Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:57 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Would appreciate guidance on my GMAT journey [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:
Thank you very much for your input. I started to consider the Focus particularly due to the shortage of time hence why it is one of my questions. I think Quant can for sure be practiced into oblivion, but where could you suggest I find adequate freely available Verbal theology? I think Ive paid enough for TTP and would prefer anything freely available.

Sure. I think Manhattan verbal book is a great source of verbal wisdom and strategies. You can get used books or a new copy of the verbal book. If you get them used, you can get away with spending 20 or 30 bucks both books of the older edition or just a verbal one of the newer edition. You can get either of those. Another option would be power score books but those would be my second choice.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
which is why I didnt take the break after Quant

If you're thinking of retaking, consider taking any available breaks during your next attempt. Might also be worth checking out the Share GMAT Experience subforum to see what others who have done/used to improve their scores. If you share your ESR data here (after wiping any personal info), people may provide some specific suggestions as well.

How to score high on the GMAT. Why solving approach is important.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [2]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:
Thank you very much for your input. I started to consider the Focus particularly due to the shortage of time hence why it is one of my questions. I think Quant can for sure be practiced into oblivion, but where could you suggest I find adequate freely available Verbal theology? I think Ive paid enough for TTP and would prefer anything freely available.

Hi zoonar,

You'll find free verbal theory sessions here: LINK.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64977 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:

GMAT Focus will be a good option for you since you are looking for a 70-80 point jump. That will likely take more than a month.
All my content - Quant, Verbal and Data Insights is free for these 5 days of festivities - starting today till 30th Dec. You can check it out without paying anything by simply registering on my website https://anaprep.com (no credit card info needed)
You can focus on the CR and RC content in these 5 days. Also check out my Quant videos of the topics in which you are uncertain.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for the input, given the nature of the GMAT Focus, I suppose I should skip any mentions of SC in the aforementioned suggestions; would that be a fair assessment?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
zoonar wrote:

GMAT Focus will be a good option for you since you are looking for a 70-80 point jump. That will likely take more than a month.
All my content - Quant, Verbal and Data Insights is free for these 5 days of festivities - starting today till 30th Dec. You can check it out without paying anything by simply registering on my website URL
You can focus on the CR and RC content in these 5 days. Also check out my Quant videos of the topics in which you are uncertain.

Thanks! I'll check it out!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would appreciate guidance on my GMAT journey [#permalink]
I got my 3rd ESR finally available and I attached it to the original post. It seems that my RC suffered greatly, and I can tell it was because of overwhelming focus on CR and SC with which I felt the most room to grow. I did practice some RC in the last couple of weeks leading up to the test and felt comfortable.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:
I got my 3rd ESR finally available and I attached it to the original post. It seems that my RC suffered greatly, and I can tell it was because of overwhelming focus on CR and SC with which I felt the most room to grow. I did practice some RC in the last couple of weeks leading up to the test and felt comfortable.

Hi zoonar,

Do you want to consider going ahead with your applications (with your 660), without retaking the GMAT? Also, although you could take either the previous version of the GMAT or the Focus edition, or both, which one works better for you given the burnout you mentioned and your deadlines?

1. Try to figure out why your quant score dropped from Q50 to Q43/Q45. This is a major drop, and shouldn't normally happen.

2. You should take one of the official Focus practice tests (maybe after prepping a bit for DI). This is because although the Focus edition doesn't have SC, it does make DI (~IR) part of the main score.

3. If you decide to go ahead with the previous version of the GMAT, you may want to work on reducing your average response time in SC. 1:52 is fine if it didn't affect your accuracy in CR and RC, but if it did, you could try to bring it down. My default recommendation is 60-80s.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I can afford to defer another year if I'd like. Personally, everything depends on the GMAT score if I apply to schools or not. Therefore, I will not be applying to schools in this upcoming season with these scores at least.

I honestly do not know why my Quant dropped so much; I feel that with this latest round of prep I solved much harder problems correctly and more problems consistently than I did when I was prepping before the first exam. The exam questions seem like they got more difficult the more times I took the exam.

I'd like to think this last test was a fluke and want to take the test again since I know I can do better, but I'm starting to think maybe spending a more concerted time with the GFE is a better investment of my time for the next 2 months.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:
I can afford to defer another year if I'd like. Personally, everything depends on the GMAT score if I apply to schools or not. Therefore, I will not be applying to schools in this upcoming season with these scores at least.

I honestly do not know why my Quant dropped so much; I feel that with this latest round of prep I solved much harder problems correctly and more problems consistently than I did when I was prepping before the first exam. The exam questions seem like they got more difficult the more times I took the exam.

I'd like to think this last test was a fluke and want to take the test again since I know I can do better, but I'm starting to think maybe spending a more concerted time with the GFE is a better investment of my time for the next 2 months.

I agree that GFE may be the move for you. Why don't you take a practice focus exam to see where you stand?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64977 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:

Makes sense. Rather than taking another attempt in a hurry, use a 12 week study plan to strengthen your concepts further and then take GMAT Focus. Fix all the gaps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoonar wrote:

I normally don't recommend making everything contingent on getting a specific GMAT score. However, if you're absolutely sure that you'll be applying next cycle, the Focus edition is a better option.

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
zoonar wrote:

I normally don't recommend making everything contingent on getting a specific GMAT score. However, if you're absolutely sure that you'll be applying next cycle, the Focus edition is a better option.

All the best.

Considering I'd like to apply to top 10 to align with my career ambitions, I think the score must come with the territory. I will study up a bit more to sharpen my Quant/RC/CR and learn about Data Insights section before taking a practice test and going further. You all have been a great help so far!
GMAT Club Bot