It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 12:14
I think that the entire phrase "but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes" acts as a modifier for the subject Cleveland; therefore, Cleveland is the subject of the restrictive clause.

Answer: B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Breezy1122 wrote:
I think that the entire phrase "but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes" acts as a modifier for the subject Cleveland; therefore, Cleveland is the subject of the restrictive clause.

I am torn bw b and e but more leaning towards B for the explanation quoted.
My only question is if we take out the restrictive clause, we have "Cleveland is one that is looking out .....".

Does this makes sense grammatically?

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 08:59
Cathy8630 wrote:
Breezy1122 wrote:

I am torn bw b and e but more leaning towards B for the explanation quoted.
My only question is if we take out the restrictive clause, we have "Cleveland is one that is looking out .....".

Does this makes sense grammatically?

Based on what I got from Manhattan, I thought the noun in the "of" phrase (object of the preposition) determines whether to use a singular or plural verb. None of the garbage was picked up vs None of the sentences were punctuated correctly.

So I don't think you can remove "one of a large number of communities..."
But I may be wrong. What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 09:22
jitgoel wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Can you please post the OA and Official Explanation?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1192 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In this question, we want 'looking to', as the cities are looking to their waterfronts to help out (the cities are not literally viewing their waterfronts, the way 'looking at' implies). So we can get rid of (B) and (E). Next, we have 'but one...large number...communities that'. Because the relative clause is modifying communities, we want the plural form, 'are' and the plural pronoun 'their', which leaves us with (C).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1192 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 23

GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 04:52
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

we need plural verb here so A and B ruled out

in C,D and E
'D' is out same pronoun agreement 'its'

in C and E
in E
<== A large number of communities are looking to their waterfront as way they can improve.....
E implies ==> just by looking at waterfront they can improve.........

Only C is correct

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 05:41
I have got this question wrong. Can anyone please explain what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'that' in this sentence?
I am really confused with this sentence.

Quote:

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 06:12
premnath wrote:
I have got this question wrong. Can anyone please explain what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'that' in this sentence?
I am really confused with this sentence.

Quote:

A large number of communities

In S-V agreement in "A large number of X"

look at 'X' whether its singular and plural and accordingly use singular and plural verb.
here "A large number of communities" <== needs plural verb.

Another way is which i use:-

A large number of communities....................are looking....(skip in between stuff and read the sentence whether its making sense)
maybe you have mistaken 'Cleveland' as subject if i am not wrong?
if you have then apply same rule.
Cleveland......are looking....<== these implication does not make sense.

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 29

Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 06:21
ChrisLele wrote:
In this question, we want 'looking to', as the cities are looking to their waterfronts to help out (the cities are not literally viewing their waterfronts, the way 'looking at' implies). So we can get rid of (B) and (E). Next, we have 'but one...large number...communities that'. Because the relative clause is modifying communities, we want the plural form, 'are' and the plural pronoun 'their', which leaves us with (C).

suppose i have no clue about the correct idiom,How to ensure that relative clause "that" is modifying communities not Cleveland

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2013, 23:37
Although the answer is C, what about option E

Is this incorrect because it is a run-on sentence. Or whether it has an issue with using "as a way"

Experts ,please comment...

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 57

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 00:47
btg9788 wrote:
Although the answer is C, what about option E

Is this incorrect because it is a run-on sentence. Or whether it has an issue with using "as a way"

Experts ,please comment...

Hi btg9788

E has two problems:

(1) Idiom "as a way".
The correct usage are "as a way to do some thing" or "as a way of doing something"
However, E uses "as a way they can ....." that is not idiomatic.

(2) "Look at" vs "Look to"

"Looking at" is a physical action. For example, I'm looking at you.
So, "look at their waterfront as a way" is not correct. You cannot physically look at something as a way to do something.

"Look to" means "expect to get help" or "hope". So, it conveys correct meaning.
For example: He looks to me to help improve his company sales figures. ==> He hopes I can help him improve his company sales.

C is correct. The structure is "looking to X to do Y.....and do Z..."

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 123

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 670 [4], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Subject/Verb agreement: subject-verb-agreement-159965.html
Questions on Subject/Verb agreement to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=131

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 670 [4], given: 80

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 03:11

"is but one" implies that it is part, but not all of the communities, so it is plural. We can discard A+B on this basis. The possesive pronoun must be "their" (plural) not it's (singular) so we can disgard D.

Chosing between C and E: In E what is the antecendant of "they" communties or waterfronts. So the only answer left is C

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2014, 23:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Among so many rules for S-V , this sentence is exception

When discussing fractions or percentages, always get the verb to agree with the subject after the preposition. This is an exception to the preposition rule discussed earlier.
e.g. Half of the money is stolen
e.g. Half of the books are stolen

Hope it helps :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 66

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16300 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 02:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
B. is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
C. are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
D. are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
E. are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: C

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Last edited by Vyshak on 29 Jun 2016, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA

Kudos [?]: 16300 [0], given: 1953

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
C looks good,
Cleveland is but one of a "large number of communities" so we use "are".
are looking to x to improve a and b.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 04:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Option D is correct: "....communities that are looking to its (Great lake`s) waterland... ".
"Look to" - means take interest in something. So, use of "to" after look is correct.

One question: does GMAT asks questions based on phrasal verbs?? Those questions could be difficult and confusing.

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1814 [2], given: 229

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS

A. is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Subject - Verb error.
B. is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Subject verb error.
C. are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Right answer.
D. are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting --- pronoun its is not right.
E. are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract --- looking at changes meaning-- rest of the sentence is wordy.

looking to VS looking at.
looking to implies look forward in metaphorical sense.
looking at implies looking literally at something.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1814 [2], given: 229

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 08:55
PiyushK wrote:

A. is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Subject - Verb error.
B. is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Subject verb error.
C. are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Right answer.
D. are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting --- pronoun its is not right.
E. are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract --- looking at changes meaning-- rest of the sentence is wordy.

looking to VS looking at.
looking to implies look forward in metaphorical sense.
looking at implies looking literally at something.

Thank you for the explanation, but i have a doubt.
Why "its" in option D cant refer Great Lakes (a place) ? Kindly reply.

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1814 [0], given: 229

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 09:17
aniteshgmat1101 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation, but i have a doubt.

Why "its" in option D cant refer Great Lakes (a place) ? Kindly reply.

Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that are looking to its waterfront.

D implies that all these communities are looking at Cleveland's waterfront, but desired meaning is their respective waterfront. That's the reason its in D is not right.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1814 [0], given: 229

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2014, 09:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap