It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1500 word essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Schools: Booth '19
1500 word essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 09:16
Hi

My current HBS essay is around 1400-1500 words. Content-wise I think it's pretty strong. HBS claims to have no word limit, but would you guys say that's still too long? Thanks

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: 1500 word essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 10:31
FacePalmist wrote:
Hi

My current HBS essay is around 1400-1500 words. Content-wise I think it's pretty strong. HBS claims to have no word limit, but would you guys say that's still too long? Thanks

That is definitely on the long end. It is possible to have a strong essay that is that long, but most of them are shorter. I would target closer to 1,000. It is hard to say without seeing your essay but you would be at the high end for sure.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 19:20
FacePalmist wrote:
Hi

From Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts), http://www.mbaadmit.com, email: info@mbaadmit.com

I am certain applicants for the 2017-2018 HBS admissions cycle have similar concerns since the essay question remained the same as last year, so here is our advice about the ideal length for Harvard's open-ended, no-word-limit essay... this excerpt is from a longer blog that we at MBA Admit.com wrote entitled “HBS Single Essay 2017-18: How to Approach?!! (Don't Panic!)”, which you can see in its entirety here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/hbs-single-essay-2017-18-how-to-approach-don-t-panic-240770.html

Length

Don’t submit a book-of-an-essay that is 3,000 words or longer. We are sure you have led an amazing life and have enough accomplishments to fill a 3,000 essay, but the admissions committee will not want to read something that long and may be left thinking your ego is a little too healthy in size.

In most cases, you also should not submit a hyper-short essay that is 100 words or less. To do this can be read as arrogant, even if your credentials are outstanding in every way (professional, academic, and extracurricular). Are there exceptions to this? Of course. If you are an under-represented candidate who graduated Summa Cum Laude from college, have had promotions at a prestigious company like Morgan Stanley, have always received the top performance ratings, scored a 770 GMAT score, were student government president for three years during college and are certain you will receive glowing recommendations, perhaps you can afford to submit the 100-word essay. The rest of your application will speak amazingly to your credentials! But, most candidates don’t fit this profile, so you should use the essay as premium space to “make your case” to the admission committee.

As you decide on the ideal length, bear in mind that in the past couple of years, a typical-length MBA admissions essay set allowed for approximately 1,000-1,600 words, so that can give you a sense of what might be considered appropriate and not excessive in terms of a word limit. You may be able to state your case in 600-1,100 words.

Hope that helps! Feel free to reach out to us if you need anything. info@mbaadmit.com

Dr. Shel

From MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable MBA admissions consulting companies. Comprehensive service for approx. $1695-$1995 for the first application and approximately $500-900 for work on the essays of a second application. Basic editing: $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder of MBA Admit,.com, is a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as an applicant to a top MBA program? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel. Fill out the form on our homepage at http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Top Contributor
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
1500 word essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 00:06
Top Contributor
FacePalmist wrote:
Hi

You may be able to cut this down to around 1200, if not 1000-1100 by focusing a bit on where there may be too much explanation. They are of course not going to count every word, but the essence is that does the essay seem a bit stretched out in parts and therefore not as engaging as in others? Its tough to comment without really seeing it, but we would guess once you go over it critically, and get advice from some people who read it, you may be able to pare it down a bit.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Last edited by GyanOne on 08 Jun 2017, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 20

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 06:54
I am glad this line is revived as it will help current HBS applicants... Yes, I would tend to agree that in most cases 1500 words would be on the long end and there are likely things you can condense. By condense, I literally mean say things more concisely; if you know how to "condense" language well, you won't have to cut out ideas, you just use words more efficiently to express the ideas. Many of our candidates at MBA Admit.com submit HBS essays between 1000-1200 words and gain admission to Harvard with essays of that length. An essay around 750-850 words can likely also do the job.

From MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable MBA admissions consulting companies. Comprehensive service for approx. $1695-$1995 for the first application and approximately $500-900 for work on the essays of a second application. Basic editing: $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder of MBA Admit,.com, is a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as an applicant to a top MBA program? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel. Fill out the form on our homepage at http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 11:34
You're definitely on the longer side and HBS in recent years has subtly dropped hints that they are looking for more concise approaches to their essay. Now just because you're essay is a certain length does not mean it is necessarily good or bad. It's all about the content so take a look and review and identify opportunities to be more concise and impactful. Think of this essay as if you were talking to a friend, you want to be that personable and inviting but making sure to hit on all the points that are relevant in your response.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Re: 1500 word essay   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2017, 11:34