GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 19:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

1.667 GPA. Can I still get into a top business school for the MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
1.667 GPA. Can I still get into a top business school for the MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 18:12
I was wondering with such a low GPA (I have a valid reason / story) would I still be able to get into a good business school to do my MBA?

I am willing to do an Post grad in finance to prove that I can get a good school. Basically my first two years were trash final two years were really good.

Any tips advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: 1.667 GPA. Can I still get into a top business school for the MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 18:34
Tough but with some explaining and proof you may be able to get over it. You may need some professional help with an admissions consultant to get their input.

Traditionally, anything under 3.0 is “low” GPA

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
Re: 1.667 GPA. Can I still get into a top business school for the MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 22:49
bb wrote:
Tough but with some explaining and proof you may be able to get over it. You may need some professional help with an admissions consultant to get their input.

Traditionally, anything under 3.0 is “low” GPA

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you! yeah I have been speaking to some consultants and they say the same thing. Turns out my GPA is actually that low. Just converting it from AUS to USA is a bit difficult. Looking forward to the challenger.

Just wanted to establish if I was wasting my time or not.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 00:42
Hi ,
I think I found one of the right threads , this is what was going on my mind. I already have a post graduate degree , my gpa in post grad is : 3.6 , however my undergrad gpa is : 2.4 .
Do I hold a chance to convince the ad-comm ? Can I cover it up with my last education degree that is my post graduation ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

" Can't stop learning and failing"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 12:48
Hey beachlifetime

Thanks for posting. This is a difficult number. It sounds like it's an Australian GPA? So one thing you could do is email one or two MBA programs and tell them what the Australian number is and ask them how they would convert it. Some schools may say you don't need to.

In the meantime, I highly recommend you complete HBX Core and do well in it. You are the type of person who will need an alternative transcript. HBX Core is not cheap, but it's the best signal to the AdCom that whatever happened in undergrad will not happen again in b-school

You are also in optional essay territory! You'll have to write an optional essay for each program where you explain what happened and why.

Lastly, you will need to nail the GMAT to help compensate for this. You have to show the AdComs that you are an intelligent individual and the GMAT is one proxy for that.

I hope that helps a bit! All the best for your journey.

Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 03:49
beachlifetime wrote:
I was wondering with such a low GPA (I have a valid reason / story) would I still be able to get into a good business school to do my MBA?

I am willing to do an Post grad in finance to prove that I can get a good school. Basically my first two years were trash final two years were really good.

Any tips advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I am pretty sure we have been emailing separately about this! However with the extra context that it is Australian, I would like to learn more. Often the conversions are not quite as favorable. It still doesn't make it good but seeing a transcript would help a bit.

I think the post grad is the way to go here!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 06:18
Not a consultant just a fellow applicant and unfortunately GPA is something that schools submit into rankings no matter how removed from them you are. So you have to accept for a fact you are at a significant grade disadvantage in your application no matter what. That said while the GPA number doesn't change if you can explain that story (weaving it into your overall narrative) and develop an alternative transcript via grad work or some local quant courses (if you had some C or worse grades you can take these classes specifically), it will go a looonngg way.

No matter what admin consultants may say to you your odds of a "top" school are pretty atrocious. BUT that doesn't mean it's impossible. Every year a few people get into each of these elite programs with a terrible cumulative GPA because they have incredible stories (and a good GMAT score always helps). I don't know if I"ve actually added any information haha but in summary:

- Yes you're in a hole, that's just something you can't escape
- No it doesn't mean it's not worth even trying to get into a top school

Depending on your goals/background is a grad degree in finance really worth the time/investment just for grades? You can do that with just a few local Uni courses or online ones with a HBS/Wharton.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Re: 1.667 GPA. Can I still get into a top business school for the MBA? &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 06:18

1.667 GPA. Can I still get into a top business school for the MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hatakekakashi, gmatexam439

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap