible by all of the first nine positive integers; (A)
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 21
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-05-2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 05:03
chetan2u wrote:
kdatt1991 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer multiples of 17?

(i) 14,280
(ii) 85,689
(iii) 368,420

A. none
B. iii only
C. i and ii only
D. ii and iii only
E. i, ii, and iii


Kudos for a correct solution.


Seem's like a tricky question but I hope that I have been able to crack it. Here's my solution:

I think that the first 9 positive integers multiples of 17; which are (17)*1 + (17)*2...... + (17)*9 can be written as 17*(1 + 2..... + 9). This value can be simplified to 17*(45). Therefore the options (i), (ii) and (iii) need to be divisible by all the prime factors of (17)*(45) which can be broken down into (17)*(5)*(3)*(3). Using the factors 9 and 5. we can deduce (using divisibility rules) that option (ii) is not divisible by 5, and option's (i) and (iii) are not divisible by 9. Thus it seems like none of the answer choices are divisible by the the first 9 positive integer multiples of 17.

I think the answer is A.

Please consider giving me kudos, if you felt this post was helpful. Thanks. :)


hi kdatt,
although the ans is correct, you have misunderstood the question because in some other values your answer would have been wrong..
the Q asks to check div by each of the first nine multiple integers of 17..
this means the value should be div by 17*1,17*2,17*3.....and 17*9..
it translates into the value to be div by each of 5,7,8,9 and 17....
but if we look at 17*45.. it means only by 5,9 and 17...
i hope it is clear...


Hi chetan2u,
Thanks for pointing that out to me. Seems like I need to practise on reading the questions more carefully!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7041
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 05:20
DesiGmat wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
DesiGmat wrote:
Here we go -

17*1
17*2
17*3
17*4
17*5
17*6
17*7
17*8
17*9

So we need to find out...

Does the number in the options contain the following prime numbers with their powers?

17 * (2^7) * (3^4) * (5) * (7)

here's the easy way.. pick any anumber from above prime numbers and try to divide the numbers in the given options.

I picked 9.

Option 1 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT
Option 2 - Yes divisible by 9 ---> but we need to accomodate 3 to the power of 4--> again divide by 9--> not divisible ---> out
Option 3 - not divisible by 9 ---OUT


Hence option A is correct


hi desigmat,
the Q does not ask if the number is div by product of first nine multiples of 17 but asks if the number is div by first nine multiples of 17.....
so we have to check the number separately for each of the multiples...
so option 2 is out because it is not even...




hi chetan2u,

That is what I listed...

17*2 will be the first multiple of 17 and hence forth.

A number to be divisible by all the nine positive integer multiples of 17 has to contain minimum of 2^7, 3^4, 5, 7 and 17.

Can you tell me the first number/lowest number that will be divisible by all the nine positive integer multiples of 17?


hi desigmat,
why 2^7..
highest power of 2 in first nine integers is 8, which is 2^3...
highest power of 3 is 3^2 or 9.... u cant have 3^4..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8869
Premium Member
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 09:17
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 09:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Which of the following is divisible by the first nine positive integer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.