It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 11:11

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

12 Hours to Test, Hand Injury!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

12 Hours to Test, Hand Injury! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 17:32
Oh dear. Long time lurker and I was hoping my first post would be able my big success after my test tomorrow morning! But here I am, less than 12 hours away and my confidence is wavering. Earlier this evening I was working, and through a very odd set of circumstances, ended up with second degree burns on my right hand. The burns are very fresh and I'm frankly not sure how much worse it will get, but it is already nearly impossible for my to move my right index finger because of the blistering.

This is a very odd question, but has anyone had to take the test one-handed before? I'm mostly worried about my typing abilities being limited for the essay portion, and being slow/painful to click through the questions. Also, I'm worried the pain and anxiety has just totally thrown my mojo off. I've already had to postpone the exam once thanks to the timing of hurricane Irma and I cannot handle another setback/reschedule!

Any words of wisdom or comfort would be much appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: 12 Hours to Test, Hand Injury! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 19:21
lpaulsen33 wrote:
Oh dear. Long time lurker and I was hoping my first post would be able my big success after my test tomorrow morning! But here I am, less than 12 hours away and my confidence is wavering. Earlier this evening I was working, and through a very odd set of circumstances, ended up with second degree burns on my right hand. The burns are very fresh and I'm frankly not sure how much worse it will get, but it is already nearly impossible for my to move my right index finger because of the blistering.

This is a very odd question, but has anyone had to take the test one-handed before? I'm mostly worried about my typing abilities being limited for the essay portion, and being slow/painful to click through the questions. Also, I'm worried the pain and anxiety has just totally thrown my mojo off. I've already had to postpone the exam once thanks to the timing of hurricane Irma and I cannot handle another setback/reschedule!

Any words of wisdom or comfort would be much appreciated.
You won't be able to cancel the test now, so that's not an option. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and take the test if there were no medical reasons not to (maybe you've been advised to rest your hand). Check how much it hurts, whether you normally write with your right or left hand, and if there is a medical facility nearby. In any case, ensure that you let the people at the center know.

Again, if I were you, I'd be ready to take the exam a second time. Don't look at it as a setback: some test takers actually book two appointments so that they can get a little bit of familiarity with the test before their "real" attempt.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29401 [0], given: 5325

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 19:28
Oh man. Sorry to hear that.

There is not much you can do besides maybe calling GMAC and see if they give you a medical waiver (I have not heard but would not hurt to call and try).
Otherwise if you are right handed - it will be rough. You will have an issue typing and clicking (you can use shortcuts).

I am leaning towards taking the exam (as long as the pain is not distracting) and if you bomb AWA, then it is a very minor thing you can very well explain.

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Last edited by bb on 17 Nov 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Edited out the no-show record

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 284 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: 12 Hours to Test, Hand Injury! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
You can always skip it and submit an optional essay to explain the no-show on your report.... you can go and take but many schools ask for your score history and you will have to disclose the score.
bb, if lpaulsen33 doesn't take the test, it will not show up on his/her (school) score report.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 284 [1], given: 6

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 20:03
GMAC no longer puts a no-show on the report if one does not show up?

P.S. I just went through GMAT Handbook and indeed - there is no reference to the "no show" - thank you for pointing that out. I will go back and revise my post.

AjiteshArun wrote:
bb wrote:
You can always skip it and submit an optional essay to explain the no-show on your report.... you can go and take but many schools ask for your score history and you will have to disclose the score.
bb, if lpaulsen33 doesn't take the test, it will not show up on his/her (school) score report.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Last edited by bb on 17 Nov 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Edit

12 Hours to Test, Hand Injury!   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 20:03

12 Hours to Test, Hand Injury!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap