Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Yo-yo Ma, whom according to the classical cellists of the world is per [#permalink]
Kudos
sid0791 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
aniket16c wrote:
Dear Experts,
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo MikeScarn mikemcgarry

I would appreciate your help in clearing some doubts:
1. In option B, as per my understanding which refers to "versatile style". If that is true how can " a style" employ difference aspects of genres. Nonetheless use of "which" does create a confusion.
2. If above factor is taken into consideration then, isn't option C pretty clear from meaning perspective? In such a case, the use of "yet" can be overlooked.

Thank you.

Option (C) says that he is considered the best cellist of the classical world. All other options just say that he is the best cellist. Do we intend to say that he is the best of the classical world? Not sure considering he employed aspects of modern minimalism too. Also, "yet" is a problem. Hence, I wouldn't go with (C).

VeritasKarishma

Hi,

I agree that style can be influenced by different aspects of genres.
But in B, doesn't it sound like style IS influencing different aspects of genes. According to B "versatile style, which at the same time employs..."
How a style can employs?*
It can be influenced by something but it cannot do something itself.

Although there are errors in other options as well, but B also doesn't seem right, if we go by the meaning approach.

Please help in this

A style can definitely employ other things. example - This style of dancing employs a mix of Indian, Western and Pop culture. Here employ means to make use of something so it should be completely fine for a style to make use of a few other things. It might not make perfect sense but it is definitely possible.

Hope this helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Yo-yo Ma, whom according to the classical cellists of the world is per [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sid0791 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
aniket16c wrote:
Dear Experts,
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo MikeScarn mikemcgarry

I would appreciate your help in clearing some doubts:
1. In option B, as per my understanding which refers to "versatile style". If that is true how can " a style" employ difference aspects of genres. Nonetheless use of "which" does create a confusion.
2. If above factor is taken into consideration then, isn't option C pretty clear from meaning perspective? In such a case, the use of "yet" can be overlooked.

Thank you.

A style can be influenced by different aspects of genres. No issues there.

Option (C) says that he is considered the best cellist of the classical world. All other options just say that he is the best cellist. Do we intend to say that he is the best of the classical world? Not sure considering he employed aspects of modern minimalism too. Also, "yet" is a problem. Hence, I wouldn't go with (C).

VeritasKarishma

Hi,

I agree that style can be influenced by different aspects of genres.
But in B, doesn't it sound like style IS influencing different aspects of genes. According to B "versatile style, which at the same time employs..."
How a style can employs?*
It can be influenced by something but it cannot do something itself.

Although there are errors in other options as well, but B also doesn't seem right, if we go by the meaning approach.

Please help in this

The highlighted is not correct. The style is using aspects of different genres, not influencing the genres.

"style, which employs aspects of different genres" means that he played in a versatile style, a style that used some aspects of different genres.
Note that versatile means variable/changeable. So he played in a versatile style and used aspects from different genres.
A style can be influenced by different genres. We can say that the style uses/employs aspects of different genres.
So (B) is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:

A style can definitely employ other things. example - This style of dancing employs a mix of Indian, Western and Pop culture. Here employ means to make use of something so it should be completely fine for a style to make use of a few other things. It might not make perfect sense but it is definitely possible.

Hope this helps!

Yes, this helps.

Thanks a lot.
:)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Yo-yo Ma, whom according to the classical cellists of the world is per [#permalink]
Does anyone else have an issue with the which in B? I saw the flaw with yet in C but had to pick that because of the misuse of which in the prior sentence.

Posted from my mobile device

Edit saw the posts above. Looks like this question is about picking the sentence that's the smallest offender.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts