Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

With markets in turmoil, will the number of applicants to b-schools grow this year?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Will competition at top schools heat up this year? [#permalink]
It's also possible that strong candidates will be less inclined to leave their present employers and risk a fresh job search post-MBA in a weak job market.
Unlike the 2008 period, there aren't (many) mass lay-offs occurring right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
LionsSBC12 wrote:
Unlike the 2008 period, there aren't (many) mass lay-offs occurring right now.

Knock on wood. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
mbain2012a wrote:
From an admissions competition perspective my thoughts:
-Higher average GMATs/GPAs in applicant pool because of younger applicant pool, increased pressure to get into top programs, academics more fresh in mind...
-Decreased overall quality of work experience in applicant pool, however, I believe having standout work experience is an extra plus these days due to the increased competitiveness of the job market

I agree about the ever increasing exam scores in the competitive pool at top schools, although there is little incremental value in going above 700 on GMAT, i.e. it does not really matter if you have 710 or 750.

Second point: what would contribute to a decrease in quality of work experience?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The number of applicants probably won't increase this year. You really can't "escape" a recession. Even if you get admitted to an MBA program, the lack of internship prospects would hurt your chances of getting the FT job that you want. You're also under the pressure to find a job, any job, to cover the tuition fees, living expenses and opportunity costs when you're pursuing the MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Also, there is a time lag. If you weren't planning to apply, and then decided today that B-school is looking like a good idea, you'd be hard-pressed to start now, take the GMAT, get your recs and transcripts together, write your essays etc in time for 2012 matriculation. MBA apps are a trailing indicator in that sense; all the buzz right now about a double-dip recession should be associated with higher competition next year, if anything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
JoelCairo wrote:
Also, there is a time lag. If you weren't planning to apply, and then decided today that B-school is looking like a good idea, you'd be hard-pressed to start now, take the GMAT, get your recs and transcripts together, write your essays etc in time for 2012 matriculation. MBA apps are a trailing indicator in that sense; all the buzz right now about a double-dip recession should be associated with higher competition next year, if anything.

The double dip recession really makes me worry about internship opportunities if admitted this year for next fall. It could land right when students are applying for summer associate positions..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Second point: what would contribute to a decrease in quality of work experience?[/quote]

I'm assuming this because in large part during the last few years top employers have limited their hiring and university recruiting. This has especially hit undergraduates hard that have graduated 3 years ago or so, who will make up a very large chunk of the applicant pool.

I guess I didn't necessarily mean a decrease in quality of work experience, rather, a wider variety of work experience. Many graduates that normally would have taken a high profile, well known banking job in normal conditions might have been forced to take another lesser known route. I believe it should carry a little more weight these days to come from a top notch employer due to the increased selectivity of these positions at this time...but decreased quality was probably not the best choice of words.
GMAT Club Bot