Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 07:53 It is currently 02 May 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
[#permalink]
Hello Hjort,
Thanks for the review

scjp
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
According to the Emory website:

"goy-SWET-uh"

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks hjort for the clarification iguess i missed that infor on the website. there is a nice discussion about emory vs. unc @ businessweek.com b-school forums. all interested in emory need to check it out, first year studens and applicants express and share their opinion of the school.

cheerz
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
FT 2005 places Emory #27 worldwide- just below UCLA and higher than Carnegie Mellon and USC. FT 2003 ranked Emory #29- just ahead of Texas-Austin and USC (Marshall).

EIU 2004 places Emory #33 worldwide- ahead of UNC and Texas-Austin.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Value Considerations

Estimated Total Outay at List Price: 104 k (for two year program)

https://goizueta.emory.edu/degree/twoyea ... ition.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was curious how the one year mba at Emory compares to the 2 year program here and also with the Cornell one year, especially in terms of career services and industry perception?

Sorry for posting it as a seprate thread earlier!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cornell is part of a higher admissions cluster so would generally be considered the school with the higher reputation. I would look at the Emory website for a description of how the 1 year and 2 year programs compare and contrast.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,

I am quite interested in emory. However I am wondering if it is too much of a "woman-oriented" place.

The story started thus. I signed up to recieve a brochure at which point I mentioned that my gender was female. Few weeks later, I received a 30 page brochure. Every page had the picture of a woman - some students; some teachers; some spouses - but all of them women. It really did freak me out. The only man on the brouchure was Goizueta himself. [ I showed this to one male friend - and now he says he will sign up for the college. He is having trouble finiding himself a decent gal here ]

Then I log on to their site. There is a fair sprinkling of pictures of women students; quotes from women profs and students.

And now I am worried. Does this B school have a reputation of being one for the ladies alone - the kind which insists that women are no different then men but insists on having all kind of support groups to help them cope with the stress and bond with each other ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort
Thanks for your response. I did go through the website. The one year looks impressive and there's a lot of good info/stats in there. Only thing that I couldn't find was the breakup of % recruited - between one year and two year. Would you be having any info?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
MBA2008,

Inspired by your post, I dug a little deeper into this issue. It does appear that in the past, Emory had rather low representation of female students. Indeed, it was in the low 20s compared to many schools that had roughly 30% female representation. It should come as little surprise that the demographic composition of academic programs can attract considerable attention. No academic program wants to be known as unwelcome or hostile to members of underrepresented groups.

While I doubt the school would concur in so many words, I suspect that Emory is trying to exert its strongest effort to avoid looking like the type of school that discourages female candidates. The sad irony, of course, is that these very same efforts might actually frighten away female applicants who suspect why the schools seems to be trying so hard.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
irach,

Sorry, I do not have any stat.s on the recruiting of one year MBA vs. two year MBA students. I would suggest contacting Emory and asking directly regarding the recruiting of one year MBA students. If they attempt to evade a direct answer, make it clear that the employment stat.s of one year students is of great importance in your decision.

PS Please share your answer when you get it.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort,

I visited Emory some time back. From what they told me, the one year recruitment % was higher in 2005 than it was for the 2 year MBAs. Everything there is brand spanking new and they go out of the way to make you feel welcome. I was really impressed by the energy there. This is a school that is definitely going to go up in the rankings. And they have a boatload of cash and lots of scholarships to offer, especially to those with high GMAT scores.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is Emory best at? [#permalink]
hi Hjort,
Some very intriguing notes on Emory-Goizueta on this forum. I am a prospective Goizueta applicant.
Can you please ellaborate on the curricular strengths of Goizueta. I really could not find it on their website. I look at General Management as a good option for myself - a program where I can tailor the course as per my flair and interests. Do you think Goizueta would be a good choice for me.
Thanks a bunch in advance,
Ambrish
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would say that their primary emphasis in recent years has been on General Management. Note, for instance, the stress upon leadership and "core values." A traditional strength has been Accounting.

Are you looking at other Transelite schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re:What is Emory best at? [#permalink]
hi Hjort,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes I am planning to pick 2 transelite schools for my kitty of bschools where I wish to apply. I took my GMAT and scored 730 with 38 - verbal 50 quant and 4.0 AWA and I wish to apply in 2006.

Goizueta is one of the transelite schools I have picked and still looking for the other. Being an indian, I know the average GMAT for indians is high and there would be a lot of applicants from the Male/Indian/IT pool. Any suggestions as to which school should I pick as the second transelite school.

Do you think Goizueta would be a good safety school for me, or should I still go down the ranking to find one.

Regards,
Ambrish
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Alumni Mass Index

Northeast: Moderate
West: S
Midwest: S