Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
I seriously though Columbia's 750 words were plenty to play with... I'm touching about 790 on my final version.

I only spent about a brief paragraph on my past history, and all the rest of it on what i want to do, and why columbia...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
I seriously though Columbia's 750 words were plenty to play with... I'm touching about 790 on my final version.

I only spent about a brief paragraph on my past history, and all the rest of it on what i want to do, and why columbia...

Goals + Why MBA + Why Columbia = 850 words for my essay.

After including the past history total essay = 1150
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
@ bsd_lover & adc_away

How about Columbia Essay # 2? For that essay it is the other way round for me. I have less words and more limit :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Including a quotation from Glenn Hubbard, I'm hitting about 540.. 560 words... I was told to include the quotation because the question specifically mentions it... I'm still on the fence on that one though.

Did you include a quotation?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
Including a quotation from Glenn Hubbard, I'm hitting about 540.. 560 words... I was told to include the quotation because the question specifically mentions it... I'm still on the fence on that one though.

Did you include a quotation?

A lot of forum members said here not to use any quotation. Perhaps you can use extra words in your intro instead of the quotation.

My 2 cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's what I thought too. But the essay specifically references the speech.

Can anybody advise on this please?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Unlike you ED guys, I am targeting J-Term. Essay 2 is slightly different for me. Its about Leadership - a manager that I have observed .... My current essay is 530 odd words long.

Perhaps the worst one is the Essay 4. The one about my passion in 250 words. If I could write about it in 250 words, just how passionate am I about it ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the passion essay is like the infamous dot com elevator ride presentation... if you can't sell your idea by the time it takes tshe VC to ride up to his office, it's not going to happen....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, from the looks of it, the Columbia essay doesn't explicitly ask you to answer "How do your professional experiences relate to these goals?"

So while I'm not going to describe my past experiences, there needs to be at least a paragraph talking about what professional experiences I had that led me to my career goals. I think I may be able to do it after re-reading Stacy Blackman's tips... talk about what I learned from my past experiences that leads me to the goals... do NOT talk about your career and what you did, even if it's a vivid and colorful description.

BTW, I'm using a quote from a friend, and I explicitly call it a "matter-of-fact" quote and why I included it as to not sound cliche.

After some tweaking, here are my word counts:

Intro: 116 words

Long + Short Term Goal: 233 words - being very specific, listing names of possible companies, job titles, and what I will do for them to lead me to my long term goal...

Career Progression/Why Now: Now I have 301 words to work with...

Why Berkeley Part: 229 words

Conclusion: 121 words...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Passion seems to be the new buzz word in applications, it was ethics for a few years. I like the idea of it since people that are sucessful in their careers generally have a passion for what they do. The more you love what you do the more you put into it and the more you accomplish.

I know some people here are going to school to find their calling and to get a job that they find more rewarding (overwhelmingly this seems to be an engineers reason). If thats why you want to go back, sell the adcoms on that reason. I think that reason for wanting an MBA is something would win over an adcoms any day over someone who just wants to have a seven figure job in 10 years.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
you hit the nail right on the head riverripper! Yes, after introspection and writing these essays, that is exactly why I want to switch jobs. I've exhausted all the possible positions that I would enjoy at my company, even as a business development person, and realized that the root problem is in the industry I'm in, not what I'm doing.

I'll spend more time talking about my passion and what industries I want to work in for my essays... hopefully that will shine through!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My goals essay at schools is pretty much my passion essay...my future career goal to me is more about the impact I hope to make on the world around me than what I want to do for myself (ie, big salary and fancy title). Obviously if you attain the fancy title you can accomplish more so that plays a role. The hard thing is my passion is something someone may not agree with, its based on a relatively polarizing topic so I am hoping personal opinions are kept at bay.

The personal opinions of those reviewing your essays is one reason to be cautious about belittling your past industry because you never know who is going to read that. If a student whose career goal is that industry or someone whose wife/husband runs a company in that industry is on the committee and reads it that may immediately be a strike against you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
good point about the negative stuff... I'll keep it at a very "professional" level of discussion then.

my future career goal is more about enjoying what I'm doing, and hoping to make an good impact for the society (through technology conveniences). Might not be as altruistic as a non-profit, but I think it's still not as superficial as just the salary and title. :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]