GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 Year MBA Application Prep

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
3 Year MBA Application Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 20:40
Hey GMAT Club! I'm in need of some advice relating to what I can do over the next 3 years to pull together a solid MBA applicant profile.

Here's a little bit of a background on myself:
- Graduated with a degree in engineering from a large state school in December of 2016
- Summa Cum Laude (GPA: 3.8 - 3.9, 3.9+ in major)
- Took the GMAT in the Summer of 2017
- 760 (V44 /Q50/AWA6/IR8)
- Started working in Banking at the end of the Summer of 2017
- Plan to apply to B-School before my test score expires (5 years from the exam date)

My main concern is that I'll be lacking in leadership and extracurricular activities, due to the long hours of my job. I'm sure there are potential other pitfalls I'm not considering as well.

Do you guys have any advice on how to best utilize my time over the next few years to better position myself for the MBA application process?

Thanks!
Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: 3 Year MBA Application Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 21:46
GrKmP wrote:
Hey GMAT Club! I'm in need of some advice relating to what I can do over the next 3 years to pull together a solid MBA applicant profile.

- Graduated with a degree in engineering from a large state school in December of 2016
- Plan to apply to B-School before my test score expires (5 years from the exam date)

My main concern is that I'll be lacking in leadership and extracurricular activities, due to the long hours of my job. I'm sure there are potential other pitfalls I'm not considering as well.

Do you guys have any advice on how to best utilize my time over the next few years to better position myself for the MBA application process?

Thanks!

1) No details on your Ethnicity/ demographics. For the moment, I have assumed, White American, Male. Happy to be wrong.
2) 3 years is a good time for you to meet MBA Alums from good schools, and understand really what is it that you would want from a B-School. Trust me, it could help you differentiate in a crowded space.
3) Excellent GMAT + GPA + Work Start. Lean towards projects in areas that interest you, so you can improve your post MBA career progression further.
4) Finally, to your question for demonstrating leadership, take initiatives and apply your expertise of banking to volunteer organizations that could desperately benefit from hybrid models that include debt raising, and give them a better model for asset & capital allocation.
If you would rather do something else, get involved with shelters and help them expand their impact.

Many of these can be done remotely, after your first few attempts at due-diligence, understanding their strengths and weaknesses. It is not all easy, but most certainly doable, and very very fulfilling.

Hope that helps.

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 22:54
I agree with everything mentioned above.

I would really recommend that you make time for leadership in extracurriculars because this is a way to make an emotional connection with the admissions committee... a way for them to understand you as candidate instead of a piece of paper with numbers. It gives them flavor texture and a sense of where you're going and where your heart is.

Keep in mind, there is a section on the HBS application that says we want to know who you are outside of work or school and you need to give them your top 3 activities with details. That might serve as a motivator for you :-)

This is probably a crazy proposition but if there's any way you can downshift from 80 hours a week to 60 hours a week with a different job it would be worthwhile for you to do so. Given that it's still a decent company and everything.

Do all that you can to demonstrate leadership in various work projects, maybe get work experience abroad or work with diverse team members at cetera.

If you absolutely have no time to do extracurriculars outside of work see what you can do with regards to volunteering for company philanthroptic initiatives. And definitely get involved with recruitment and mentorship where you work.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Sia Admissions Representative
B
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 09:27
Hi GrKmP,

Thank you for sharing your profile, and congrats on great GMAT and GRE. Indeed, as it has been mentioned, I would focus the next three years on building the EQ aspect of your MBA application. The admissions team needs to see you (the person) outshine your great stats. You will also be in an overrepresented group of applicants with a finance background, so you should work on something that stands on the opposite side of the wealth spectrum. To give you a more concrete example, I would need to know what drives you, and what makes you feel most connected to others. The idea here is that you want to do something you are passionate about where other than feeling a sense of joy for doing something that is bigger than you, you are not compensated for your time or services -- building community. There are multiple ways you can do this, but, again, I would need to know more about you.

The financial sector is filled with overworked associates/analysts, but as the saying goes, "Where there's a will, there's a way!"

Good luck!

GrKmP wrote:

Thanks!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 6696

Contact us for a free consultation
+ 10% off any package

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 17:45
3 year is a long long time...
I would advice you to enjoy your time at your current company and keeping pushing towards better career goals.

Take extra-curriculars that you would feel proud to be associated with. Doing something for 3 years just for the sake of getting your MBA is NOT the right to go my friend. MBA should come at a time where you NEED/WANT it and not because you SHOULD get it.

All the best.

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Average GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Re: 3 Year MBA Application Prep   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2018, 17:45

3 Year MBA Application Prep

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap