It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only these two exams make up your final grade of 92. How heavily did your teacher weigh the final exam?

The formula for weighted average is (Component 1)(Weighing 1) + (Component 2)(Weighing 2). I am not sure if we can use this to solve the question. The only method discussed in the prep book is the "teeter-totter" method. I believe it would be hard to use this method on the GMAT, given the time constraints. Thank you for your help. The answer is 60%.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 398 [1], given: 640

Re: You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Rorschach1337 wrote:
Is there a way to solve this problem using algebra:

"You score 80 on your mid term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only these two exams make up your final grade of 92. How heavily did your teacher weigh the final exam?"

The formula for weighted average is (Component 1)(Weighing 1) + (Component 2)(Weighing 2). I am not sure if we can use this to solve the question. The only method discussed in the prep book is the "teeter-totter" method. I believe it would be hard to use this method on the GMAT, given the time constraints. Thank you for your help. The answer is 60%.

Rorschach1337 - I cannot figure out which method you think would be hard. Teeter-totter? Regular weighted?

Well, if the teeter-totter method is anything like alligation or the scale method, I cannot help you. They both make me crazy.

But I think weighted average is perfect for this question.

If each counted 50 percent, the average would be \(\frac{80(.5) + 100(.5)}{2} = (40 + 50) = 90\)

Because the average is not dead-center (halfway between one score and another), the final exam must count more in the score's total.

You have two differently weighted quantities that contribute to an overall average, for a weighted average where the final exam "weighs" more than the midterm.

I think I use your formula (I'm not sure what "component 1" means). It will work. I would guess the highlighted part is a potential stumbling block.

On one hand, first you sum the two weighted quantities to the overall score (92) times the overall weight (x + y)

On the other hand, once you have a variable with a value in hand, they sum to 100.

Here is one iteration of the formula I use (sometimes I use "concentration" or "percent" where you see "Weight).

(Weight of A)(Quantity of A) + (Weight of B)(Quantity of B) = (Weight of A + B) (Quantity of A + B)

Let x = the weight of the mid term exam
Let y = the weight of the final exam

\(80x + 100y = 92(x + y)\)

\(80x + 100y = 92x + 92y\)

\(8y = 12x\)

\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{2}{3}\)

We want the weight of \(y\), the final exam. Solve for \(y\)

\(x + y = 100\)

\(x = \frac{2}{3} y\)

\(\frac{2}{3 y} + y = 100\)

\(2y + 3y = 300\)

\(5y = 300\)

\(y = 60\)

You could also notice that

\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{2}{3}\) means \(x:y = 2:3\). There are five parts total in that ratio. \(y\) is three of the five.

\(y = \frac{3}{5} = \frac{60}{100} = 60\) Percent

Hope it helps!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 4

Re: You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
genxer123 thank you very much for the quick reply. This makes everything so much easier. Earlier, I was referring to the Teeter-totter method being a little too difficult to use on the GMAT, given that you not only have to create the visual but also compute the values. Therefore, I was looking for a way to solve this using algebra but I could not figure it out. I appreciate that you went into great detail as well as helping me visualize it further with the ratio method. Thanks again, cheers.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
Rorschach1337 wrote:
genxer123 thank you very much for the quick reply. This makes everything so much easier. Earlier, I was referring to the Teeter-totter method being a little too difficult to use on the GMAT, given that you not only have to create the visual but also compute the values. Therefore, I was looking for a way to solve this using algebra but I could not figure it out. I appreciate that you went into great detail as well as helping me visualize it further with the ratio method. Thanks again, cheers.

My pleasure. That question is a bit tricky. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the teeter-totter method can be cumbersome. (Maybe not if you get really fluent in it. I am not fluent in it!). :-)

You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 02:45

You score 80 on your mid-term exam and 100 on your final exam. Only

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap