Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: 1st GMAT 600, 2nd 510 but cancelled. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shohrat6383 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am 33, from Turkmenistan, and have 11 years of work experience, including 7 years on managerial positions in an international company. I took my 1st GMAT a month ago and the 2nd few days ago. While I hoped to improve my score the 2nd time, it went down. After seeing 510 in my 2nd GMAT, I cancelled the score. It is very sad. I took the 2nd GMAT, because I came back late to my seat for the quant section in my 1st GMAT and missed 2-3 minutes. Then I got nervous and couldn't manage my time very well. I think I managed my time quite well in the 2nd GMAT, but still don't know how it could happen that my score worsened for 90 points. Now I don't know if I should retake the GMAT or if I should apply with my best score of 600. I am planning to apply for the Fall 2017. My another problem is that my GPA is low. I think it is about 2.47/4.00 when converting into the American scale. That's why I wanted to score higher than 650 in order to be considered for the schools such as Texas Baylor, Oklahoma Price, Mccombs, Mays and so on. Can anyone advise me what to do. Thanks.

Regards,
Shohrat

Hi Shohrat,

I am sorry that the test day did not go as planned.
Your scores show a clear lack of understanding of fundamentals.
Not completing the test attracts a huge penalty and can be attributed towards your low score.

Questions related to the GMAT:

1. Were you mentally or physically exhausted before the test?
2. Did you sleep properly the night before the test?
3. Did you take both breaks between the test?

Preparation Questions:

1. Did you complete the OG and the Verbal Review?
2. Did you complete all the lectures and the problems from the On Demand Course?

Going forward, try to drill down deep in each problem type and figure out your exact problem.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Try to find out the particular topic that troubles you. For Example: Number System, Algebra, Geometry are the topics on which many questions are asked. You should be very thorough with these topics.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

Also, you should not convert your GPA to the US scale. It will more often than not give you incorrect results and leave you tensed. The schools have a fair bit of idea on how to compare the GPAs of students from different countries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 2.7
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
shohrat6383,

I'm no GMAT expert, but I can tell you this: If you have been doing the same thing for 2 years and you haven't gotten where you wanted to, then doing more of the same probably won't get you much farther either. Doing exactly the same thing and excepting different results is a common mistake, and often very easy to fix.

It appears that your verbal scores are the ones that are dragging you down the most. I could be wrong, but if I were you, I'd stop trying to take these online courses and start READING books in English. You don't necessarily have to read technical books, but use this opportunity to get used to English structures and try to practice your understanding and concentration. Trying to improve through the development of methods to solve questions is just ONE way, out of many, to improve your score.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
1st GMAT 600, 2nd 510 but cancelled. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Shohrat,

I have some questions about the CATs that you took this year:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE you took the CAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 13 May 2016, 10:47.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 13 May 2016, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Janielle,

I completed the test both times on time. So I think I didn't get any penalty.

1. I think I wasn't mentally or physically exhausted before the test. Usually I work and study a lot and usually sleep 6.30-7 hours a day, if that can affect my mental or physical conditions.
2. I slept for about 7-8 hours the night before the test.
3. I took both breaks between the test.

Preparation Questions:

1. I think I completed most of OG and Verbal Review parts.
2. I did complete all the lectures and most of the problems from the On Demand Course

I think I should really start preparing an error log if I decide to retake the GMAT.

Thanks,
Shohrat
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Shohrat,

To start, you'll likely receive more responses if you post your story in the Shared Experiences Forum here: How should I post my story here?

share-gmat-experience-8/

I have some questions about the CATs that you took this year:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? I did so about 90% of time.
2) Did you take them at home? At home or at work.
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? Not always.
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? Maybe I took 10-minute breaks mistakenly (that is 2 more minutes). Sometimes I drank a cup of water or tea during the CAT. Nothing else different.
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE you took the CAT? No.

Rich

Thanks,
Shohrat
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Shohrat,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's likely what happened here. By taking your CATs in an inconsistent way - skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6277 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Shorrat, I’m sorry to hear about your recent GMAT struggles. In regard to your next steps, have you reached out to the schools to which you plan to apply? If not, I suggest you give them a call to discuss your situation. Perhaps someone in admissions can provide some more clarity on whether you need to retake the GMAT.

If you do have to retake your GMAT, you should start by doing a thorough analysis of exactly how you prepped for your first exam. Do you feel that you had a full understanding of all GMAT topics? If not, you should consider finding a new study resource. The best advice that I can provide is to find prep materials that that will allow you to do more focused learning and practice.

Ideally, your study resource should allow you to learn a topic and then practice that topic until it completely sticks. For example, if you are learning about Number Properties you want to make sure you learn everything possible about that topic, e.g., LCM, GCF, prime factors, divisibility, remainders, etc. After that, be sure to practice a lot of questions (50 or more) just on Number Properties. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have mastered that topic. Although this is just one example, you would want to follow this process for all sections tested on the GMAT.

If you are able to connect with anyone in admissions let us know what they say. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Shorrat, I’m sorry to hear about your recent GMAT struggles. In regard to your next steps, have you reached out to the schools to which you plan to apply? If not, I suggest you give them a call to discuss your situation. Perhaps someone in admissions can provide some more clarity on whether you need to retake the GMAT.

If you do have to retake your GMAT, you should start by doing a thorough analysis of exactly how you prepped for your first exam. Do you feel that you had a full understanding of all GMAT topics? If not, you should consider finding a new study resource. The best advice that I can provide is to find prep materials that that will allow you to do more focused learning and practice.

Ideally, your study resource should allow you to learn a topic and then practice that topic until it completely sticks. For example, if you are learning about Number Properties you want to make sure you learn everything possible about that topic, e.g., LCM, GCF, prime factors, divisibility, remainders, etc. After that, be sure to practice a lot of questions (50 or more) just on Number Properties. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have mastered that topic. Although this is just one example, you would want to follow this process for all sections tested on the GMAT.

If you are able to connect with anyone in admissions let us know what they say. Good luck!

You think practicing a lot of question, like 50 questions is going to help? GMAT doesn't work like that. I'd be very skeptical of listening to this advice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts