GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 11:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:05) correct 30% (01:25) wrong based on 453 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact laws, their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they exercised considerable influence.

(A) their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they
(B) its decrees generally were obeyed as if to be law, and through these it
(C) their decrees, generally obeyed as law, through it they
(D) its decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them it
(E) their decrees were generally obeyed as was the law, and through it they

The original in this sentence is loaded with pronoun problems. Do you see them all? Here's a blog that discusses the major pronoun problems in GMAT SC questions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/
You will find a full explanation of the question there.

Experts: anything you would like to add about pronouns and typical pronoun mistakes on the GMAT SC?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 11:19
Hi mike,

even though I picked D,I have a question about "like": "like" should express comparisons and not express function (this is the case IMO), am I wrong?
Thanks

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Re: While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 11:42
Zarrolou wrote:
Hi mike,

even though I picked D,I have a question about "like": "like" should express comparisons and not express function (this is the case IMO), am I wrong?
Thanks

"like" in this case is actually expressing comparison.... Comparison between decrees and law....
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 11:49
While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact laws, their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they exercised considerable influence.
(A) their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they Senate on a whole is one body, so use singular pronoun
(B) its decrees generally were obeyed as if to be law, and through these it We are comparing decrees to law; we are not saying decress is law. Also wordy construction
(C) their decrees, generally obeyed as law, through it they pronoun error again as in A
(D) its(Senate) decrees generally were obeyed like law (Comparison between nouns decrees and law), and through them (decrees which is plural) it (Senate)
(E) their decrees were generally obeyed as was the law, and through it they pronoun error, wordy, ambiquity

Answer D
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2014, 11:27
mikemcgarry wrote:
(A) their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they
(C) their decrees, generally obeyed as law, through it they
(E) their decrees were generally obeyed as was the law, and through it they

The original in this sentence is loaded with pronoun problems. Do you see them all? Here's a blog that discusses the major pronoun problems in GMAT SC questions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/
You will find a full explanation of the question there.

Experts: anything you would like to add about pronouns and typical pronoun mistakes on the GMAT SC?

Mike In this sentence should'nt have be replaced with has. : While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have/has the power to enact laws, their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they exercised considerable influence.

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2014, 11:59
282552 wrote:
Mike In this sentence should'nt have be replaced with has. : While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have/has the power to enact laws, their decrees generally were obeyed like law, and through them they exercised considerable influence.

Dear 282552,
This is a funny point of English grammar. When the verb "to have" is use with an auxiliary verb, it always appears in its infinitive form, which is identical to the plural.

Without auxiliary verb:
he has (singular form)
they have (plural form)

he doesn't have ("do" in singular form, "have" in infinitive form)
they don't have ("do" in plural form, "have" in infinitive form)

You can see more about auxiliary verbs here:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/auxiliary- ... -the-gmat/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 12:52
please explain this ..Why D not A

Keep pushing your limits

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 14:38
Hi mikemcgarry

Does only the difference in second parts make options correct/incorrect (because we have to refer to the object with whom/them)?

As I understand that in B "as if [decrees were] to be law" is the subjunctive + ellipsis, and is legit itself?

Thanks.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 01:37

Official Explanation

Split #1: the Senate of the Roman Republic is a collective noun. Yes, it had many members, but like all collective nouns, it is singular. It would take a singular verb in the present tense, and it demands a singular pronoun --- "it" and "its". Choices (A) & (C) & (E) make the mistake of using the plural pronouns, "they" and their", so these are wrong. Choice (A) compounds the mistake with the phrase "through them they …", using the same pronoun with two different antecedents.

Split #2: The word "decrees" is plural and demands the plural pronoun. (C) & (E) make the additional mistake of referring to "decrees" with the singular pronouns.

Split #3: the comparison. We are comparing the subject to subject, noun to noun, so the word "like" is perfectly acceptable ---- "decrees …. like laws". This is what (A) & (D) have. If we use the word "as", we need a whole phrase --- the construction "as was the law" in (E) is acceptable but wordy. The "as" + [noun] construction of (C), "as law", is not favored by the GMAT. Choice (B) has the atrocious "as if to be law" --- wordy, tentative, hypothetical, and grammatically incorrect: take that out back and shoot it!

The only possible answer is (D).

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

GMAT Club Bot
Re: While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact &nbs [#permalink] 25 Aug 2018, 01:37

While the Senate of the Roman Republic did not have the power to enact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap