It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2-3 month left to prep for GMAT, what material do I need?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

2-3 month left to prep for GMAT, what material do I need? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 09:26
I am a senior in college applying for Master of Finance for fall 2018, I need to take the exam before January 2018.
I took it late August and got 500, it is very bad, I know. Every section is my week spot. For preparation, I went through OG 2017 but from the result, it is not enough.
I read a lot of prep book recommendations, some says Manhattan Prep series is good, but I found out they have 10 GMAT Strategy Guides plus several supplements. (Foundations of Math & Verbal Supplements,GMAT Advanced Quant etc.) Also, I know that The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible is very good.

Now, the only physical materials I have are OG 2016 and Manhattan Sentence Correction; I have registered for a Magoosh account.
I am still finishing up my last year of undergraduate study as a full time student at school, I can do at most 1 hour per night during weekdays and 8 hours per day during weekends (approximately 20 hours per week).
What else (books, online prep program etc.) would I need to make a substantial improvement to my scores??? My GPA is not competitive at all, so I need at least 700 GMAT score to make a difference (I guess). Thanks in advance.

Thanks, but I think you might not understand me correctly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My current possession:
OG 2016 and Manhattan Sentence Correction;a Magoosh account.

I am wondering whether I should obtain:
10 GMAT Strategy Guides, Manhattan supplements: Foundations of Math & Verbal Supplements,GMAT Advanced Quant etc.) OR The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible

Targeting 700+ and most recent score is 500 (taken in lat August)

Last edited by panyu2 on 03 Oct 2017, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 17

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
2-3 month left to prep for GMAT, what material do I need? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 10:41
Hi panyu2,

Welcome to GMATClub.

The official guides have a good collection of official questions(that have been retired)
which might help you with the problems for practice. As such, to build the concept
you need to deal with those questions you will definitely be needing the Manhattan guides.
Alternatively, you could also make use of the forum to build your concepts.
The GMATClub tests could also help you to improve your score to Q49 at least.

There is a study plan in place here at GMATClub and should help you
stay focused. There are several other online prep programs which help
you build your concepts. But I don't see the need to sign into one of these,
unless the Manhattan guides are not enough to help build your concepts and
in turn improve your scores to 700.

I would recommend you to buy the GMATPrep Official Bundle[(Exam packs 1 & 2) and Question pack1]
These 4 tests along with the 2 free tests which are available in mba.com will help you understand
where you stand with respect to your preparation and which topics require improvement.
Based on the scores you get in those tests, you could refine your strategy :)

Hope that helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8738 [0], given: 105

Re: 2-3 month left to prep for GMAT, what material do I need? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 10:03
panyu2 wrote:
I am a senior in college applying for Master of Finance for fall 2018, I need to take the exam before January 2018.
I took it late August and got 500, it is very bad, I know. Every section is my week spot. For preparation, I went through OG 2017 but from the result, it is not enough.
I read a lot of prep book recommendations, some says Manhattan Prep series is good, but I found out they have 10 GMAT Strategy Guides plus several supplements. (Foundations of Math & Verbal Supplements,GMAT Advanced Quant etc.) Also, I know that The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible is very good.

Now, the only physical materials I have are OG 2016 and Manhattan Sentence Correction; I have registered for a Magoosh account.
I am still finishing up my last year of undergraduate study as a full time student at school, I can do at most 1 hour per night during weekdays and 8 hours per day during weekends (approximately 20 hours per week).
What else (books, online prep program etc.) would I need to make a substantial improvement to my scores??? My GPA is not competitive at all, so I need at least 700 GMAT score to make a difference (I guess). Thanks in advance.

Thanks, but I think you might not understand me correctly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My current possession:
OG 2016 and Manhattan Sentence Correction;a Magoosh account.

I am wondering whether I should obtain:
10 GMAT Strategy Guides, Manhattan supplements: Foundations of Math & Verbal Supplements,GMAT Advanced Quant etc.) OR The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible

Targeting 700+ and most recent score is 500 (taken in lat August)

Dear panyu2,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I am going to recommend this three month study plan:
3 Month GMAT Study Guide for Beginners
If you follow that study plan carefully, everything you need to get a 700+ will pass before your eyes. I highly recommend the MGMAT books as well--those books are fantastic. Studying those books in addition to following this plan will expose you to another presentation of the same ideas, which is often one way to understand at a deeper level.

Now, I want you to notice my phrasing---all the material will pass before your eyes, but whether you learn it is another matter. Many many students plow through books and study plans, and all this excellent material passes through their eyes, but then they don't learn or remember half of it. There's a whole side to learning that most students don't appreciate.

Insofar as math is a challenge, I will recommend these blog posts:
How to Study for GMAT Math
Number Sense

Insofar as verbal is a challenge, and especially if English is not your native language, I recommend this:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
Developing a habit of reading would be one of the very best things you could do to improve your verbal score.

Overall, you need to cultivate the habits of excellence. You need to integrate excellence into every aspect of your life and preparation. If you can embrace these habits, you can learn deeply and have an excellence performance.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8738 [0], given: 105

Re: 2-3 month left to prep for GMAT, what material do I need?   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2017, 10:03

2-3 month left to prep for GMAT, what material do I need?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap