Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: 2 MBAs a good/bad idea? [#permalink]
yea you would need to drop out. Don't know how favorably that would look in the eyes of the AdCom however
Intern
Intern
Send PM
:(

Right now, I have to complete 7 courses (21 credits) to graduate with a concentration. I have a choice, that I change my degree from MBA (business intelligence) to MS.Information Systems, which also requires me to take 24 credits and will waive all pre-reqs because what I have already completed in MBA were part of pre-req to MS I.S program.

This is nerve wracking.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Option 1 is mentioned above as an MS I.S path,

Option 2 could be dropping out of school and going for MBA in FALL 2009

But at this point I feel i do not have enough work experience which will help me after MBA from a good school.
I only have roughly 2 years experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
At the very least, I would not drop out until you have your high GMAT score done and in the bank. There are many horror stories about people sure they would get their 700 only to score 520 3 times in a row.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Tarmac's advice is right on. Take GMAT. If you score high, and you are set on a top 30 school. Switch to the MS degree.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am 25 yo right now have almost 2 years work experience.. do you think if I get a better score on GMAT will it be a good idea to forgo all my credits earned during 1 year and a half at my present school and go for MBA in Fall 2009?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
johnpeter wrote:
I am 25 yo right now have almost 2 years work experience.. do you think if I get a better score on GMAT will it be a good idea to forgo all my credits earned during 1 year and a half at my present school and go for MBA in Fall 2009?

I don't think anyone can answer that question but you. It depends what you want to do after an MBA, if you're realistically competitive in the top programs now, and your priorities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
johnpeter wrote:
Should I start next MBA right away in 2009 or wait couple of years with my improved score, which apparently will increase my chances of getting in a top tier school.

To me this seems a bit irrational. Why would you want to drop out half way through? After all, there are plenty of people from third-tier schools who do exceptionally well in life, and there are just as many top-school MBA's who fail. While the brand of a school is a good value added to your skills, it is not the defining factor of success. I guess, since most people who surround me at Wharton have a very clear direction in life and the MBA is usually seen as a catalyst of their overall development, it is difficult to see the MBA degree as a commodity or a consumer good that you can discard or upgrade because of the brand.

On the other hand, I think getting into a top tier school after having almost finished this MBA would be totally unrealistic even with a perfect GMAT score. The GMAT is generally used as a predictor of one's ability to crunch numbers ("sustain the quantitative rigor") efficiently during the first year; since you've already been there done that, the fact itself renders GMAT scores useless for any school. It will also be very difficult to explain why you dropped out; in addition, dropping out of school would also hurt your academic record. B-schools are quite big on the idea that where you have been is a good predictor of where you would go (past is a predictor of future), so strictly speaking they would probably not accept a person who dropped out of an MBA program once.

If I were you, I would finish your MBA and do the best I can with it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
johnpeter wrote:
Option 1 is mentioned above as an MS I.S path,

Option 2 could be dropping out of school and going for MBA in FALL 2009

But at this point I feel i do not have enough work experience which will help me after MBA from a good school.
I only have roughly 2 years experience.

Is your current MBA free? If I have to face this situation, I'd be asking myself whether I want to spend $100k+ on an MBA after I've already worked through 75% of the courses in an MBA program. Also, if I were in your situation, I'd be spending time trying to find whatever connections I can get from school's career services, other students, and alumni to get the job I want after graduation, rather than spending time re-doing math & verbal.

But if you're very young, independently wealthy, and determined on applying for top 30, take the GMAT and Option 1. At least you'll get some kind of degree and your money wouldn't go to waste. If you apply in a couple of years, you can sort of spin the MS I.S. degree as being too narrowly focused and you need an MBA to bridge your skill set.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I think Chicago is one of the few top tier schools that allow you to apply for an MBA if you already have one, not sure what those acceptance rates look like though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is your current MBA free? If I have to face this situation, I'd be asking myself whether I want to spend $100k+ on an MBA after I've already worked through 75% of the courses in an MBA program. Also, if I were in your situation, I'd be spending time trying to find whatever connections I can get from school's career services, other students, and alumni to get the job I want after graduation, rather than spending time re-doing math & verbal.

But if you're very young, independently wealthy, and determined on applying for top 30, take the GMAT and Option 1. At least you'll get some kind of degree and your money wouldn't go to waste. If you apply in a couple of years, you can sort of spin the MS I.S. degree as being too narrowly focused and you need an MBA to bridge your skill set.[/quote]

Thank you for your suggestions. Half of my current MBA is being paid by my company and half out of my own pocket.
GMAT Club Bot