GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

2nd Mock (660 Q44 V36) - Not understanding CAT algorithm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
2nd Mock (660 Q44 V36) - Not understanding CAT algorithm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 16:11
Hi everyone,

I just came out of the 2nd mock, and the Quan. results utterly surprised me.

Not only did I get more questions correct compared to the 1st (8 vs. 12), but I also had no more than 2 wrongs in a row - a significant improvement vs. getting 6 wrongs in a row in the 1st mock. Please see below the profiles of the 1st vs. 2nd mock comparison.

Yet here I am, a measly Q44 - 5 points drop from the 1st mock. How could that be? :shocked

On a side note, I noticed the GMAT Official Prep loaded MUCH slower today compared to the 1st mock, and every time I answered a question, a blue pop-up box "evaluating question" would come up and stick around for 5 - 10 seconds - Could this have an effect on CAT?

1st Mock Quan (Q49):

2nd Mock Quan (Q44):
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: 2nd Mock (660 Q44 V36) - Not understanding CAT algorithm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 08:59
kuja wrote:
Hi everyone,

Not only did I get more questions correct compared to the 1st (8 vs. 12), but I also had no more than 2 wrongs in a row - a significant improvement vs. getting 6 wrongs in a row in the 1st mock. Please see below the profiles of the 1st vs. 2nd mock comparison.

Yet here I am, a measly Q44 - 5 points drop from the 1st mock. How could that be? :shocked

On a side note, I noticed the GMAT Official Prep loaded MUCH slower today compared to the 1st mock, and every time I answered a question, a blue pop-up box "evaluating question" would come up and stick around for 5 - 10 seconds - Could this have an effect on CAT?
It's hard to say just how well the new platform works, but trying to use the number of correct answers to predict what the score will be is just not possible on adaptive exams such as the GMAT (and the GMATPrep practice tests). We have no idea about the characteristics of the questions you received in the tests you took, so there is really no way to tell. For example, if you got generally simpler questions in the second test, you'd have to get many more questions correct (than you got on your first test) in order to achieve the same level of performance.

I suggest that you take this score as representative. Even if something is off with the scoring on the new platform, you probably won't get to know any time soon. Just keep working, and take more tests.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 17:07
AjiteshArun wrote:
kuja wrote:
Hi everyone,

It's hard to say just how well the new platform works, but trying to use the number of correct answers to predict what the score will be is just not possible on adaptive exams such as the GMAT (and the GMATPrep practice tests). We have no idea about the characteristics of the questions you received in the tests you took, so there is really no way to tell. For example, if you got generally simpler questions in the second test, you'd have to get many more questions correct (than you got on your first test) in order to achieve the same level of performance.

I suggest that you take this score as representative. Even if something is off with the scoring on the new platform, you probably won't get to know any time soon. Just keep working, and take more tests.

Thanks for the feedback.

I must add that I used different approaches for the 2 mocks. The 1st mock I spend more efforts to get the 1st half right, and then leave the 2nd half to chances a bit. The 2nd mock I had a more even pacing throughout and try to "spread out" the errors, which by consensus should be the better approach.

Now that I think about it, I was a lot more fresh going into 1st mock than the 2nd so no doubt that can have an impact. I will for sure rest few days before doing another practice set and most definitely before the actual exam.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 18:13
kuja wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
kuja wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

I must add that I used different approaches for the 2 mocks. The 1st mock I spend more efforts to get the 1st half right, and then leave the 2nd half to chances a bit. The 2nd mock I had a more even pacing throughout and try to "spread out" the errors, which by consensus should be the better approach.

Now that I think about it, I was a lot more fresh going into 1st mock than the 2nd so no doubt that can have an impact. I will for sure rest few days before doing another practice set and most definitely before the actual exam.

You should see the post by Bunuel [1]. Might explain why the first practice test you took was much better than the second.

[1] https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-so ... 46146.html

I also just took a practice test with the new browser version about an hour ago and scored Q50, also with 12 incorrect answers. Here's what mine looked like:
Attachments

Q50.PNG
Q50.PNG [ 26.62 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 07:34
TippingPoint93 wrote:
kuja wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

You should see the post by Bunuel [1]. Might explain why the first practice test you took was much better than the second.

[1] https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-so ... 46146.html

I also just took a practice test with the new browser version about an hour ago and scored Q50, also with 12 incorrect answers. Here's what mine looked like:

Thanks a lot for sharing the post and your test profile!

I noticed that you have only few incorrect in the 1st half (just like my first mock). It's almost as if for every question you get wrong above that threshold, you can expect 2 points drop and the damage is not reversible. :shocked

It's settled then, I shall refer back to my initial strategy and carry on. :thumbup:
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 09:51
Hi kuja,

You ask a great question; however, outside of GMAC, no one truly knows the mechanics of the GMAC algorithm.

My advice is to spend your time on the things you can control. One thing you can control is your GMAT skills. If you get to a place where you can dominate GMAT quant, the mechanics of the GMAT scoring algorithm won’t matter because you will have the skills you need to get an amazing GMAT quant score.

With that said, when is your GMAT? What is your GMAT score goal?

If you have any further questions, please reach out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 07:13
kuja wrote:

I noticed that you have only few incorrect in the 1st half (just like my first mock). It's almost as if for every question you get wrong above that threshold, you can expect 2 points drop and the damage is not reversible. :shocked

It's settled then, I shall refer back to my initial strategy and carry on. :thumbup:

No Problem! and if it helps, I just took another one. Missed just 6 questions and still got Q50. I was a bit shocked at not getting 51 with just 6 incorrect but I guess since the test is adaptive, it doesn't matter.
Attachments

Q50 - 6 incorrect.png
Q50 - 6 incorrect.png [ 195.73 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 18:34
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi kuja,

You ask a great question; however, outside of GMAC, no one truly knows the mechanics of the GMAC algorithm.

My advice is to spend your time on the things you can control. One thing you can control is your GMAT skills. If you get to a place where you can dominate GMAT quant, the mechanics of the GMAT scoring algorithm won’t matter because you will have the skills you need to get an amazing GMAT quant score.

With that said, when is your GMAT? What is your GMAT score goal?

If you have any further questions, please reach out.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, but I did my first exam today! Please see my post just now - https://gmatclub.com/forum/1st-exam-670 ... 71213.html
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 18:35
TippingPoint93 wrote:
kuja wrote:

No Problem! and if it helps, I just took another one. Missed just 6 questions and still got Q50. I was a bit shocked at not getting 51 with just 6 incorrect but I guess since the test is adaptive, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for sharing! It seems you can score Q50 quite easily and effortlessly, for how long have you been in this game?
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 19:10
kuja wrote:
TippingPoint93 wrote:
kuja wrote:

Thanks for sharing! It seems you can score Q50 quite easily and effortlessly, for how long have you been in this game?

Haha not easily. But I studied (summarized the 9 MGMAT guides) back in January in about 2 weeks and didn't touch or think about the GMAT again until May, which was when I start consistently studying. I put all of my time in May and June into Quant. Started with OG for Quant review (300 problems) and took a practice and scored Q46 in May. I then did Jeff Sackman's 1,000 challenge questions and MGMAT Advanced Quant guide, and both practice tests I've taken since then have been Q50. I'm now trying to push my Verbal score from 34 to 45+ (hopefully) ha. And congrats on your first exam -- it's never a bad decision to get your feet wet.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 16:29
TippingPoint93 wrote:
kuja wrote:
TippingPoint93 wrote:

Haha not easily. But I studied (summarized the 9 MGMAT guides) back in January in about 2 weeks and didn't touch or think about the GMAT again until May, which was when I start consistently studying. I put all of my time in May and June into Quant. Started with OG for Quant review (300 problems) and took a practice and scored Q46 in May. I then did Jeff Sackman's 1,000 challenge questions and MGMAT Advanced Quant guide, and both practice tests I've taken since then have been Q50. I'm now trying to push my Verbal score from 34 to 45+ (hopefully) ha. And congrats on your first exam -- it's never a bad decision to get your feet wet.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely start the doing the MPrep Adv. Prep after taking a break this week, and hopefully that will get me to Q50 too. I am bit surprised how volatile my Quant. performance is, since 44 to 49 is a pretty wide range. I originally expect that to happen for Verbal but it turned out to be pretty stable (34 to 36).

What are you doing now for Verbal if you don't mind sharing? SC is by far my worst section, and I always get more incorrect there than CR and RC combined.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 17:07
kuja wrote:
kuja wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely start the doing the MPrep Adv. Prep after taking a break this week, and hopefully that will get me to Q50 too. I am bit surprised how volatile my Quant. performance is, since 44 to 49 is a pretty wide range. I originally expect that to happen for Verbal but it turned out to be pretty stable (34 to 36).

What are you doing now for Verbal if you don't mind sharing? SC is by far my worst section, and I always get more incorrect there than CR and RC combined.

Personally, I felt Jeff Sackman's Sets were more useful because it has more questions, and it's divided into sections -- I was able to drill into Sections I was wasn't the best at (geometry). The questions also felt more logic driven with subtle tricks, similar to that of the OG, than just being plain "difficult" and time-consuming -- I still haven't been able to score above Q43 on Manhattan CATs, my score never improved. MGMAT Advanced Quant guide was also useful as well; it just didn't have enough practice problems, IMO.

For Verbal, I considered taking a class but I'm a native speaker so I'm going to try self-studying first. MGMAT SC guide is phenomenal, but I did not find its CR guide to be useful (I read through the whole thing twice). I got PowerScore CR Bible, and so far, I think it's much better than MGMAT -- it breaks down all types of CR questions and gives you strategies to tackle each one of them. I bought Kaplan 800 and the Kaplan Verbal workbook to gain access to the Kaplan CATs, so I'll try those workbooks first and see how it goes. My worst section by far is RC, I spend way too much time on the passages and then end up having to guess at the end. I'm happy to hear any tips you have as well. I need all the help I can get :-)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 17:00
TippingPoint93 wrote:

Personally, I felt Jeff Sackman's Sets were more useful because it has more questions, and it's divided into sections -- I was able to drill into Sections I was wasn't the best at (geometry). The questions also felt more logic driven with subtle tricks, similar to that of the OG, than just being plain "difficult" and time-consuming -- I still haven't been able to score above Q43 on Manhattan CATs, my score never improved. MGMAT Advanced Quant guide was also useful as well; it just didn't have enough practice problems, IMO.

For Verbal, I considered taking a class but I'm a native speaker so I'm going to try self-studying first. MGMAT SC guide is phenomenal, but I did not find its CR guide to be useful (I read through the whole thing twice). I got PowerScore CR Bible, and so far, I think it's much better than MGMAT -- it breaks down all types of CR questions and gives you strategies to tackle each one of them. I bought Kaplan 800 and the Kaplan Verbal workbook to gain access to the Kaplan CATs, so I'll try those workbooks first and see how it goes. My worst section by far is RC, I spend way too much time on the passages and then end up having to guess at the end. I'm happy to hear any tips you have as well. I need all the help I can get :-)

Considering that I am a novice, I am not sure if I am in any position to provide any sort of tips ;). I think I am stronger in RC and CR mainly because they don't require strong grasp of foundation knowledge to progress, whereas in SC, PS, DS, if you happen to forget anything you are dead in the water. However, I did find the MPrep guides useful as well - The passage map technique did help me cut down time considerably, have you tried that and see how it goes?

Also, keep in mind that RC is probably the most restrictive in terms of the questions they can ask you - It's always 1) Main idea/tone, 2) What's the function of this point in relation to XYZ, 3) Inference - What's the author most likely agree/disagree with, which of the below examples fit what was described in XYZ. If you thought about these while making the passage map, you can nail down all the questions pretty rapidly. I usually spent 3 - 4 minutes doing the map and then take 30s to answer each question, so RC is absolutely a time-saver for me.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 2nd Mock (660 Q44 V36) - Not understanding CAT algorithm &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 17:00

2nd Mock (660 Q44 V36) - Not understanding CAT algorithm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap