Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: 327 GRE for M7 Deferred Admission? [#permalink]
axel1444 wrote:
dee1pug1 wrote:
axel1444 wrote:
How acceptable is a 327 GRE for m7 deferred admissions? It's about average or above, so wondering if I would be at a disadvantage given my ORM and banking background­

The deferred MBA is much more competitive than regular since, other than CBS, the seats filled through deferred are very, very few. In light of this, 327 GRE may not be a great place to be specifically for M7 as an ORM. I am not sure what you meant by 'banking background' because a deferred candidate has no work experience, only education degree.
If you are in the final year of your UG / PG, then I presume you are well ahead in your applications prep, as the deadlines are now less than a month away.
Best wishes.
Dee
(MBA admissions consultant)

Thank you for the response. To clarify, I meant that I am returning full time to investment banking, which buckets me into a more traditional career path. The GRE score is probably my weakest point but given the amount of time left I most likely can’t retake, so I’ve just been focusing on my essays
Posted from my mobile device

Then I believe deferred is not for you. It is the regular MBA program route, for which you have the next six months of runway.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
axel1444:

If you were an intern (and are currently still a college student) and are returning to investment banking full-time, then you will qualify for deferred MBA. Please clarify.

What is the breakdown in the GRE score? While an initial start in investment banking is great, it's not really the target for deferred MBA. Many of those programs are looking for non-traditional folks. Perhaps your ORM background will help, but we would need to see the full profile to better understand if you are a good fit for the process.

Let us know if you want to chat.

Admissionado
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
axel1444:

If you were an intern (and are currently still a college student) and are returning to investment banking full-time, then you will qualify for deferred MBA. Please clarify.

What is the breakdown in the GRE score? While an initial start in investment banking is great, it's not really the target for deferred MBA. Many of those programs are looking for non-traditional folks. Perhaps your ORM background will help, but we would need to see the full profile to better understand if you are a good fit for the process.

Admissionado

Thank you for the response. My score breakdown is 163V/164Q. I think I’m most worried about this score being right around the median for these schools, especially since deferred applications are just that much more competitive with my traditional background

The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
327 GRE for M7 Deferred Admission? [#permalink]
Expert Reply

axel1444 wrote:
How acceptable is a 327 GRE for m7 deferred admissions? It's about average or above, so wondering if I would be at a disadvantage given my ORM and banking background­

­Hi axel1444,

Why don't you consider a regular MBA in this case? Deferred MBA as mentioned by others will require you to be in UG/PG. 

As time is of the essence, can we connect and discuss your profile in detail? It will give our admission consultants some insight into your overall profile and choice for deferred/regular MBA. 

Our MBA consultants have helped ample students submit successful applications to M7 and Tier 1 business schools. You can schedule a free profile audit call with the team here

You can also connect with the team via call at +91 7780769732­
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply

axel1444 wrote:
Admissionado wrote:
axel1444:

Admissionado

Thank you for the response. My score breakdown is 163V/164Q. I think I’m most worried about this score being right around the median for these schools, especially since deferred applications are just that much more competitive with my traditional background

Hi, axel1444,

Thank you for your post!

­Firstly,  your 327 GRE score indeed positions you around the median for most M7 business schools, which encompass some of the most prestigious institutions globally. While it's true that deferred admission programs are highly competitive, especially for candidates from over-represented demographics (ORM) with traditional career paths like investment banking, your GRE score alone does not significantly disadvantage you. Furthermore, emphasizing any aspects of your profile that showcase the diversity of thought, resilience, or a commitment to community service could help improve your profile by a lot, as these qualities are highly valued by M7 schools. 

Moreover, since you're indirectly pursuing a short-term goal of returning to investment banking, it's essential to leverage your professional experience and showcase leadership, impact, and progression within the industry. It should become a critical component of your essays, providing a platform to narrate your unique story, articulate your ambitions, and demonstrate how an MBA fits into your career trajectory. Highlighting your contributions to the banking sector, along with any distinctive extracurricular involvements or personal achievements, can offset concerns about your GRE score being average.

Focus on crafting a compelling narrative that aligns your banking experience with the values and strengths of the programs you're applying to. Demonstrating clear long-term career goals and how an MBA will enable you to contribute uniquely to the business world can significantly bolster your application. In summary, it's the holistic presentation of your profile that will determine your candidacy. Through meticulously crafted essays, recommendations, and application materials that highlight your banking expertise, leadership qualities, and future potential, you can present a compelling case to the admissions committees. Remember, M7 schools seek diverse, dynamic cohorts, and your banking background, coupled with a clear vision for your future, can indeed set you apart.

Sorry for the long answer; I hope this helps! :)

Cheers!

Abhyank
Founder & CEO 
BOOK A FREE CALL
MBA and Masters Admissions Consulting

Customer Reviews|Profile Evaluation|School Explorer
Contact us: +91-8448224865  ­
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

axel1444 wrote:

­
Hello axel1444,

Thanks for your query.

Deferred MBA is a lot more competitive; so, the GRE score is definitely not your strength; if the option to retake does not exist, you just have to put your best foot forward with the essays and the rest of the application.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot