Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [52]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [24]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [5]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may [#permalink]
Bookmarks
In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers.
II. More government workers should be fired.
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees.
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may [#permalink]
IMO A

In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers. -- True
II. More government workers should be fired. -- Not mentioned --> C and D out
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees. -- Too broad .. If most was not there i would have gone with this option

(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM

Isn't the option A too broad as we are only talking of the Civil Service employee and not any workers
For the above reason I was moving away from Option A.
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Rohit,

Remember to go with the WUSSIEST answer choices on inference questions. Notice the word CAN...that's not very broad. We have one example where this has happened, so it's NECESSARILY true that job security CAN have a negative influence. "Shoulds" are unlikely, as are any EXTREME words, like "all" "never" "always" or even "most" (As we see in option II).

Hope that helps!

-t
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Will go with A.

I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers.... YES, this is true. This conveys from the end line -This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
II. More government workers should be fired.....Argument is on government inefficiency not on firing...hence OUT OF SCOPE.
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees....the last line has mentioned " This explains..." , here "this" is not referring to civil services rather to the system/company - in which employees know it is hard to fire them. And here civil services is taken an example of this system. Hence this COULD NOT BE THE CHOICE.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
We mostly tend the mistake with our natural ability. I read the last line as "This explains why large part of the government is inefficient" and hence chose B as the answer, however the line says "This explains in large part why the government is inefficient" which states nothing about the employees, hence (3) cannot be inferred.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I'm going to weigh in on this one, at the risk of being incorrect. The thing about questions using the word "infer" is that they expect you to stay SHOCKINGLY close to what's written. We know that statement I can be inferred for the reason that many have explained (loafing due to difficulty to fire). However, even though the last statement says "This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient," we cannot necessarily infer that the writer thinks civil servants are the majority of the government.

Think of it this way, one bad employee at the top of a hierarchy could make the whole thing inefficient. We can think that that one bad employee makes the whole system inefficient without thinking that that employee makes up the majority of the work force.

Therefore I agree that A is the answer.

Hope that helps! (And that I'm right!)

-t

TommyWallach
Is A not generalizing on all workers based on civil service employees? How can A be inferred?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 418
WE:Sales (Consulting)
Send PM

(A) I only - Correct
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only

The passage never mentions anything related to points II & III.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Do such multiple answer questions appear on GMAT ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Think of it this way, one bad employee at the top of a hierarchy could make the whole thing inefficient. We can think that that one bad employee makes the whole system inefficient without thinking that that employee makes up the majority of the work force.

-t

But if we assume in all cases like this that one employ is enough, wouldn't similar questions go wrong? Eg: xyz insect is very poisonous. That's why no one lives here!
You wouldn't say that there is only one insect that is too poisonous? But that there are many...

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Could someone please clearly explain why first statement is correct inspite of the fact that it is too broad and talk about workers in general and why last statement is incorrect?

Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nidhibatra wrote:
Could someone please clearly explain why first statement is correct inspite of the fact that it is too broad and talk about workers in general and why last statement is incorrect?

­This problem is a bit loose--it's clearly not official--but it's important to recognize that A is not broad at all. When we say that something CAN be true, that doesn't mean it applies to more cases beyond what we've seen. For instance, there's a man in my town who was born without arms and has learned to play the guitar with his feet. It's quite impressive to watch, and certainly not something most of us could do. But it CAN happen, because it did in this case. So when we say "X can happen" or "A person can do X," that doesn't mean that it usually/often happens, or even that it has happened more than once. It just means that it isn't completely impossible. ­

As for III, it has no support whatsoever. "Most" means "more than half," but we have no idea what proportion of government workers are Civil Service employees. The argument hasn't even mentioned any other kind of government worker, nor how numerous any type is. 
GMAT Club Bot
In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts