GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     February 24, 2019

     February 24, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 6985
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 04:12
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:31) correct 29% (01:35) wrong based on 47 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

[Math Revolution GMAT math practice question]

32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into eight groups of four teams (groups A to H) to compete in the ‘group stage’. Teams in each group play one another in a round-robin competition, with the top two teams of each group advancing to the knockout stage. What is the total number of matches played at the group stage?

A. 24
B. 36
C. 48
D. 56
E. 64

_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 1928
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 04:41
MathRevolution wrote:
[Math Revolution GMAT math practice question]

32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into eight groups of four teams (groups A to H) to compete in the ‘group stage’. Teams in each group play one another in a round-robin competition, with the top two teams of each group advancing to the knockout stage. What is the total number of matches played at the group stage?

A. 24
B. 36
C. 48
D. 56
E. 64



total matches one team plays in each group : 4c2 = 6
total groups = 8
total group matches : 8 * 6 = 48 IMO C
_________________

If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Re: 32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 06:44
Archit3110 wrote:
MathRevolution wrote:
[Math Revolution GMAT math practice question]

32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into eight groups of four teams (groups A to H) to compete in the ‘group stage’. Teams in each group play one another in a round-robin competition, with the top two teams of each group advancing to the knockout stage. What is the total number of matches played at the group stage?

A. 24
B. 36
C. 48
D. 56
E. 64



total matches one team plays in each group : 4c2 = 6
total groups = 8
total group matches : 8 * 6 = 48 IMO C


I arrived at C as well, but am confused by your combination. How would the number of matches a team plays in each group =6 and why would the combo = 4c2?

e.g.
Group A Pairings: (1 v 2, 1 v 3, 1 v 4), (2 v 1, 2 v 3, 2 v 4), (3 v 1, 3 v 2, 3 v 4) (4 v 1, 4 v 2, 4 v 3) and then subtract redundant combinations... leaving you with (1 v 2, 1 v 3, 1 v 4), (2 v 3, 2 v 4) and (3 v 4)


6 unique matches in each group * 8 groups =48


Thanks in advance for your help!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 1928
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 06:50
1
nch2024 wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
MathRevolution wrote:
[Math Revolution GMAT math practice question]

32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into eight groups of four teams (groups A to H) to compete in the ‘group stage’. Teams in each group play one another in a round-robin competition, with the top two teams of each group advancing to the knockout stage. What is the total number of matches played at the group stage?

A. 24
B. 36
C. 48
D. 56
E. 64



total matches one team plays in each group : 4c2 = 6
total groups = 8
total group matches : 8 * 6 = 48 IMO C


I arrived at C as well, but am confused by your combination. How would the number of matches a team plays in each group =6 and why would the combo = 4c2?

e.g.
Group A Pairings: (1 v 2, 1 v 3, 1 v 4), (2 v 1, 2 v 3, 2 v 4), (3 v 1, 3 v 2, 3 v 4) (4 v 1, 4 v 2, 4 v 3) and then subtract redundant combinations... leaving you with (1 v 2, 1 v 3, 1 v 4), (2 v 3, 2 v 4) and (3 v 4)


6 unique matches in each group * 8 groups =48


Thanks in advance for your help!


nch2024
4c2 : means that in a group of 4 teams , each team would play each other once so total no. of matches in the group would played would be 6 or 4c2..
_________________

If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Concentration: Finance, Economics
32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 06:58
Ahh I see now! 4c2 states how many possible pairs can be created from the 4 teams in each group... Thank you!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 6985
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: 32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 17:42
=>

Each group plays 4C2 = 6 games and we have 8 groups.
Thus, the group stage includes 6*8 = 48 games.

Therefore, the answer is C.
Answer: C
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2019, 17:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

32 teams compete in the World Cup of Soccer. They are divided into ei

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.